IGNORED

Google hacked by Chinese, plans to leave country?

chaosmachine

its nice when companies can make so much money they can afford to be moral sometimes

no such thing. corporate executives are legally bound to maximize profits for the company's shareholders. i guarantee you that this decision is motivated by profit.

Were they really neck and neck? I was under the impresion that in the last year, Baidu had taken a significant lead in the search market share in China. It's gonna be the same result as the last time around for China. "We have acquired all the knowledge we need from you foreign devils and now we will shut ourselves off!" And they go down the shitter again.

Where will wal-mart people get their cheap plastic junk from!

maybe you're right, I just go from what I hear from my employees.

its nice when companies can make so much money they can afford to be moral sometimes

no such thing. corporate executives are legally bound to maximize profits for the company's shareholders. i guarantee you that this decision is motivated by profit.

+1

Capitalism

Publically offered corporations have a responsibility to their shareholders to make profit. They are not "legally bound" at all.

Private corporations can do whatever the fuck they want with their money.

This is a moral decision that is motivated by profit, because the amount of goodwill Google will receive for doing this moral act will gain them more revenue in selling advertising.

Dude, I'm not saying they really had a choice, but this is sort of bad news. Google and Baidu have been neck and neck, and now Google is just giving up the entire chinese market. Shame.

Btw did you know that Blizzard and World of Warcraft got fucked over by the Chinese govt as well? Also just a few days ago they blocked imdb.com, I was like wtf man

Were they really neck and neck? I was under the impresion that in the last year, Baidu had taken a significant lead in the search market share in China.

correct, a recent survey i saw placed google at 19% and baidu around 50% market share

where did you get the numbers from kaini?

I've seen some from the chinese government that stated Baidu had like 75% in the personal search market, but corporate search was less than that.

Of course that's from the chinese government, who are trying to push Baidu, so they can hardly be trusted...

This is a moral decision that is motivated by profit, because the amount of goodwill Google will receive for doing this moral act will gain them more revenue in selling advertising.

what?

where did you get the numbers from kaini?

I've seen some from the chinese government that stated Baidu had like 75% in the personal search market, but corporate search was less than that.

Of course that's from the chinese government, who are trying to push Baidu, so they can hardly be trusted...

i forget exactly. it was in a thread about this on slashdot i read earlier

what?

ALiens and laserbeams gordo. plus massive conspiracies at the highest levels. get cracking!

Oh look at those immoral bastards at Google with their posting a link full of information about how you can help people in Haiti: http://www.google.com/relief/haitiearthquake/

as usual you're missing out on the big picture. Google only want to save the Haitians so they can use them as slaves.

Generals_Hacker.jpg

I'll suck the internet dry!

Fucking WIN

Its a great thing that they are either cutting it off or letting it go on uncensored. Good fucking stand google! although my girlfriend is in China right now and I don't see the Chinese government changing because google said "FUUUU" so it looks like she'll be stuck using Baidu because there wouldn't really be any other good alternatives :/

Oh look at those immoral bastards at Google with their posting a link full of information about how you can help people in Haiti: http://www.google.com/relief/haitiearthquake/

on a totally off-topic note, the google earth plug-in isn't supported by google chrome :facepalm:

yes, it is. works fine here.

what?

ALiens and laserbeams gordo. plus massive conspiracies at the highest levels. get cracking!

so you were being sarcastic? otherwise please explain how abandoning operations in an entire country ends up being profitable.

Archived