IGNORED

Song from my upcoming album...

Zephyr_Nova

This is from my "acoustic driven" music, which is not so say it's an acoustic project at all, but that it's routed in songs mostly written on acoustic guitar. I've been spending a looooooooooong time working on this album, and it's finally getting to a point where I think it might be ready, minus one new song that I think will provide the missing link. Anyway, I tend not to write very "singly" sounding songs, but I think this one might fit the category --anytime I come up with something that sounds like a single I'm usually embarrassed of it, but this one's pretty cool. I was hoping to get some honest feedback on it and how it holds up as a single to anyone of you (ie is it memorable/catchy and would it intrigue you to hear the rest of the album). Any and all comments are welcome, even the snide ones.

Thanks in advance, wattms!

Dude, this is really good i think. Very nicely produced and catchy as hell. Judging the sudden ending i take it it isn't finished. So i'm going to say this. The chorus dosen't quite announce itself enough, it could do with a little ooomph. Other than that carry on with it becuase it's a very good little song. :ok:

Edit: Definately single material i think.

Yeah, this could make a good single with a slight bit of polishing. It's short, but doesn't feel rushed, which is probably a good thing for trying to entice listeners who aren't used to listening to ten minute long electronic epics.

Thanks so much for the comments. The song's brevity is something I like about it, and it makes sense in the context of the album (it's an almost-everything flows together kind of deal). Normally I would have a bridge and a third chorus in there, but I thought this one said all it needed to say by the end of the second chorus. Making it a single is sort of an afterthought though. It's not anything I expected to happen, but I think it works better in that capacity than anything else on the album. You may have a good point about the chorus needing to announce itself a bit more, which I certainly don't think would hurt it (so long as I actually do it right, heheh) I will seriously consider that suggestion.

Cheers,

-Eric

Guest ryanmcallister

dude....you hang out on here? man a couple years ago i did a remix of your "Origins Unknown" track for school (jacked from acidplanet or whatever)! cool!

Nice! I hope you had fun with it. I might do another remix thing for this one. It would be a much easier song to work with. I think people had trouble figuring out how everything fit together with the last one, which lead to some interesting results... Anyway, it's cool to know someone recognizes my work from a whole other source other than the watmms. That tells me it's actually getting around a bit.

there are some very nice neo-psychedelic chords in there

Those would be E7Sharp9Suspended4 and variations there-of (AKA me grooving hard on barred harmonics... it only works with the bassline in there.)

http://soundcloud.com/ryanmcallister/origins-unknown-eric-hogg-remix

lol, oooooooooooollllllllllllllllllddddddddddddddddd!

That's fucking awesome man! I wish you'd entered the contest, because that certainly would have been in the top three. Great musical ideas, without a doubt one of the strongest interpretations I've heard. Thanks for doing it!

great track. love the vocals.

Cheers! :beer: My vocals are the one thing I'm quite self-conscious of, so it's nice to hear people actually do like the sound of my voice. Granted this is one of my better performances vocally --there's some other vocal work on the album I'm less confident about.

The production on the guitar is really cool and the subtle bits of percussion hidden in there work very well which, knowing you, are probably acorns being struck against a half-empty litre of laundry detergent (or something comparably esoteric).

I also like the hints of psychedelia near the end of the second verse with the reversed guitar (between 1:26 - 1:31 or so has some cool dissonace). Could be a single... Though if it came down to me choosing to remix a track I'd prefer to do a rework of 'Falling'. Would love to have a go at reinterpreting one of your tracks!

The production on the guitar is really cool and the subtle bits of percussion hidden in there work very well which, knowing you, are probably acorns being struck against a half-empty litre of laundry detergent (or something comparably esoteric).

That's probably what i should have done. But the truth is something far less creative: I needed percussion, I was holding my guitar, and I thought "fuck it, I'll just tap on my guitar and see if that works."

I also like the hints of psychedelia near the end of the second verse with the reversed guitar (between 1:26 - 1:31 or so has some cool dissonace). Could be a single... Though if it came down to me choosing to remix a track I'd prefer to do a rework of 'Falling'. Would love to have a go at reinterpreting one of your tracks!

Cool, that might be my favorite point in the song too. I used this old rusting, slightly detuned autoharp for that.

Falling is another option for a single, though I'm not sure it's as catchy. I just redid vocals for the chorus on that one.

woa this is good

Glad you liked it!

Guest cult fiction

Gorgeous! For a moment I thought Elliott Smith had risen from his grave and started posting on watmm. Really fantastic! Looking forward to hearing an album of this stuff...

Thanks a lot!

Hm, I wonder what an undead Elliott Smith would be singing about... I'm not sure the world is ready for that, though I'd probably still be a fan. The melody to the verse of Everything Means Nothing to Me is one of the most beautiful melodies ever written. Also, saddest song title ever.

Thanks a lot!

I never really thought this one sounded much like Elliott Smith, but I certainly can't deny that he's had a big influence on me. I'm guessing it's the vocal double tracking/soft delivery combo that does it. Melodically/arrangement-wise I don't think it's similar at all. But yeah, can't deny the influence.

Archived