IGNORED

hipster glasses

Alcofribas

why are these so controvercial?

I rarely see people bitching about rings or necklaces or decorative clothing per se or even tattoos but the slightest mention of non prescription glasses for fashion gets people all in a wad.

so what gives?

I for one do not wear glasses as I am not a fucking loser.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the hipsters are just being nice. It's like in that Vonnegut story, Harrison Bergeron. They're self-handicapping (albeit in a superficial way-- they are hipsters) so that the people who have to wear glasses don't feel as completely defective as they, in actuality, are.

lol @ rural hipsters

as a glasses wearer, do you feel hipsters are being insensitive to your plight? is that why people are so pissed over this?

i have a friend that wore fake glasses around me... i told him to remove them and he hasn't worn them since. he was that dude that dressed like whoever he was hanging out with. when he hung with me, he'd wear glasses, grow some facial hair, and wear a form fitted jacket. when he hangs with his rockabilly friends, he'd wear his hair in a pompadore and roll up his jeans. whenever he hangs with his goth friends, he'd wear a black leather vest with no shirt underneath and black pants.

lol @ rural hipsters

as a glasses wearer, do you feel hipsters are being insensitive to your plight? is that why people are so pissed over this?

i have a friend that wore fake glasses around me... i told him to remove them and he hasn't worn them since. he was that dude that dressed like whoever he was hanging out with. when he hung with me, he'd wear glasses, grow some facial hair, and wear a form fitted jacket. when he hangs with his rockabilly friends, he'd wear his hair in a pompadore and roll up his jeans. whenever he hangs with his goth friends, he'd wear a black leather vest with no shirt underneath and black pants.

sounds like an interesting guy. still in grade school?

I doubt anyone ever wears stuff they hate or simply find ironic. They must love it to a great degree otherwise they wouldn't do it for longer than a week...

:rhubear1::rhubear3::rhubear2:

lol @ rural hipsters

sounds like an interesting guy. still in grade school?

try almost 40!

asym, that's fucking weird yo!

in the end I feel they're just trying to look cool to be accepted by others, get laid and feel good about themselves. like anyone really.

and as for what's the deal w watmm's hipster obsession: we're most of us in roughly the same demographic and like a form of "indie" music (ae is probably more indie than most "indie" bands) and "hipsters" are the mainstream versions of us -- they're skinny, white, into music, read the same books ("read"), etc. it's not weird or fascinating that they should come up. if I go out to a bar and meet some one who knows of ae or aphex, chances are they're hipsters.

I doubt that most hipsters look in the mirror and think, "oh I'm looking suitably nerdy/smart today." they probably just think, "yeah, this looks aight. hopefully Karyn will go out with me." *puts on hudson mohawk*

Guest ezkerraldean

lol @ rural hipsters

there's a thought, are hipsters purely an urban thing? i reckon yes

fucking hipsters

I've never been known to be on the anti-hipster thing around here. They don't bother more than anyone else really.

lol @ rural hipsters

there's a thought, are hipsters purely an urban thing? i reckon yes

fucking hipsters

There are indeed hipsters in my town. But it's not completely rural. It's a town of 30,000 or so.

the distinguishing thing about hipsters that makes them so reprehensible is their insincerity.

a rural hipster would actually have to be moved by music, find comfort and joy in tight pants, etc since there would be no social group to vaildate their decisions.

bloodless fucks.

the distinguishing thing about hipsters that makes them so reprehensible is their insincerity.

This goes for anyone really.

a rural hipster would actually have to be moved by music, find comfort and joy in tight pants, etc since there would be no social group to vaildate their decisions.

They have their small social groups. I'm sure they ultimately aspire to eventually move away to the large cities where most of watmm lives.

Archived