IGNORED

Call for Submissions: IDM Tribute to Antarctica

Hi All. Fred McGriff here. As you may or may not know, each year we at Futonic Records run a "what is the most IDM thing" tournament and pay tribute accordingly via knob twiddling and bandpass filtering and such. Well this year, Antarctica earned the throne as the universe's most IDM thing, and I'm pretty excited about that. So it's my pleasure to announce that we're going to put together a killer compilation again this year to show our love and support for the frosty little continent.

So if you would like to be a part of this exciting event (our third annual tribute... check www.futonicrecords.com for prior tributes), here's what you do:

1. record a track with the IDMness of antarctica in mind. I recommend checking out some awesome pictures or actually visiting the continent yourself. make the track evocative of antarctica (hint: titles help set the mood A LOT).

2. send the track to me via PM or email: futonic -at- gmail -dot- com. my preferred file transfer site is yousendit, megaupload is ok too. try not to use one of those sites where you have to click through 10k pages to access the file. please do not send wavs at this point either. i will have to make zip packs for the judges so wavs are no good. we will ask for wavs if you make it on the comp. the deadline is May 31st, 2009. i will personally give everyone five dollars if no one asks later on in this thread when the deadline is :)

3. do not post the track anywhere else, not in this thread, not in YLC, not on your home page, not anywhere please. the compilation needs to punch the listener right in the nuts when they hear it, so if it's all old shit then we wont achieve that effect. so if the track is posted somewhere else it will not be considered for the compilation.

4. sit back and wait. i will be looking for a panel of 4 or 5 secret judges in the meantime. The first half of june will be spent judging. then we inform those that have submitted the tracks that made the compilation. then from there we will request master files, and move forward with organizing the compilation.

that's it. it should be a lot of fun, and i'm particularly excited about this year. can't wait to hear the results!

we will also have a competition for album artwork--details for that later.

thanks people!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fred, what are the chances of a hard-copy release this year (CD, CDR or vinyl)

Because having a CD in a little box with artwork and stuff is really awesome

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

I'm going to try but that deadline is tight. I have some ideas though so its just whether i get time and those ideas can be put down on sound.

if I don't submit one then I'd like to offer my services as a judge. If i do submit then i won't.

I'm going to try but that deadline is tight. I have some ideas though so its just whether i get time and those ideas can be put down on sound.

if I don't submit one then I'd like to offer my services as a judge. If i do submit then i won't.

you have more than a month and a half to do one track, lol. p168 is pretty nuts though, one week for several tracks?? I can't Imagine.

Guest Adjective

awesome possum

will try to get something in

fred is right about titles. it's a good way to tell the listener, "hey bud, you're still in Antarctica, but you're in a frozen cage in a lab, in a lighthouse, underground, and all the Antarctic scientists are really ice demons slowly cooling the earth's magma in a misguided attempt to hault the earth's rotation to kill tens of tightrope walkers and extreme jugglers. lets ride this bassline out of here"

Guest Tamas

This one sounds fun, I love getting away from whatever I'm working on and making a track that's totally unrelated. =)

Archived