IGNORED

Americans rejoice!

awepittance

A former Blackwater employee and an ex-US Marine who has worked as a security operative for the company have made a series of explosive allegations in sworn statements filed on August 3 in federal court in Virginia. The two men claim that the company's owner, Erik Prince, may have murdered or facilitated the murder of individuals who were cooperating with federal authorities investigating the company. The former employee also alleges that Prince "views himself as a Christian crusader tasked with eliminating Muslims and the Islamic faith from the globe," and that Prince's companies "encouraged and rewarded the destruction of Iraqi life."

In their testimony, both men also allege that Blackwater was smuggling weapons into Iraq. One of the men alleges that Prince turned a profit by transporting "illegal" or "unlawful" weapons into the country on Prince's private planes. They also charge that Prince and other Blackwater executives destroyed incriminating videos, emails and other documents and have intentionally deceived the US State Department and other federal agencies. The identities of the two individuals were sealed out of concerns for their safety.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090817/scahill

as jaded as i am about american ventures, this kind of shocked me.

if you can handle Amy Goodman this report on it is worth watching http://www.democracynow.org/2009/8/5/in_explosive_allegations_ex_employees_link

Guest Wall Bird

I heard Jeremy's Scahill's talk with Amy about the story this morning on Democracy Now. This is disturbing, to say the least. Come to think of it, the only way the idea of a mercenary army might be worse is if they had an agenda of crusading on behalf of religious extremists. Unfortunately, this seems to be the case. The fact that this may actually be happening is shameful on a level that I am reluctant to think about.

Awepittance, not a fan of Amy Goodman?

Guest Wall Bird

i am a fan but a lot of people i know think she is very boring

Perhaps she is a bit dry, but so is Noam Chomsky. I appreciate the fact that neither of these great speakers feel it necessary to be flamboyant or give the audience a bit of entertainment in order to make them more appealing. Doing so may just detract from the subject being discussed and is generally not pertinent anyways.

I suppose the opposite of this demeanor would be found in a number of the hosts - the word pundit is a perversion and I refuse to use it - on the Fox News Network.

I saw Amy give a talk in Chicago two months ago and, if you ever get the chance, I highly recommend going to see her speak. Since she never focuses on her opinions or thoughts during the show it is very refreshing to hear someone with so much journalistic experience expounding on it in a way that you dont get to hear on air.

I dunno, don't people already realize that blackwater are a bunch of shady ass murderers?

At least the government actually tried investigating them... Right guys?

i am sure nothing will come out of this. after all the blatant war criminals bush and cheney are still free and there seems to be no action planned to adress it. fuck this shit, it's only in the movies the bad guys get punished.

Guest we_kill_soapscum

blackwater has terrified me for a long time. when you listen to Prince's family background its really really terrifying.

didn't they send blackwater to new orleans after hurricane katrina to guard the white neighbourhoods?

america is just awful. they are quickly taking over the UK as the most evil country in human history and is probably the worst in the last century.

Guest ezkerraldean
they are quickly taking over the UK as the most evil country in human history

we might have had the most evil empire, but it was the best.

Guest Wall Bird

Thanks for reinforcing my point, Chen.

"Does the book 1984 mean anything to anybody?"

- Glenn Beck.

I found that funny.

at least we can all agree that it's far more important for the mainstream news to talk about the 'birthers' right now, it's an issue that impacts us all and isn't just reinforcing a knee jerk partisan back and forth

the thing that gets me is how illogical mercenary armies are even from a long term logistical perspective. of course hiring mercenaries makes it able to acheive short term objectives, but then those objectives are controlled by a semi-professional army outside of any real governmental jurisdiction. any military leader that knows anything about war can tell you how dangerous and illogical it is to rely on mercenaries for anything.

Archived