IGNORED

so what's britain got to offer me?

doorjamb

yeah I don't recall it as being all that exciting, but that's where my fam lives, so...

All my previous visits have involved the Clacton pier, and I'm hoping to find some slightly more stimulating activities this trip.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masonic Boom

I hear tell that there are pretty parts, very far to the North and East, by the sea. But for the most part, Essex is the British equivalent of New Jersey. Avoid, avoid! Get that London train as quick as you can.

Guest Stoppit

Croydon used to have great record shops but they all seem to be closing down. :-(

I used to buy loads of secondhand vinyl from Beanos when I was a kid...

that's gone now

:sad:

check out timeout london and plan your clubbing calendar wisely. You can also do loads of other cultural shit in london like buckingham palace, tower bridge, V&A, science museum, Tate etc...

Or get on a bus for a day from Victoria and visit Oxford, tis a nice part of the world

Go to Modern Pantry in Clerkenwell for breakfast

Get lost wandering around Soho

Hit up Spitalfields market on a Sunday

Go to bars/ clubs in Shoreditch and laugh at all the trendies

Go to Broadway market in Hackney and laugh at all the trendies (and buy some nice food)

Go for a walk around Regents Park

Go to Camden market for a couple of hours and then get out because it's too stressful

Go and watch parliament in session at the House of Commons

Go for afternoon tea at the Langley

Visit the Hayward gallery on Southbank

Get a Thames Clipper boat from Waterloo to the O2 arena and/ or get a speedboat ride down the Thames to the Thames Barrier

Get to a decent Gastropub; I recommend The Eagle, The Coach and Horses, The Peasant in Clerkenwell and The Bear in Highgate

Shop in Selfridges and Liberty's in the West End

And if you're travelling through Essex, consider a stop in Epping Forest for a walk in London's biggest forest. I grew up there.

Guest abusivegeorge

you, me and a packet* of three, essines. All the way.

*condoms/saausage rolls

lmao @ your interests

Also, go to Borough Market and buy a hot pork/apple roll from the spit roast, and also get some fresh cider / wine (dont know which they will have this time of year). Borough market is great.

While your at Camden Market, go to Cyberdog for a laugh and listen to the banging psy-trance.

Guest ezkerraldean

While your at Camden Market, go to Cyberdog for a laugh and listen to the banging psy-trance.

i know someone who works there lol

sounds hilarious but not been. not been to camden market itself either, actually. i'm probably missing out

Here's what it's got to offer you:

Miserable weather, chavs, bad drivers, bad breath, bad attitudes, hooligans, chinese guys selling pirated dvds, unreliable public transport, awful reality TV, womans magazines, fast food.

I literally can't think of anything to recommend. If you get lucky a serial killer will be on the loose nearby when you arrive, so at least something interesting will be going on.

Not a serial killer, but there's a dangerous plane-robber on the loose.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8522316.stm

Take loads of cocaine until you almost die. Thats what most of the people I know do (I never would do such a thing!). There's shed loads of the stuff over here.

Failing that go to the British Museum. Might sound a bit gay but I think its a pretty cool place.

Oh yeah bring a waterproof, wellies and an umbrella.

And of course our world famous food.

Savaloys (sausage made from pigs brains), tripe (edible gunk from a farm animals stomach), donor kebabs from a germ infested van and last but not least bread and dripping http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dripping. Mmmmmm.

On the positive side the beer is excellent (which what really matters), a lot of pubs serve generic fizz but try proper ale. Stella Artois is good pint of lager if no ale is about. Also go for a slap-up Indian curry.

Say lurvly jubbly a lot.

camden market is brilliant if you've never been before. in fact i still like it now and i go up to camden all the time....i recommend going into the "Amsterdam of London" shop and discretely asking for some "mushroom chocolate" (i'm serious, mushroom fucking chocolate). this is obviously a chocolate bar with magic mushrooms in it - looks like a normal bar of solid chocolate, tastes like a bar of normal chocolate but will make you trip your bollocks off. don't eat a whole one to yourself under any circumstances.

*orders taxi to camden*

Guest ezkerraldean

i hate when americans say they are canadian. you're making us look bad.

i'd heard rumours of yanks pretending to be canucks so they can get into places that hate yanks (=75% of the world) do they actually do it?

Archived