IGNORED

stolen generative sequencer patches

if anybody encounters any problems with the patches let me know.

i just put up the reaktor counterparts to these patches at the very bottom, i tried not to outright clone the autechre ones so this new one is more of a Chichlisuitish patch.

also be sure to check out the Powmod ep7 hack, its a much more controllable and masturbatory version of Autechre's original ep7 generative patch.

edit: im in the process right now of finding example tracks by autechre and comparing them side by side with mp3s of out of these patches. If anybody can help me find similar sounding songs i would greatly appreciate it. So far the Confield patch sounds very similar to the first track off the 2001 live tour. the Ep7 patch sounds a lot like "Left blank" and very much like "Liccflii". any more?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if anybody encounters any problems with the patches let me know.

i just put up the reaktor counterparts to these patches at the very bottom, i tried not to outright clone the autechre ones so this new one is more of a Chichlisuitish patch.

also be sure to check out the Powmod ep7 hack, its a much more controllable and masturbatory version of Autechre's original ep7 generative patch.

edit: im in the process right now of finding example tracks by autechre and comparing them side by side with mp3s of out of these patches. If anybody can help me find similar sounding songs i would greatly appreciate it. So far the Confield patch sounds very similar to the first track off the 2001 live tour. the Ep7 patch sounds a lot like "Left blank" and very much like "Liccflii". any more?

Dont forget the 3rd movement of the Toronto 2001 SoundBoard recording. (still looking for the fourth)

Guest Iain C

I'm sure these patches are lovely (I don't have reaktor or max to find out) but they're probably made by Autechre as much as Awepittance's fake "untilted" was.

interesting.

funny how all music is delivered in the same medium of simple audio, yet its source can differ so wildly. stand that max patch next to an electronic track done on a linear sequencer then stand it all next to a couple of guitars and a drumkit.

makes you think.

I'm sure these patches are lovely (I don't have reaktor or max to find out) but they're probably made by Autechre as much as Awepittance's fake "untilted" was.

i would advise actually trying them.

dont have any music prog at all (& dont want to: i'm not a musician) but sounds captures on mp3 would be interesting... please post if you have?

(even if i think their fake)

i've got loads of eno mp3 from koan & they sounds great (not as good as real cds but still great), i even bought this (koan) fukin prog but dont have the right soundcard so its sounds bollock :grin: but i'm still interested in that process, yeah people like eno, farmersmanual or autechre should release an application for generative music on dvd, like a video game but that would load different music everytime.

dont have any music prog at all (& dont want to: i'm not a musician) but sounds captures on mp3 would be interesting... please post if you have?

(even if i think their fake)

i've got loads of eno mp3 from koan & they sounds great (not as good as real cds but still great), i even bought this (koan) fukin prog but dont have the right soundcard so its sounds bollock :grin: but i'm still interested in that process, yeah people like eno, farmersmanual or autechre should release an application for generative music on dvd, like a video game but that would load different music everytime.

check

confield patch output for a sample

The aeTM3_3 one is fantastic. Excellent bit of programming there, I can't wrap my little head round MAX/MSP except to load this patch and then just click on random things...but I can tell quality when I hear it...

The aeTM3_3 one is fantastic. Excellent bit of programming there, I can't wrap my little head round MAX/MSP except to load this patch and then just click on random things...but I can tell quality when I hear it...

Yeah I haven't even made a dent in figuring out how to use this

Just unlocked everything and went to town with the sliders

Yeah I haven't even made a dent in figuring out how to use this

Just unlocked everything and went to town with the sliders

powmod tells me that they made that patch by pulling all the FM synth examples out of the maxmsp help files. i dont have a fucking clue though where they got all those naviar and math equation random thingies. autechre are geniuses

edit: can someone do me a favor and record the output of the AEtm3_3 patch to an mp3 file? I would do it but my maxmsp just expired :( .

Guest dugbert
who says reniform puls is generative? and wouldn't you rather someone had crafted that part for that reason? or some other reason?

they said it was 'generative' in this interview SoundOnSound interview

they did craft it, they wrote the patch, they designed the sounds the patch would trigger, they ran the patch until the result was what they wanted and that's what they released on the album.

it's not randomly generated exactly, i think it's more like an equation with a few parameters left open to be dependent on MIDI CC which they can change with a slider to direct the sound while they are totally ripped until they get the result they want.

anyway, i think people in this thread that haven't read that interview before would really enjoy it because they talk about they equipment and max patches etc., but it's been posted on watmm many times i think already.

Guest dugbert
Perhaps the most challenging and potentially controversial aspect of Autechre's music is their use of generative sequences. Confield contains more of these than their other works, though they also feature on their latest release, Draft 7:30. Insofar as these sequences involve drum machine sounds they are sometimes referred to as 'random beats'. The adjective clearly sits uneasily with Booth, who is at pains to point out that the beats are far from random.

"There's a lot of maths and generated beats on Confield, but we never considered that album very difficult," asserts Booth. "It's like pop music compared to some of the stuff we had considered putting out! And even when the beats sound like they are moving around in time and space, they're not random. They're based on sets of rules and we have a good handle on them. Draft is really straight, using straight-up normal sequencers and samplers. It's written note by note, where we know exactly what we put on. Only 'Reniform Puls' has some generative stuff, done by Max, which also controls a vocal filter in that track.

"When we do generative stuff we work with real-time manipulation of MIDI faders that determines what the rhythms sound like. A sequencer is spitting out stuff and we're using our ears and the faders to make the music. There's no event generation taking place other than within the system we've designed. Sometimes we'll stripe a whole load of stuff down as MIDI data, because there may be a couple of things we want to change. We generate these beats in Max and with home-made sequencers. And there are models of analogue sequencers in the computer that are doing manipulation like gating and compressing some of the beats.

"On Confield we also used analogue sequencers and drum machines, because you can do a lot with restarting patterns. You can hack things and maybe use a control volume to determine what step the drum machine is playing from. Perhaps you send that control volume from an analogue sequencer, so the drum machine is skipping around. And then you get another analogue sequencer to drive that analogue sequencer with a different timing. Immediately you have something that some people would call random, but I would say is quantifiable.

"It seems that for a lot of people, if they hear something that doesn't sound regular, they assume it's random. If live musicians were playing it, they'd probably call it jazz or something. But the fact that it's coming out of a computer, as they perceive it, somehow seems to make it different. For me it's just messing around with a lot of analogue sequencers and drum machines. It's like saying, 'I want this to go from this beat to that beat over this amount of time, with this curve, which is shaped according to this equation.'

"Or you want all the sounds and the way the rhythm works to change, and you don't quite know how long the transform will take. You can then build a patch to do the transform, and you do it by ear with a fader. We may have one fader that determines how often a snare does a little roll or skip, and another thing that listens and says 'If that snare plays that roll three times, then I'll do this.' We don't use random operators because they're irritating to work with — every time you run the process it sounds different. How we play the system dictates how the system responds."

it's not randomly generated exactly, i think it's more like an equation with a few parameters left open to be dependent on MIDI CC which they can change with a slider to direct the sound while they are totally ripped until they get the result they want.

that is what i've heard in other interviews as well as the one from Sound on Sound. Im also pretty sure that they never have released a purely generative track on an album, maybe with the exception of Liccflii from Ep7. When i make generative stuff i usually pull parts from a long raw jam session and then recompile them in an audio editing program like cubase/nuendo. Im assuming autechre does something similar.

gl0tch and awepittance are different people? hm.

you figured "us" out, now "we" will hang out heads in shame and admit we are only one person.

Guest dugbert

the main catch is that it has not reached version 1 yet

but i'm confident enough i've paid for it already

SynthMaker

it's extremely flexible, you can patch in bits of assembly code if you need to

the main catch is that it has not reached version 1 yet

my favorite type of software! seriously this is the convention people should be following instead of fake-ass photoshop whole number upgrades.

pleaaaase post more mp3 captures!!

http://www.recordlabelrecords.org/aggiflex.mp3

reaktor recreation of AE_fun raw output

edit: just got maxmsp working again so many more mp3s to come. Ill put up a 20 minute long version of Liccflii

Archived