IGNORED

Ringing in my ear in silence

Q27

Guest inteeliguntdesign
I was fairly ill at the time with metal poisoning

how did you get that shit?

I cracked one of my teeth which had an amalgam filling in it.

i have it, its only irritating when i sleep in places that are entirely silent. for example, at the moment im living in a city centre and simple background noise from traffic and people walking around renders it almost inaudible. if i go to somewhere rural and sleep somewhere where it is literally entirely silent, it sounds quite loud to me. im careful to use earplugs for all gigs, and for practicing the piano when i use a grand piano. grand pianos are actually immensely loud, suprisingly so.

i have very very mild tinnitus, mostly a very high pitch white noise like tone in both ears and a ~400hz slowly pulsating tone in my left ear, which is most audible when waking up hungover. both are quiet enough to not be annoying, even when in a super-quiet room.

i remember being genuinely concerned about my hearing after a sunn o))) gig, my ears were ringing like crazy for about 3 days afterwards, uh oh! i really should start wearing my earplugs more often - though the ones i have (etymotic er-20s) are almost *too* effective. they bring everything down to quiet listening volume!

i honestly think id be completely free of it if i didnt practice piano for 3-6 hours a day, i read up on the noise levels the instrument produces, and its definetely harmful over numerous years of loud romantic/contemporary practice. but if it never gets any worse it will be fine, and i am cautious now.

i've had symptoms of Tinnitus for a long time, but the worst case was after i'd seen My Bloody Valentine in Manchester last year.

i had very loud ringing for over two weeks solid

You went to a MBV concert without earplugs? Ouch.

well they gave us earplugs, i just didn't bother with them. then You Made Me Realise came on. and the noise lasted for 30 mins.

it was epic, but my ears paid

also, it was venetian snares 3 years ago that gave it me, the fucking cunt.

Ha, my friend also blames Snares for her tinnitus and sent him a Facebook message to tell him so. The most a gig has made my ears hurt, even more so than MBV, was Snares around the time the Hungarian album came out. Think it was a Mu thing at Electrowerkz. The highs in the strings were so piercing, it was painful as shit. I'd blame the soundsystem/soundman for that though. High frequencys I think are the worst for your hearing and will damage it more, loud bassiness will make them ring for a bit but with no lasting effects. I'm sure that's speaking very broadly though.

I should really start wearing earplugs, went to Warehouse Project Saturday, and that soundsystem has made my ears ring both times I've been there this year. Seems to of sorted itself out now though, phew!

For about the past few years, I've had an occasional high-pitched tone in my left ear (and possibly my right, too, but I notice it more frequently in my left). It shows up suddenly at a moderate volume and when this happens all other sounds seem to drop in volume. It seems it is rarely the same pitch twice. After about 10 seconds, it slowly fades out as all background noise levels fade up to their original volume. It's like someone is at the console in my head calibrating my ears. It never really lasts longer that 10 seconds. I hope it never gets worse.

Other than that, I would say my hearing is better than average.

I've been playing drums and guitar since I was 9 or 10, so it makes sense that something is fucked up with my hearing.

Archived