IGNORED

Fred McGriff

Guest mafted

those who hate this with such passion and forced are reading from a stereotypical script as much as those who love the movie are.

I'm pretty sure Speilberg knows what the fuck he's talking about. Avatar was a gamechanger. It wasn't the 'greatest movie ever', like the assholish critics act like it should be, but it's a huge changer of the game of filmmaking. You can thank Mr. Cameron for, once again, paving the way forward in technology and techniques (much like Kubrick did in the late 60's). So, yeah.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mafted

hating on something as popular as avatar and repeatedly voicing their opinion, are placing themselves above the mindless plebs who enjoy it and from that get a feeling of smug superiority.

Yeah, there's nothing mindless about being entertained. That's all it's about, really. If you haters were expecting to see Jesus appear in 3d and tell you your life's mission via fucking Avatar you need to shut your trap.

Actually I felt Jesus somewhere in the middle of Avatar saying to me: "gaarg, this film is evil, if thou watchest and enjoyeth it, thou shalt burn in hell on Diablo's fiery phallus."

i said it in another thread, and i'll say it again. avatar accomplished what it set out to do. be a blockbusting sci-fi/fantasy action movie with groundbreaking CGI and new technology. since when were these kinds of movies anything else than archetypes and well-known tropes. james cameron has made huge action blockbusters his whole career and he again delivered it in spades.

the contrived and cliched story all the haters love to bring up doesn't seem to bother the majority of the people who's seen it, since it grossed a ridiculous amount of cash in a silly fast amount of time. they went in to the movie expecting a hyped 3D action adventure spectacle directed by one of the big shots of these movies and they got what they asked for. cameron must have done something right with it. i know i was thoroughly entertained. simple and traditional story yes, but it didn't bother me one bit as the other parts of the movie were so well made. movies are after all a visual medium, if you want engaging stories and intricate characters, read a book.

I personally don't see it so much as good movie/bad movie thing or blockbuster achievement or whatever. When I spit on avatar it's more like sitting in a tavern a few hundred years ago with fellow peasants working on a revolt against the king. We already gave up all our belongings, gold and food and stuff to the king (in this case Cameron) and now he's off to take our women to do with them as he pleases. Because he can. And we won't stand for it, fuck you king, there's rakes and scythes turned your way motherfucker!

going to watch it tonight the 5th time :emotawesomepm9:

this time with grandparents lol

this is why it has made such an insane amount of money. people see it several times with friends, significant others, parents, grandparents and their dogs. why is this happening? because they made it out to be more than a movie, they made it to an event. an event that transcends sex, age and culture and the simple story and archetypes makes it resonate on the widest of bases, thus it's success. genius marketing.

This movie was a steaming moist heap of fresh frothed santorum.

Some of the 3D elements were interesting, especially the use of depth but the second anything entered the foreground it still looked like a load of cheesy bollocks. I congratulate James Cameron on getting his CG characters out of the uncanny valley but the realism of the characters made me stop paying attention to the effects and only spend more time focusing on how absurdly and flamingly gay the production design was and how much of a half-assedly cobbled together mess the script was.

I'm afraid to watch Terminator 2 again now for fear of having my childhood ruined.

This movie was a steaming moist heap of fresh frothed santorum.

Some of the 3D elements were interesting, especially the use of depth but the second anything entered the foreground it still looked like a load of cheesy bollocks. I congratulate James Cameron on getting his CG characters out of the uncanny valley but the realism of the characters made me stop paying attention to the effects and only spend more time focusing on how absurdly and flamingly gay the production design was and how much of a half-assedly cobbled together mess the script was.

I'm afraid to watch Terminator 2 again now for fear of having my childhood ruined.

QFT

As long as its articulated, bitching is ok with me.

- the 3-d wasn't 3-d a lot of the time, did you notice flat images, layered in a 3 dimensional space. Even the close up on faces didn't drop away in 3-D sometimes. Also most of the time it seemed like they were too afraid to show true depth and kept the perceived depth shallow. I think this is because it takes a while for most peoples eyes to get adjusted. If this was the case, why the hell didn't they wait five mins at the start of the film for people to adjust before that first 3-d burst. A burst which was proceeded by very few moments of real depth. -sie-

- I didn't like how they sometimes directed the in focus view, to the point at which they thought you should be viewing, doesn't this also make the 3-d redundant, less immersive, I mean as a human, most of the time you will focus on the relevant action anyway yeah. Let my eyes float about as they will.

- The storyline was hideous, like really cack worthy, but that's getting into 'subjective territory' so i'll leave it alone.

I have many more gripes, but that is but a taster of where i was coming from. I'm sure you have no intrest in the rest, and besides, it is a bit past the main commotion after the release to go on about it now.

Still i reserve my right to say this movie was crap, just as you are allowed to continue to gush, like brain-raped zombies after having been specially chosen to pleasure the local necromancer at his next orgy.

:facepalm:

- the 3-d wasn't 3-d a lot of the time, did you notice flat images, layered in a 3 dimensional space. Even the close up on faces didn't drop away in 3-D sometimes. Also most of the time it seemed like they were too afraid to show true depth, I think this is because it takes longer for most peoples eyes to get adjusted. If this was the case, why the hell didn't they wait five mins at the start of the film for people to adjust before that first 3-d burst. A burst which was proceeded by very few moments of real depth. -sie-

- I didn't like how they sometimes directed the in focus view, to the point at which they thought you should be viewing, doesn't this also make the 3-d redundant, less immersive, I mean as a human, most of the time you will focus on the relevant action anyway yeah. Let my eyes float about as they will.

these sound like things you should take up with your local cinema - there are plenty of things wrong with this movie, but - technically - if implemented properly by a cinema it really is a demo of gamechanging tech,

- The storyline was hideous, like really cack worthy.

can't disagree here

these sound like things you should take up with your local cinema - there are plenty of things wrong with this movie, but - technically - if implemented properly by a cinema it really is a demo of gamechanging tech,

I watched it on the best cinema screen available and with the lastest equipment installed. I did my research before shelling out the quid for this pik mate.

I think the reason why I found the 3D less convincing, picked up all these problems. Was that i had used my brother's nvidia 3d glasses to play games on his compute at some point before watching the film, which then seemed like walking back into the stone age, as far as 3D was concerned.

yeah all the live action parts in avatar didn't look good in 3d. i guess this is because of the focus thing you mention. a camera can only focus on one depth, so if you want to display everything focused but in 3d you have to have that flat image layered in 3d. otherwise they are going to have to tell you where to focus. only the full cgi parts looked good in 3d.

• 1 month later...

Archived