IGNORED

boomkat top 100 albums of the year

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i don't have a problem with listening to lots of music (i do, certainly). i think it's more the weird kind of self obsessed data gathering that leads to top 100 lists that basically all resemble one another and this need to sort of "own" all of the music you listen to, like, to say "i am listening to this and this is what it means to me" in quantitative terms so others can approve or disapprove of it...although i think most people just end up zoning out when they see a list over ten items.

it just seems kind of obsessive and pointless, but i suppose that's all part of the music writer/critic/nerd subculture that's existed forever.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agreed, too much focus on following brand-new music, day to day, is nonsense

Yup. It is pretty silly how we all rush to make lists of our favorite albums of the year when we've only heard a small fraction of what was released. Obviously we'll never hear everything, but we'll hear plenty more from 09 as time goes on.

not to mention that fact that a lot of people who pay attention to these lists are used to being served up obscure music on a silver platter. There is plenty of great undiscovered stuff released in the last 10 years that im sure many of these people have not heard simply because they rely on 'taste making' websites or blogs to show them the 'most interesting' stuff out at the moment. I think Boomkat has a conflict of interest more than say a Pitchfork or the Wire magazine top 100 because obviously they want to make money off of selling music. They aren't going to put an album on that list that sells no units unless they have some strong personal love for it. I guarantee that some of the stuff on here they don't even listen to but listed it in the top 100 because it sells great.

interested in hearing #8 as i dig his work with SY but haven't heard his solo stuff.

wow. you crazy. get some now.

most of it is experimental noodly stuff.

eureka (99?), his first "pop" album is a masterpiece.

and halfway to a threeway ep (also 99?) is, pound for pound, probably the best EP ever made

also camofleur by gastr del sol.

They aren't going to put an album on that list that sells no units unless they have some strong personal love for it. I guarantee that some of the stuff on here they don't even listen to but listed it in the top 100 because it sells great.

I would think the opposite could be true, too. Putting something on the list to motivate sales.

They aren't going to put an album on that list that sells no units unless they have some strong personal love for it. I guarantee that some of the stuff on here they don't even listen to but listed it in the top 100 because it sells great.

I would think the opposite could be true, too. Putting something on the list to motivate sales.

well that's why i said if they really loved something that sold badly they would put it up there

interested in hearing #8 as i dig his work with SY but haven't heard his solo stuff.

wow. you crazy. get some now.

most of it is experimental noodly stuff.

eureka (99?), his first "pop" album is a masterpiece.

and halfway to a threeway ep (also 99?) is, pound for pound, probably the best EP ever made

also camofleur by gastr del sol.

*actually jots it down*

well that's why i said if they really loved something that sold badly they would put it up there

Somehow I saw that part but it didn't connect inside my head. :emotawesomepm9:

i dislike the king midas sound pretty badly. real simple boring beats (hammerhead lol) and dull vocals.

visitor samples are too short to make much judgement.

how come no one complained no wisp yet?

i don't have a problem with listening to lots of music (i do, certainly). i think it's more the weird kind of self obsessed data gathering that leads to top 100 lists that basically all resemble one another and this need to sort of "own" all of the music you listen to, like, to say "i am listening to this and this is what it means to me" in quantitative terms so others can approve or disapprove of it...although i think most people just end up zoning out when they see a list over ten items.

it just seems kind of obsessive and pointless, but i suppose that's all part of the music writer/critic/nerd subculture that's existed forever.

well, let's just say that you should distinguish people who are self-obsessed super-music-nerds (on mp3 blogs this is very common), and then just those who listen to lots of music and also like making lists (and again, i was doing this as a feature for a website, so i had more motivation). i mean, sure, honestly i zone out after 30 or 40, like why bother listening to someone's #47 album of the year. but i don't see the harm in listing 50. and i would never claim to have especially great taste or breadth or real music knowledge (in an academic sense), or even a really deep knowledge of any one genre ...

not to mention that fact that a lot of people who pay attention to these lists are used to being served up obscure music on a silver platter. There is plenty of great undiscovered stuff released in the last 10 years that im sure many of these people have not heard simply because they rely on 'taste making' websites or blogs to show them the 'most interesting' stuff out at the moment.

but why not help people find more 'undiscovered stuff' by making lists beyond those from the taste-making websites?

although when you're speaking to someone about some album they claim they love and you go any more indepth than the title and they're lost it is a bit of a worry.

right, that can be annoying; someone who claims to "listen" to 500 new albums a year and has an "opinion" on all of them. but i'm really not doing that

I've heard some of the records on the list, but I was most pleased to see the Dj Sprinkles/Terre Thaemlitz record included. Great album.

Came first on the Resident Advisor list. It is a great album but it always seems to leave me depressed near the end

Have to agree with this, just listened to it the other day. Definitely a favorite!

The lyrics to the title track are just so twisted and wrong (but in a most comical way of course).

Have to agree with this, just listened to it the other day. Definitely a favorite!

The lyrics to the title track are just so twisted and wrong (but in a most comical way of course).

All you have to do is lie there

While I push aside your wheelchair

Can't wipe the smile off my face

When you strut by in your leg brace

You just can't climb the stairs

And you ain't got any hair

I just can't get you to sit

You and your stupid epileptic fits

And I know that you can't run away

Cause I'm halfway to a threeway

Jesus Christ, lol

Archived