IGNORED

WARP Showcase - SXSW 2010

Rubin Farr

yes, a Warp gig in god ole redneck country! i will be representing ya'll there.

Warp Records takes over the Phoenix as part of 2010's SXSW. Entry is free with a SXSW badge, get there early to avoid disappointment.

Warp Records / SXSW

March 17th 2010

The Phoenix

409 Colorado St (btwn E 4th and E 5th)

Lineup:

Flying Lotus (01.00)

Eskmo (24.00)

Hudson Mohawke (23.00)

Born Ruffians (22.00)

Pivot (21.00)

Nice Nice (20.00)

I don't know why people would want any musical act or label to be stuck in one point in time. I'm glad they aren't rehashing the past. However, this is about as dull as you can get to talk about, so let's move on

Guest SyrFox

Yes. I feel Warp has managed to get out of that "electronica" thigy yet remaining a label that releases incredibly great records. I could only name one or two Warp artists I do not enjoy (Grizzly Bear, Chok Rock). Anyway most of this line up is awesome. Flying Lotus, Hudson Mohawke (I know he's not much appreciated on here but I find him amazing), Pivot, Nice Nice... all great!

If you aren't already planning the attend the conference I would say don't bother. Found out from the venue manager all wristband holders will be let in first, then all badge holders, if they have any capacity left stragglers i.e. Us will be let in for a cover charge of "probably around $100 unless you want to garauntee your place be reserving a $300 bottle of champagne". Yeah fuck all that noise.

Haha...don't trust anyone unless you have bad people skills...

I am glad I didn't read this thread and just headed downtown to get into the show...

they did let the wristbanders and badgers in first but there weren't too many of them, so the rest of my friends and I paid a 15$ cover and got in, even sat at the reserved sections with folks that were coool enough to let us chill on "their" couch....posh fucking place they had it, had Goyas and Rembrandts and Bacon's art on the walls. really good prints....anyways here is the FlyLo down:

Nice Nice - First band and they ripped up a 45 minute set, started the off amazingly, thought they were gonna be the best act of the night, so fucking great, everyone needs to own 'Extra Wow' by them. went back to the posh couch to chill after their performance and ended up sitting next to the drummer from Nice Nice, talked to him a lot and then his band mate showed and ended up becoming quite friendly with these brilliant musicians...

Pivot - they go on after having talked to my friends and Nice Nice and we are all pretty captivated by what they played....the new Pivot sounds kind of Radiohead/Cure-esque, very cool new material, the basssist/lead singer had the loudest bass guitar sound in history, epic shit! Very cool indeed....

Born Ruffians - I danced with hot chicks to this crap and got pinched by the hottest Italian girl I have ever met....she thought I wasn't wearing green but I had found a button at work with five dots on it, emulating the four leaf clover, and the pin is green so I got to pinch her back....she was way too hot and naive, but boy would I have fucked the shit out of her....

Hudson Mohawke - so this rather handsome large, tough ass mother fucking Black man cruises out to introduce Hudson, kind of weird I thought, but I guess he is a singer on the Butter record....HudMo came out and looks like Augustus Gloop from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory....looks a bit special.....and he pretty much just anchored himself behind his laptop doing his chav dance and played tracks of his making, ones we have heard, one that was pretty ambient and trippy, was cool....didn't do much in the way of playing live....Mister MC was busy getting the crowd hyped while Clam Boy was looking for the next tracks to mix in...not impressive for me...sounded cool though, but just straight tracks from his warp record

Eskmo- Tore the fucking house down, people were loving his futuristic sound-scapes and amazing bass flows and just next level shit...had a singer come out....played all of my favourite tracks and was fucking with them constantly, making them different and even more trippy than his actual releases...he will have to have a full length on Warp....Austin Texas thought he was an electronic music god tonight, and si do I

Flying Lotus - This will be hard to describe accurately so I will use word-phrases and adjectives. Space is the Place, Contemporary, Unrelenting, Amazing visuals from the film Pi all chopped and made to go with his music constantly and intensely. Was more beauty than I could have imagined. Truly a mind blower.

I am glad I didn't read this thread and just headed downtown to get into the show...

they did let the wristbanders and badgers in first but there weren't too many of them, so the rest of my friends and I paid a 15$ cover and got in, even sat at the reserved sections with folks that were coool enough to let us chill on "their" couch....posh fucking place they had it, had Goyas and Rembrandts and Bacon's art on the walls. really good prints....anyways here is the FlyLo down:

Hudson Mohawke - so this rather handsome large, tough ass mother fucking Black man cruises out to introduce Hudson, kind of weird I thought, but I guess he is a singer on the Butter record....HudMo came out and looks like Augustus Gloop from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory....looks a bit special.....and he pretty much just anchored himself behind his laptop doing his chav dance and played tracks of his making, ones we have heard, one that was pretty ambient and trippy, was cool....didn't do much in the way of playing live....Mister MC was busy getting the crowd hyped while Clam Boy was looking for the next tracks to mix in...not impressive for me...sounded cool though, but just straight tracks from his warp record

Eskmo- Tore the fucking house down, people were loving his futuristic sound-scapes and amazing bass flows and just next level shit...had a singer come out....played all of my favourite tracks and was fucking with them constantly, making them different and even more trippy than his actual releases...he will have to have a full length on Warp....Austin Texas thought he was an electronic music god tonight, and si do I

Flying Lotus - This will be hard to describe accurately so I will use word-phrases and adjectives. Space is the Place, Contemporary, Unrelenting, Amazing visuals from the film Pi all chopped and made to go with his music constantly and intensely. Was more beauty than I could have imagined. Truly a mind blower.

I am very glad I choose this over the Stones Throw Showcase. Walked in on Hud Mo as he finished up, nice little DJ set but yeah, I agree it didn't seem mind-blowing.

Eskmo - Dude from San Francisco wearing a Residents t-shirt and sporting a Orlando Bloom-ish mustache was the last person I expected to hear play dubstep. I was glad he did though, because MRK1 was playing some other venue at the same time and I missed out. Excellent live set up (MPC, Drum Machine, laptop, MIDI keyboard) made the set a lot more interesting. Vocalist was a nic touch, but not a highlight; I found his live playing a lot more impressive.

Flying Lotus - damn, I can't add much. It was IDM as fuck but still made everyone dance. In my case, it made volunteering over 50 hours for a SXSW badge more than worthwhile. And he played Avril 14th, even singing a little diddy to the melody for a couple of bars.

Guest ms-dos

Nice Nice - First band and they ripped up a 45 minute set, started the off amazingly, thought they were gonna be the best act of the night, so fucking great, everyone needs to own 'Extra Wow' by them. went back to the posh couch to chill after their performance and ended up sitting next to the drummer from Nice Nice, talked to him a lot and then his band mate showed and ended up becoming quite friendly with these brilliant musicians...

Pivot - they go on after having talked to my friends and Nice Nice and we are all pretty captivated by what they played....the new Pivot sounds kind of Radiohead/Cure-esque, very cool new material, the basssist/lead singer had the loudest bass guitar sound in history, epic shit! Very cool indeed....

Born Ruffians - I danced with hot chicks to this crap and got pinched by the hottest Italian girl I have ever met....she thought I wasn't wearing green but I had found a button at work with five dots on it, emulating the four leaf clover, and the pin is green so I got to pinch her back....she was way too hot and naive, but boy would I have fucked the shit out of her....

love the Atop rundowns. sounds great. i would've killed to see eskmo and flying lotus -- two of the most exciting producers in the biz

haha hudmo is chunkier than i expected, he looks kinda portly

yeah i too am curious about the Eskmo full length on warp is there is one coming out, his Hypercolor ep sounds like a mixture of wonky and my shit or Amon's foley room kind of so it's really piqued my curiosity

saw Eskmo again tonight, didn't get a chance to ask him but his new material sounds so good...

I bet Warp is looking at him for a full length....

if not warp then µ....

He would fit in nicely with the Warp roster...

The dubstep version of Clark...

You lucky bastard. Never fails I'm always super busy or super broke every year during SXSW.

Archived