IGNORED

eric dolphy

kaini

his stuff falls in an odd place in between bop and free jazz. too weird for bop, too conventional for free jazz.

he was probably the first to rape a flute using extended technique. and he soloed using twelve-tone technique a lot of the time

eric dolphy is idm.

my favourite dolphy tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmT1-tdSaaM

eric tearing chunks out of the audience live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKDAbp9m5yw

eric on the flute (this is a MONSTROUS track anyway. coltrane on soprano sax stretches the theme into fucking incredible awesome interesting shapes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_n-gRS_wdI

he has loads of solo albums, but only three on blue note - which tend to be regarded as the noteworthy ones. i only have out to lunch and three others

he's a sideman on loads though - coltrane's village vanguard recordings and impressions, also coleman's seminal free jazz

ive always had trouble getting into out to lunch for some reason. gravitaed more to the fusion jazz of miles, tony williams etc. think ill give dolphy another try tho, seeing as hes seen as such a classic artist.

well, that shit is great too. especially miles. i love the early miles hot nine/eleven 'birth of the cool' shit, it's great.

and the bitches brew/in a silent way/live evil/on the corner/jack johnson(my personal favourite) stuff... incomparable

but i like my bop to come from coltrane, coltrane, eric dolphy, coltrane, cannonball adderley, coltrane and charles mingus.

it's a shame that the coffeetable ruined kind of blue. but it's overrated anyway.

well, that shit is great too. especially miles. i love the early miles hot nine/eleven 'birth of the cool' shit, it's great.

and the bitches brew/in a silent way/live evil/on the corner/jack johnson(my personal favourite) stuff... incomparable

but i like my bop to come from coltrane, coltrane, eric dolphy, coltrane, cannonball adderley, coltrane and charles mingus.

it's a shame that the coffeetable ruined kind of blue. but it's overrated anyway.

is "black saint and the sinner lady" bop?

also, youre forgetting "get up with it".

• 4 months later...

kind of blue overrated? I'd say it's rated just perfectly as a jazz masterpiece. One of the biggest shots in modal jazz (if not the biggest) with all it's beautiful melodic movement.

Guest Greg Reason

I find it very difficult to put Mingus' stuff into categories because stuff like BSatSL is so composed that it sort of defies being called Bop but it's by no means Free Jazz either, not visceral and noisy enough. Mingus really was such an astounding composer and some of his pieces (the full-scale Epitaph suite in particular) have a lot more in common with classical music than jazz in a structural sense.

But back on topic, Dolphy was the shit. A real shame that he died so young, he could have come out with so much more incredible shit. But yeah, what we have is plenty to treasure. I especially love his work on Coltrane's Village Vanguard recordings, he goes for some very odd note selections at times and I could think of few others who would have been so perfect a foil to Coltrane at that stage of his development.

Archived