IGNORED

MYST

Frank Poole

Guest Rabid

are the sequels worth getting?

YES

Riven is amazing. Myst IV almost as good (I've heard).

Idk anything about pc/mac differences

It always gets slated everywhere but I really enjoyed it. For some reason I got it free with my HP printer back in the day and I was completely addicted to it for months. I found Riven a bit too aimless (especially being on about 12,000 CDs) but Myst III was well good fun and a return to form. I haven't played 4 or 5 though ...

Guest JohnTqs

I had MYST 3 for PS2. It's really slow but i remember it being very fun. Couldn't beat it without the walkthrough though!

Riven is the best video game ever made. period.

best use of sound design since MYST, and before that, star wars.

the art design is so beautiful, it's really just like walking around in a gallery of an artist's life work. Riven is where the MYST genre came into its own. MYST is quirky clever game with some cool ideas. Riven is high art.

riven-09.jpg

riven-72.jpg

riven-16.jpg

riven-30.jpg

13 years old and it's still a total trip. I love it.

MYST III is decent, IV was better but kinda cheesy in a bad way, V was utter shit.

The books are alright too.

/diehard MYST fan

edit: also if you're having problems on MYST, then Riven will literally rip your head apart. "Catherine my love, remember the tower rotation!"

Guest hahathhat

i'm getting some 4srs synchronicities, here.

1) yesterday, i think of myst. just out of nowhere, like.. oh yeah that game. haven't thought of that in ages.

2) today, i see this thread.

3) just now -- roomie brought a sega saturn from a closet back home... i step into the room... and he's playing myst! on the fucking sega saturn. i didn't even know it was released for that!

Guest SecondaryCell

This.

Actually I want to be trapped in Myst III's Amateria age by myself, forever... that would be like going to heaven for me. In Amateria it's late in the afternoon, the shadows are getting long and the light is golden. There is a faint rumble of a storm far out to sea, you can see the clouds beginning to come in, and the sky is pink. There are polygonal basalt columns all over the island that remind me of the cover of Zepplin's Houses Of The Holy album. Every time I play that age I get so immersed that it feels as if I'm there, and then of course I have to snap back to the grim reality of real life. (Sidenote: there is a repeating mechanical soundscape in the Amateria age that appears to be identical to a section in Silene by Biosphere. Don't know if one ripped the other off, or if it's simply coincidence.)

RE: OSX, I've had success in getting Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation and realMYST running on a MacMini connected to a large plasma display. The hardest one to get happening was Riven, which needed to have Sheepshaver installed - an emulator that allows installation of OS 8.6 under OSX. Then I dug around and found the version of Riven that is contained in one DVD and installed it under the emulated 8.6 OS. Also, with a little AppleScripting I set it up so that starting Sheepshaver boots 8.6 and then mounts an image of the DVD and auto runs the Riven app. This all happens very quickly and acts just like double-clicking a regular app - then bam! I'm playing Riven in OSX on a plasma display in my living room. It runs perfectly, no glitches and the iMac is an older G4 1.4Ghz.

Also, the iPhone version of the original Myst is dead on - completely ported over in every way and an absolutely excellent experience even on the small screen.

Riven X is an almost perfect app to run Riven natively in OS X. most things work in the game but it's still in beta. You have to have a copy of the game tho.

Everyone always seemed to complain about how hard the games were but I never found them that difficult (yes even Riven took me only a week first go round) I found them much more entertaining and engrossing than any shooter or even SIM game. It's a real shame games like these are made as much or at all any more. Myst Online was great but never really got off the ground in a good way. Nowadays Cyan is just really a depressing husk of what they once were (the makers of the best selling video games of all time!)

I feel like an era is gone. :facepalm:

This.

Actually I want to be trapped in Myst III's Amateria age by myself, forever... that would be like going to heaven for me. In Amateria it's late in the afternoon, the shadows are getting long and the light is golden. There is a faint rumble of a storm far out to sea, you can see the clouds beginning to come in, and the sky is pink. There are polygonal basalt columns all over the island that remind me of the cover of Zepplin's Houses Of The Holy album. Every time I play that age I get so immersed that it feels as if I'm there, and then of course I have to snap back to the grim reality of real life. (Sidenote: there is a repeating mechanical soundscape in the Amateria age that appears to be identical to a section in Silene by Biosphere. Don't know if one ripped the other off, or if it's simply coincidence.)

I am right there with you. When I was younger I would just open up various save games and just wander around in the game purely for the ambiance. Each place in Riven and Exile have a perfectly constructed atmosphere and I appreciate them all. I would always crawl to the obscure areas of Voltaic and just listen to the mechanical hum drone on. I would go to the warm, sunny openings as well as the dark, swampy mires of Edanna and meditate. I would sit on the pillars of Amateria and ponder as the water ripples. I would walk onto the desolate, sandy beaches of J'Nanin and contemplate my situation. I would visit the libraries of Narayan and...*farts*

Guest SecondaryCell
Riven X is an almost perfect app to run Riven natively in OS X. most things work in the game but it's still in beta. You have to have a copy of the game tho.

I had high hopes for Riven X, but could never get it to run properly on the G4 - maybe it works better on the Intel Macs. Still, the Sheepshaver approach works very well even though it's a bit convoluted to setup.

13 years old and it's still a total trip. I love it.

MYST III is decent, IV was better but kinda cheesy in a bad way, V was utter shit.

The books are alright too.

/diehard MYST fan

edit: also if you're having problems on MYST, then Riven will literally rip your head apart. "Catherine my love, remember the tower rotation!"

did some head scratching at first, but now that i'm into it's going really smooth.

i can't wait to play all the sequels, even if they are shit. it'll be like suffering through arthur c. clarke's rendezvous with rama sequels again.

Guest Z_B_Z

I completely forgot that I downloaded myst to my ipod touch and never played it. Thanks for the reminder! I use to love this game but could never get through it without a walk through

Guest Deep Fried Everything

i'm asking a 15 year old question here i know, but for whatever reason i never played the original myst or any of the sequels; if you were a fan of games like the 7th guest, i'm guessing myst is right up your alley?

Guest Coalbucket PI

I played Myst with my brother when we were 9 or 10, I had literally no idea how to solve anything

Guest Ron Manager

lol yeah I played these when I must have been 10-12 or something. I think I got through Myst with a few hints from my dad. I never got to the end of Riven though - at least I don't think. I should give it another go, they were really fun games.

3) just now -- roomie brought a sega saturn from a closet back home... i step into the room... and he's playing myst! on the fucking sega saturn. i didn't even know it was released for that!

Holy Shit! I gotta get me that. I've never played Myst, but Riven was an excellent game.

I remember I couldn't get anywhere at first, and then I started taking a bunch of notes. I ended up with 7 pages of notes and diagrams. Still couldn't beat one of the puzzles. (Some sort of 3D topographical map thing)

I remember I couldn't get anywhere at first, and then I started taking a bunch of notes. I ended up with 7 pages of notes and diagrams. Still couldn't beat one of the puzzles. (Some sort of 3D topographical map thing)

I remember exactly the puzzle you mean and that was the one that killed me too. If I remember correctly the big map shows locations of some sort of beacons and you had to transfer that onto some other machine that you had to specify where those beacons are located. Something like that anyways, I remember the metal pins shooting up and down though which reminded me of these things

thumb_3989_image1_PinArt_72_dpi_1.jpg

Which I always wanted as a kid....

Archived