IGNORED

Lunapark Ensemble

perunamuusi

Nobody seems to have really paid any attention to, or at least noticed, Willemjam's 2 posts linking to Lunapark Ensemble's beautiful rendition of Flim, aired on Dutch TV last week.

Also featured in this clip are Prep Gwarlek and a wonderful take on Jynweythek Ylow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc8C63JffLA

Thanks hehe. For dutch users; the rest of the broadcast can be found here:

http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=10257946

Before they play the last track, they talk a little about Richard's unpronouncable tracktitles being similar to his rhythm sections, and then the host falsely introduces Jynweythek Ylow as "my beer has been spilled", which was the loose translation for Hy A Scullyas Lyf A Dhagrow I think?

Guest Barricade

and then the host falsely introduces Jynweythek Ylow as "my beer has been spilled", which was the loose translation for Hy A Scullyas Lyf A Dhagrow I think?

yes it seems whenever the name Aphex Twin appears, people tend to make mistakes about song titles, their meanings, etc. They should ask watmm first to confirm ANYTHING about Aphex Twin. I was surprised the host even pronounced "Aphex Twin" in the best way he was able to.

I know this is totally off topic but what the fuck is with pro musicians and the need for sheet music in a performance? When I was in band and orchestra and in numerous bands I had that shit memorized! Fuck, even aphex drums at their most complicated is memorizable.

Leave the sheet music for rehearsal.

LOL at the electric guitar player in Prep Gwarlek. He sure looks intense when he plays that 1 note!

I don't mean to sound like a negative nancy, as the vid was quite good.

Guest Barricade

I know this is totally off topic but what the fuck is with pro musicians and the need for sheet music in a performance? When I was in band and orchestra and in numerous bands I had that shit memorized! Fuck, even aphex drums at their most complicated is memorizable.

Leave the sheet music for rehearsal.

LOL at the electric guitar player in Prep Gwarlek. He sure looks intense when he plays that 1 note!

I don't mean to sound like a negative nancy, as the vid was quite good.

i totally agree with you. reading music from a sheet makes it look more stiff, like ure focusing on the sheet while ure supposed to be focussing on the music and ur performance. im a drummer myself and it looks really lame if id be playing everything off of my sheet.

but generally i agree.. i've known a few musos who, while they can play all sorts of technically amazing stuff, lack the creative ability to be able to just play or improvise... seems a bit backwards to me

yeah, as do I. I can't read music anymore lol :facepalm:. I can SORT OF still read rhythms but I forgot most of the notes. Fuck it. But I still can pick up a guitar with a band I've never played with before and just kind of wing it nicely, although my soloing has decreased in speed over the years as I play less and less.

But saying that these guys had never heard/liked the original doesn't matter because the players would have THEIR version memorized anyway. That's what rehearsals and practicing alone are for. You can't help but memorize it in those situations. There is no way they were onstage for that show playing together for the 1st time, so there should be no excuse to have sheet music for a song of "pop" length... They should be concentrating on the conductor and extracting as much emotion out of the instrument as possible. The notes should not have to be something you concentrate on ideally. Jesus christ I'm rambling.

really good version of flim. but why the fuck do they try to replicate prepared piano pieces with an ensemble? I just think it is funny. A lot of the sound of prop garlic happen by chance. They go so far to try to match timbre.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Don't know why anyone cares whether they use sheet music or not. I don't exactly want to see them rocking out with one foot on the amp playing the woodblock solo. They probably rehearse hundreds of songs because they are professionals, no wonder they bring a few reminders with them.

Archived