IGNORED

lucid dreaming

Guest viscosity

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Space Coyote

After first finding out what lucid dreaming is I knew it had happened to me on rare occaisions and at random previoudly in my life. A few years ago I was on holidays or had just left university so I had lots of spare time to sleep and seriously practice this. After the initial "hey its working I'm dreaming! ahh crap now I'm waking up really fas-" I was able to get pretty good at it and had at least one lucid dream every sleep. I found that simply trying to train yourself to do reality checks was probably the most effective way to pick it up quickly. I either set the alarm on my wristwatch or just made a habit of checking it every hour, then a moment later after trying to clear my thoughts and distract myself. If the time remained the same (and also I would feel 'awake') I was still awake but almost always if you try it in a dream the time will change or something else random will happen like the watch isn't there when you look again and this was enough to trigger lucidity.

A seperate test I would try if I wasn't sure if I was really dreaming or not (only works if you're actually dreaming at the time) is to turn a light off and on. Almost always it wouldn't work how its supposed to and either the light wouldn't work or it would switch off or on but neither really illuminate or deluminate the room. Both this and the wristwatch technique were something I read online at the time but I'm not sure if they're still the most effective or easiest/quickest to learn.

Bonking the nearest woman, breaking things or assaulting people is usually pretty hard to resist and tends to wake me up soon after but if you can push past those temptations you can have much longer feeling dreams. When I was practicing this more seriously, after having relative frequent success I was able to get over the bonking, breaking and fighting impulse and do some exploring in the dream world. Depending on your concentration and ability to stay in the dream you can do pretty much anything you could ever imagine. One time I was being chased by something I don't remember, became lucid somehow, and was able to stop running, close my eyes and 'teleport' to somewhere else by trying to picture it in my imagination. I'm pretty sure I realised on some level that if I just tried to take on or confront whatever was chasing me that it would've been too intense and woken me up. Other times I've tried to manifest people or objects in front of me and it was too difficult and either just didn't work or I'd wake up due to straining to concentrate. I believe the ability to do things like this improves with practice and more frequent lucid dreaming.

Finally, I got kind of sick of lucid dreaming as my lifestyle is a little busier these days and I usually want as much solid, undisturbed sleep as I can possibly get. I've found that lucid dreams that feel long can leave you feeling like you haven't had enough of a proper sleep.

Guest Rabid

<snip>

Very interesting, A+ post. Do you think it was worth all the effort and would you go back to lucid dreaming?

A

Finally, I got kind of sick of lucid dreaming as my lifestyle is a little busier these days and I usually want as much solid, undisturbed sleep as I can possibly get. I've found that lucid dreams that feel long can leave you feeling like you haven't had enough of a proper sleep.

interesting, it must be very different for certain people. After a night of lucid dreaming i would feel invigorated and euphoric upon wake-up , it never felt draining or tiring in any way. In fact i think probably the best sleeps i've ever gotten were ones where i lucid dreamed

Guest Space Coyote

Very interesting, A+ post. Do you think it was worth all the effort and would you go back to lucid dreaming?

Definately worth the effort but I think I got it easy and from memory it really didn't take much more than a week and a half before it was happening once every two or three sleeps. I think it first started happening more frequently when I'd wake or be woken in the morning then go back to sleep. From there I was able to bring it to my main sleeps and dreams. It felt like a pretty good personal achievement once I had upped the frequency from once in a few months to every sleep or second sleep. I actually only did it for maybe 3 or 4 weeks total before things started picking up in my life and I got distracted. During those 3-4 weeks I wasn't really going out or doing much of anything so I had a lot of time to think about it and practice a lot.

I would like to go back to lucid dreaming as it certainly made life and the mind seem more interesting and wonderous at the time. However as I work nowadays and have trouble getting up for it most mornings, I don't really want to try get back into the 'discipline' of lucid dreaming and risk losing my quality of rest. Especially with the initial 'no bonking, fighting or breaking' learning curve which I suspect I'd need to get past all over again. I believe this is probably the hardest part of LD'ing for me.

It is worth noting that when I brought up the topic of lucid dreaming to a college friend he claimed to do it almost, if not, every sleep. I tried to test him on the spot to find out if he actually knew what I was talking about and was being honest and he seemed legit. He claimed to have pretty awesome abilities in terms of being able to create the situation he wanted to experience, with whatever people or objects (sounds sexual already, hey) he wanted involved. I think he also said he has dreamt like that since as long as he can remember or that he first became lucid when he was a child and was able to quickly develop it on his own into a nightly thing without having read up on the subject, consulting anyone else or even purposefully trying to increase the frequency of it. His young brother died suddenly over the weekend from some sort of accident and head injury and it's very sad :/

interesting, it must be very different for certain people. After a night of lucid dreaming i would feel invigorated and euphoric upon wake-up , it never felt draining or tiring in any way. In fact i think probably the best sleeps i've ever gotten were ones where i lucid dreamed

Agreed, that is interesting. If memory serves me right I think on occaision I would also wake feeling pretty goddamn excited and pumped on waking but that was from LDs that felt shorter thano thers but didn't result in waking from 'bonking, breaking and fighting'. To be honest though I think I only ever had one or two LDs that *felt* long, like I'd spent a half day in this dream world, that resulted in me feeling drained for the remaining day. I'm not sure how this ties in with the idea that in reality we're only dreaming for very short periods of time despite how long dreams can feel sometimes.

i've been having an insane amount of trouble lately getting the dream world to remain stable. I can't remember the last time i had a successful lucid dream where the scenery lasted for more than 10 seconds.

As soon as i discover i am lucid i try to relax and calm down as much as possible but it seems to be counter intuitive because the dream will start fading as soon as i do this. The opposite approach doesn't work for me either right now which is to explode with excitement when i discover i am dreaming, same thing happens.

reply to above, i don't think becoming lucid in a dream takes away from one's normal healthy sleep cycle. You are still in REM sleep, to an outside observer like a doctor there is almost no physical difference between lucid dreaming and normal dreaming. I read this great lucid dreaming book years ago written by a tibetin monk who studied his whole life with 'dream yoga' , the Tibetin bhuddists are some of the earliest recorded people to practice lucid dreaming, they believe that you must eliminate all karmic imbalances not just in reality but also in your dreams in order to be fully at peace. I can totally understand this philosophy. I believe that if you experience something traumatic in a dream (especially one which you no control over) those emotions experienced will effect your mind in an insidious way in your normal waking reality. You may have no idea why you wake up in a terrible mood but possible it's because of some weird dream you had the night before where you were taking for a disturbing ride and had no control.

and yes the planned tattoo will be used as a lucid dreaming induction device, instructing me to do a reality check in writing. it will look cheesy as hell and i don't even like tattoos but i am very confident it will increase my rate of lucid dreams. For me the text check was always the most successful 'reality check' i could do. In my dreams text never remains consistent when i look away and look back at it, it's always morphing or changing.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

What i find helps most is two techniques, the first called snap. Decide what you want to do. Lie down, relax completely and imagine yourself in a field, on a hill, whatever. Find things you can feel with your five senses, walking around in the grass, smelling the grass, feeling the wind, etc.

After about 10 minutes, snap out of it and focus on your goal alone. After about five minutes you should be projecting. But fear can have a strong grip and keep you from doing it.

what kind of goal? and you end up doing that?

Guest nene multiple assgasms

last night i dreamt i was eating a tiny pillow... woke up in the morning and my marshmallow was gone.

:emotawesomepm9:

Tonight I thought I was at work and got constantly pissed off by everything. I started throwing things around in the laboratory and then I realised it could be a dream. I did a reality check by counting my fingers and the smallest one was somehow "flickering". I wasnt sure at that moment if my sight was kinda blury or if I was actually dreaming, but then my whole hand transformed into a test tube rack and I was able to shoot test tubes.

I have only had a few run ins with lucid dreams but fuck are they awesome. From my experience the best part of it is just how overwhelmingly real it all seems. Usually I'll find some chick that I know and want to bang and bang the fuck out of them. Sex feels 100% real and so does everything else. One time I decided to fly and I was flying over some really bizarre dream-version of my neighborhood and it felt exactly like I would expect flying to feel like.

The wake up back to sleep method is the best probably. Set the alarm, wake up for about 15 minutes and drink a pop or eat a chocolate bar to get some stimulants in you so your mind can stay awake a bit and then hit the sack again and you will probably fall into the same dream you were in before but its easier to realize this time around.

Checking text/the time/light switches are all very good reality checks

Guest Space Coyote

Another thing that I did when I was trying lucid dreaming was to get up and write down my dreams in as much detail as I could immediately after waking. I have a bunch of these still saved on an old livejournal account I think but reading about other peoples dreams doesn't tend to be particuarly interesting to anyone other than the person who had them.

Spacecoyote yeah i find that is by far the hardest part of cultivating a frequency of lucid dreams. What's the good of having lucid dreams if you don't remember them? i haven't been practicing at all lately but i know that i've been having the occasional lucid dream from small memory fragments i just wish i had the will power to write down my dreams regularly.

Spacecoyote yeah i find that is by far the hardest part of cultivating a frequency of lucid dreams. What's the good of having lucid dreams if you don't remember them? i haven't been practicing at all lately but i know that i've been having the occasional lucid dream from small memory fragments i just wish i had the will power to write down my dreams regularly.

record them on your mp3 player. Been doing this for the last few days and it works just fine.

same difference for me, i find the effort and willpower it takes to write down dreams equal to making myself describe the dream into an mp3 player. Also for me i am rather unintelligible when i wake up, even i can't understand my own ramblings sometimes.

what works best for me is writing down a few keywords and going back hours later to use those words to job my memory for more detailed descriptions

I recently experianced my first Lucid Dream. I smashed up the the room I was in and beat the shit out of the friend I was with. Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna use them to try and do it again sometime soon.

Dreams are so ridiculous. The method that works for me is the one where you're awake and you stay conscious until you're dreaming. The problem is that it can be sort of terrifying. Sounds, sleep paralysis coming over your body, and so on. Then suddenly you're literally hearing things and seeing things and you're somehow inside of your body in this black void. It can be horrible.

But sometimes, rarely, it can be great. For a while I kept dreaming that I was in my bed, and I would realize that I was dreaming and run and jump out of the window. Then I would fly. For a while I kept trying harder to fly better. All sorts of adventures during those dreams, flying over.

I also find that about 95 percent of the time I become horrified because of the sleep paralysis and force myself awake.

I suggest this:

Experiment with death in your dreams. For a long time I kept dying in my dreams, and sort of seeing the dream afterlife. I suppose the image in my signature sort of looks like some of the things that happened after I "died" in my dreams (from falling from great heights, car crashes, being shot, etc).

Death has always been a good experience. In other dreams death has been like waking up from a dream inside of my dream, several times.

i had one really terrifying lucid dream where a dream character told me i was no longer dreaming but that i had died in my sleep and drifted into the afterlife, he said 'check the website www.collegueswhokickedit.com to see what you died from' i rembered the url perfectly when i woke up but it really creeped me out.

• 4 months later...

Just had a lucid dream after a three year drought. I was sitting in an old high-school class with an old teacher I had, and I said to myself "I am dreaming aren't I." There was no apparent reason behind this. I didn't seem to really care, and I sat there comparing people to their real-life versions (some were skinnier, some were composites of various people I knew) and then morphing their body-types still more for fun. Better than the lucid dreams I used to have where I'd wake up straight away, but nothing too interesting.

comparing people to their real-life versions (some were skinnier, some were composites of various people I knew) and then morphing their body-types

^that sounds awesome. The cool thing about lucid dreams is that (usually) even if they are very basic and simple concepts, or not much happens in the dream, they are still so life like and detailed they are awe inspiring. But of course it's always quite difficult to put that kind of amazing experience into words. I myself haven't had a good one in a while. But from years of telling myself what to do (ie light switch, un readable clock, illegible writing, etc) it happens at random from time to time.

edit: i've had quite a few where i've flown in them, but very often I will be having one, or sorta 50/50 having one and will have the opportunity to fly or jump off something high and I won't do it because I'm not sure if I am really asleep or not, or i've convinced my dream self that my dream is my reality and i'm just loosing my mind.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could say to my dream self to make this not happen, or a way I could kind of program myself to test the waters first, ie jump from like 2 stories instead of 20 first. Obvious "just doing it" doesn't help, i've gotta find a way to set it in stone and embed it into my dream personality.

Archived