IGNORED

boomkat top 100 albums of the year

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i mean, there's no way you can properly listen to a couple of new albums every day as well as listening to your accumulation of however many years of music you've listened to beforehand. that's on top of listening to older music that you haven't heard as well...

so how is it even possible to come up with a top 50 for a year? how do you know if something is that great after one listen

it really is like eating too much... people who are obese don't enjoy food more than people who eat normally. if anything, they enjoy it way less...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've bought 6 from that list. Broadcast, Bruno Spoerri, David Sylvian, Animal Collective, Hecker, Tortoise. I'm sure there are plenty of great records on there I haven't heard, but for me the best album this year isn't stocked by Boomkat, and was done by a 72 year old man:

gd_jh020509.jpg

please school me LUDD, i mean it

i dunno man. there was plenty of darker bleepy hardcore somewhere between what zomby is getting at, and meat beats radio babylon but like solo strike said, that zomby album is reminiscent of old school mix tapes and pirate radio from back then, which is primarily how i (or everyone who wasnt djing) used to listen to dance music. either that or at parties. so artists and track names are on the whole meaningless to me, but i would recommend stuff like early moving shadow for instance. look out for stuff from 91-92 i guess... 4 hero, hyper on, early doc scott perhaps, lenny de ice, ... D-zone records stuff like Toxic...

i mean, there's no way you can properly listen to a couple of new albums every day as well as listening to your accumulation of however many years of music you've listened to beforehand. that's on top of listening to older music that you haven't heard as well...

so how is it even possible to come up with a top 50 for a year? how do you know if something is that great after one listen

it really is like eating too much... people who are obese don't enjoy food more than people who eat normally. if anything, they enjoy it way less...

yeah ... well, as i said in the other thread, out of my top 50 list i'm only really into the top 25. i probably only LIKE about 60-70 albums i hear in a given year, so. in my case, i made the list for a site that onecaseman set up, so the idea is to recommend things to people that maybe they'll like more than i did (i.e., my #47 album or something, i heard a few times, liked it, and figure someone else might be especially into that genre etc). but yeah, only the top 25 really got anything over 10-15 listens. it also helps that i listen to music a lot; and i tend to get bored with huge swaths of my mp3 collection, given that i listen to music so much, and hence i like new things.

i'd say the main reason i listen to so much music is to find something that i REALLY like, so it's not exactly some 'obesity'/'otaku' thing, but just more that i find a bunch of albums i somewhat like, while i'm discovering really good albums. and then, why not toss those in a top 50 list if someone else can enjoy it. also there are plenty of great individual tracks from mediocre albums.

but also, to an extent, i could probably spend more time listening to fewer albums instead of spending so much time looking for new music.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i haven't been trying this year but its not that hard. you download everything you see published on some blog or wherever. then you have music on whilst you work 9-5. 8 hours = 8-10 albums per day.

as i get older i've noticed i need to hear records i already know more often than i want to hear new stuff.

i'd say the main reason i listen to so much music is to find something that i REALLY like, so it's not exactly some 'obesity'/'otaku' thing, but just more that i find a bunch of albums i somewhat like, while i'm discovering really good albums. and then, why not toss those in a top 50 list if someone else can enjoy it. also there are plenty of great individual tracks from mediocre albums.

Yeah, you nailed it here. I listen to about 100 albums a year to find the 5 or so I really like.

"i mean, there's no way you can properly listen to a couple of new albums every day as well as listening to your accumulation of however many years of music you've listened to beforehand. that's on top of listening to older music that you haven't heard as well..."

How is there no way to do that? I get home from work at 4 pm. Assuming there is nothing to do, listening to two new albums puts me at 6 pm roughly. I then have at least 4 hours to listen to other releases. Plenty of time. Depends on your schedule I guess. I thoroughly enjoy 18 or 19 of the albums on that list. Some I haven't heard, and some I won't want to hear based on the genre. I've found out about several older artists this year as well. It's possible :p.

Guest bitroast

urr. this list is kinda silly. from what i recognise, there's some incredibly average stuff way up with some other stuff either well below or completely missing. :S

Guest bitroast

um um um. SoiSong struck me as beign particularly good! but silly me haven't heard any coil. can anyone recommend any, or at least anything similar to this awesome stufffss?

yeah that nick cave/warren ellis double album looks awesome and is a good idea.

Have you got it? I heard a few good things about it and a track off it is in some new film "The Road". Thats about all I know.

i just think sometimes the focus on listening to as much new music as possible is almost like an food-, sex-, drug- addiction that probably isn't as good as enjoying stuff moderately. i mean, what seems wrong about sleeping with a new person every night? but generally it's something you don't want to do forever.

i would say that it's definitely a sort of addiction, though there's a spectrum of behavior ... i think there can be someone who is just relatively more interested in more genres of newer music, and hence listens to more new albums than someone else, but this isn't an "addiction" per se.

honestly i find music to be both intellectually interesting and aesthetically pleasing, so for me a big part of finding new music is just exploring new genres, hearing new ways that people are creating music, mapping out influences and sub-genres, trying to find new fields of unexplored music, etc. but to an extent, certainly, i should be spending more time properly absorbing the best albums and not quite as much time seeking new music. yet i really wonder how many of my favorite albums of the last 10 years i would have found without consciously seeking to expand my horizon

Archived