IGNORED

Scandals...

Guest EDGEY

tiger woods is a complete waste of time

this is of course relative. at least the man has a massive charity.

i cant think of any one person i interact with, read about, see on tv, or otherwise encounter on a somewhat regular basis that is more of a waste of my time than you.

LOL

charity is sometimes something these kinds of people hide behind to not face their problems.

charity doesnt really make a bit of difference if it is aimed in the wrong direction, first we must know what true charity is and how to truly help.

(not just free cheese, wonder drugs and immunizations)

...and i doubt tiger woods has the first idea of what it truly means to help people change instead of just giving things to them.

Seriously. Just stop.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is of course relative. at least the man has a massive charity.

i cant think of any one person i interact with, read about, see on tv, or otherwise encounter on a somewhat regular basis that is more of a waste of my time than you.

LOL

charity is sometimes something these kinds of people hide behind to not face their problems and to rationalize their gluttony.

charity doesnt really make a bit of difference if it is aimed in the wrong direction, first we must know what true charity is and how to truly help.

(not just free cheese, wonder drugs and immunizations)

...and i doubt tiger woods has the first idea of what it truly means to help people change instead of just giving things to them.

i want my 10 seconds back

i dont think athletes should have free reign to be as big of philandering phuckups as they please simply because theyre good atheletes. Its like me being outraged that i would get in trouble for failing a company drug test-- no matter how long i've worked there for, or how good an employee i was, if my job requires that i maintain a certain level of professionalism (say, representing my entire country in an international event, or representing sponsors in a tournament) you'd better keep your seedy life under some tight fucking wraps. Once you've put yourself on that pedestal you have to make sacrifices, a good deal of your privacy is one of them.

charity is sometimes something these kinds of people hide behind to not face their problems

annoying internet profiles work well for that too

what a silly statement.

if you only knew what i have overcome.

LOL

Wow, that's not very Christian, Troon.

LOL

tiger woods is an abomination, a money grubbing little swine.

when he stops supporting the shit he supports for money then i'll give him some forgiveness, till

then he can .....well you know, he can just keep falling on his own sword for all i care.

Hypocrisy is a mother, Troon. But stay up on your hating game (for someone you don't even know) I'm sure that's how all those saints you love got to be where they are.

Wow, that's not very Christian, Troon.

LOL

tiger woods is an abomination, a money grubbing little swine.

when he stops supporting the shit he supports for money then i'll give him some forgiveness, till

then he can .....well you know, he can just keep falling on his own sword for all i care.

Hypocrisy is a mother, Troon. But stay up on your hating game (for someone you don't even know) I'm sure that's how all those saints you love got to be where they are.

the original definition of 'hate' in the dictionary is to 'not except' ...i don't except the lifestyle of tiger woods.

i don't know tiger, but chances are he would be like the other 75-80% of this world who if you get us in their

face with what it would take to truly live correctly and change the world would just tell you to fuck off.

i am all about change, and forgiveness, but first we must see the truth clearly together to then

truly become part of it.

the first step is seeing things the way they truly are, then we can truly change.

i dont think athletes should have free reign to be as big of philandering phuckups as they please simply because theyre good atheletes. Its like me being outraged that i would get in trouble for failing a company drug test-- no matter how long i've worked there for, or how good an employee i was, if my job requires that i maintain a certain level of professionalism (say, representing my entire country in an international event, or representing sponsors in a tournament) you'd better keep your seedy life under some tight fucking wraps. Once you've put yourself on that pedestal you have to make sacrifices, a good deal of your privacy is one of them.

Attitudes like this are precisely the problem.

A) drug tests? at a company? Unless drug use could cause serious injury or death, no company has a right to be testing you for drugs. If drug use is affecting your performance, you get fired for doing a lousy job.

B)Athletes are not role models, nor should they be. Same with actors or musicians. This cult of celebrity is fucking insane, and they should have the same right and expectation to privacy as anyone else who is not in a position of moral stewardship. Politicians and religious leaders should expect more scrutiny as they are in positions of moral authority.

troon: you've done your shit, time to get off the pot and go live in the wilderness. But remember, no technology post-enlightenment.

edit: a dictionary is acceptable though

you guys are naive if you think any of this is about what tiger should or shouldn't do.

it's a pr campaign. tiger doesn't need his fans to forgive him for the wrongs he's committed. he needs to repair his image with a consuming public because, whether it's pathetic or not, a significant enough portion of that consuming public is going to start withholding their dollars from anything associated with his name because the image reversal is unappealing to them.

true, he doesn't owe any of us anything. but it's not about that. it's dolla dolla bill y'all. he needs to get those folks spending again. and if i were him, i would want to repair that image because all those millions of dollars depend on it.

A) drug tests? at a company? Unless drug use could cause serious injury or death, no company has a right to be testing you for drugs. If drug use is affecting your performance, you get fired for doing a lousy job.

B)Athletes are not role models, nor should they be. Same with actors or musicians. This cult of celebrity is fucking insane, and they should have the same right and expectation to privacy as anyone else who is not in a position of moral stewardship. Politicians and religious leaders should expect more scrutiny as they are in positions of moral authority.

I think a company has the right to use whatever criteria they want to set standards and expectations of their employees. If i dont want to be drug tested, then i can find a new place to work.

Atheltes are role models, i dont know what leads you to believe otherwise, but athletes are hardcore role models for many many different kinds of people, that you cannot dispute, and whether its justified or not doesnt matter, artists, athletes, are looked up to by a great deal of the population, and thusly they are expected to behave accordingly. Is it silly? Yes. But it's also the real world.

Sure it'd be great if the public's attitudes towards public figures were more reasonable, and it'd be nice if i didnt have to be drug-screened to work at kroger foods inc. but thats just a pipe dream.

I think a company has the right to use whatever criteria they want to set standards and expectations of their employees. If i dont want to be drug tested, then i can find a new place to work.

Atheltes are role models, i dont know what leads you to believe otherwise, but athletes are hardcore role models for many many different kinds of people, that you cannot dispute, and whether its justified or not doesnt matter, artists, athletes, are looked up to by a great deal of the population, and thusly they are expected to behave accordingly. Is it silly? Yes. But it's also the real world.

Sure it'd be great if the public's attitudes towards public figures were more reasonable, and it'd be nice if i didnt have to be drug-screened to work at kroger foods inc. but thats just a pipe dream.

Role model or not the man is human. Comes with the job maybe, but the man plays golf and seems to get a hell of a lot more press than any other golfer I know. The media are such queers.

you guys are naive if you think any of this is about what tiger should or shouldn't do.

it's a pr campaign. tiger doesn't need his fans to forgive him for the wrongs he's committed. he needs to repair his image with a consuming public because, whether it's pathetic or not, a significant enough portion of that consuming public is going to start withholding their dollars from anything associated with his name because the image reversal is unappealing to them.

true, he doesn't owe any of us anything. but it's not about that. it's dolla dolla bill y'all. he needs to get those folks spending again. and if i were him, i would want to repair that image because all those millions of dollars depend on it.

yes this is spot on from the perspective of tiger woods as a franchise. and that's as much as we'll ever know. tiger woods the person, it'd be a total troon up if we were to sit here and try to speculate what his needs/motives truly are. troon says that we must realize the truth, yet writes off a public persona as worthless based on probability.

Guest Conor74

He kinda made his own bed fnarr fnarr. But he has been very aloof, very disinclined to engage with the media, very private, so when they got a chance they attacked hard. Of course that's his option, but he didn't play with them when the going was good and he shouldn't be surprised at how much coverage they gave now that he has been shown to be somewhat different from the uber clean image he put out.

Guest Adjective

yes this is spot on from the perspective of tiger woods as a franchise. and that's as much as we'll ever know. tiger woods the person, it'd be a total troon up if we were to sit here and try to speculate what his needs/motives truly are. troon says that we must realize the truth, yet writes off a public persona as worthless based on probability.

These reminded me of when Rachel Maddow's producer came on the show and talked about the industry of Tiger Woods for a while back in December. I'm sure there's a podcast but i don't feel like finding it.

excerpt:

WOLFF: But for the moment, you have the problem of the TV ratings. Then think about the problem of the golf tournaments. Golf tournaments generate economy in the places where they‘re held, San Diego or Hawaii, or Florida or wherever they might be this spring. They start in warm weather places.

So, he will miss tournaments in Hawaii, in California, potentially, Arizona and potentially Florida. The ticket sales will be down, the merchandise sales, the food—this is money-changing hands in local markets that now won‘t.

And there‘s more. Tiger Woods is an industry. It‘s not just companies that advertise around him, like Gillette razors advertisers and Gatorade makes products about him and TAG Heuer watches.

Think about Nike. Nike launched its golf line because Tiger Woods existed. It‘s all about Tiger Woods. That industry, that company, Nike does $600 million a year in golf equipment and apparel sales and that‘s based on Tiger Woods.

So, TV is one part of it. But the gross domestic product around this guy is in the billions of dollars just in terms of the amount of money that‘s being exchanged between companies and the number of jobs that that creates. So...

Here's the full transcript:

BILL WOLFF, EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, TRMS: My pleasure.

MADDOW: Am I allowed to call you a sports and gambling columnist?

WOLFF: Well, you know, you are what you are.

(LAUGHTER)

WOLFF: I don‘t recommend—I recommend sports, I don‘t recommend gambling. That‘s what the column is about.

MADDOW: Fair enough. And that is—that is part of the business of sports but let me—let me confront you with this. “A.P.” tonight, this will be the second straight season the PGA Tour begins without the number one player. This, of course, is different. A year ago, Tiger Woods was out of golf for eight months while recovering from reconstructive knee surgery. And during that time, U.S. television ratings dropped 50 percent.

WOLFF: Yes.

MADDOW: . for golf, in his absence. Now, it‘s going to happen all over again.

MADDOW: Is he ever going to come back?

MADDOW: OK.

WOLFF: But for the moment, you have the problem of the TV ratings. Then think about the problem of the golf tournaments. Golf tournaments generate economy in the places where they‘re held, San Diego or Hawaii, or Florida or wherever they might be this spring. They start in warm weather places.

So, he will miss tournaments in Hawaii, in California, potentially, Arizona and potentially Florida. The ticket sales will be down, the merchandise sales, the food—this is money-changing hands in local markets that now won‘t.

And there‘s more. Tiger Woods is an industry. It‘s not just companies that advertise around him, like Gillette razors advertisers and Gatorade makes products about him and TAG Heuer watches.

Think about Nike. Nike launched its golf line because Tiger Woods existed. It‘s all about Tiger Woods. That industry, that company, Nike does $600 million a year in golf equipment and apparel sales and that‘s based on Tiger Woods.

So, TV is one part of it. But the gross domestic product around this guy is in the billions of dollars just in terms of the amount of money that‘s being exchanged between companies and the number of jobs that that creates. So.

MADDOW: We think about—we think about the money of Tiger Woods being the money that he takes home.

WOLFF: Which is enormous.

MADDOW: Yes.

WOLFF: But that‘s just part of the story. I mean, he‘s an—he‘s an industry.

MADDOW: Well, the way I understand the economic impact of Tiger Woods is that he transforms—he and I are roughly the same age. He‘s a little bit younger than I am, I think. And I remember when he sort of broke unto the scene, I remember him being on the cover of “Sports Illustrated,” Sportsman of the Year when he was like.

MADDOW: . what, 20 years old.

WOLFF: Twenty-one, yes.

MADDOW: And for me, it seemed like the economic impact that he was going to have is that, all of a sudden, golf felt like a sport that wasn‘t just for country club white guys. He personally broke the sport open. And over the course of the past 15 years, he has made it one that involves a lot of younger people and seen as a much more diverse accessible sport.

Can that—which has an enormous economic impact—can that be undone?

WOLFF: I think that it can. I mean, consider the recent precedent of Alex Rodriguez who‘s a different guy and has different impact, but was similarly shamed.

Here was a guy who was exposed for having done performance-enhancing drugs and lying about it publicly and shamelessly, right? He also had had affairs on his wife who had his children, very publicly, on the cover of the tabloid. Here or there with this or that woman who wasn‘t his wife. And he was destroyed publicly. He was the butt of a joke, Alex Rodriguez.

Well, he had a great year after he came back from being injured and he performed magnificently for the Yankees as they went on to win the World Series. And guess what? It is all good for Alex Rodriguez today.

Now, Tiger is different. Tiger is more important singularly. He‘s an individual sport and he‘s the only guy like him in that sport. So, that is different.

There is more economy around Tiger and Tiger‘s image is more important to the business around Tiger than Alex Rodriguez‘ image was.

But Alex Rodriguez, Kobe Bryant—various other big, famous, and really successful athletes, have all recovered from reputation damage by performing again. If Tiger Woods plays golf again, and he will, and succeeds again—which I think remains to be seen—I think all will be forgiven and a lot of what made him a great sales icon, which is really mainly his excellence, more than an image is his excellence, will return and will be restored.

But for the moment, it‘s all in doubt.

MADDOW: So, you think that—you think that the economic and really sort of socially transformative juggernaut in sports of Tiger Woods was not about his perceived character, but really was about his ability.

WOLFF: Well, I think it was about—to some degree was his character, we all projected this wholesomeness on him and he played this wholesome game. I think, to a large degree, it was—it has been that he‘s African-American and young and athletic in a sport which you don‘t associate with any of those things.

So, what made him so iconic was how different he was from everybody else who have played the game, and also that he played it at this unprecedentedly brilliant level. So, I think, of those three things: his brilliant play, his distinguishing physical characteristics, and his image. I think image was the least important of them, actually.

MADDOW: How long do you think he‘ll be out?

WOLFF: I think he‘ll be back by mid-spring. Because he—the golf -

· golfing like tennis has major or grand slam tournaments. The first one is in—the Masters is in April.

MADDOW: Yes.

WOLFF: He is obsessed with winning those tournaments—those four tournaments each year. I don‘t think he‘ll miss out on an opportunity to play at the Masters. And so, I expect he will be back March, that‘s my guess. But I don‘t—he hasn‘t called.

MADDOW: He hasn‘t called to let you know.

WOLFF: I‘m sitting by my phone.

MADDOW: He is welcome on THE RACHEL MADDOW SHOW if he wants to talk about.

WOLFF: Anytime.

MADDOW: Everybody keep saying he‘s got to go on “Oprah,” why not us?

WOLFF: Exactly. Who‘s the best interviewer in the business, Tiger?

MADDOW: Or Bill Wolff, since he knows something about sports.

WOLFF: Yes, I‘ll sit there and smile.

MADDOW: Bill Wolff, sports columnist for “Philadelphia Enquirer,” a person who encourages people not to gamble on sports.

WOLFF: We do.

MADDOW: . and executive producer of this show, and executive vice president of prime time at MSNBC, an all around good guy—thank you.

WOLFF: My pleasure.

what a sublime put-down.

please can joyrex install a word filter for true, truth, truly, etc? we could have a poll for the replacement word(s).

what is the truth troon? what is it?

the truth is living without all this material crap and everything that comes with it.

the truth is living in support of the natural world instead of supporting things that are at odds with it.

the truth is living in support of our human bodies instead of supporting and interacting with things that are at odds with them.

'know they self'

'know the true nature of the world around us'

'know right from wrong'

these are all related to the truth, yet the truth is so much more then that!

it has been proven time and time again throughout history that the truth will often be hated because it will at least at first seem like it is going against what is enjoyable

to us or what we prefer. much (so called 'truth') in this world has been built from this process. people hear the truth,

then they don't like what they hear and they fit it to their own specifications of what they want

instead, mixed with alittle of the truth (maybe).

it essentially gets watered down.

we must fight to know the concentrate once again, it is a hard struggle and sometimes it is with one another, but

most of the time it is about struggling with ourselves in our own minds, bodies and spirits.

the truth will set us free.

Archived