IGNORED

hipster glasses

Alcofribas

Guest ezkerraldean

maybe my hipster-hate goes hand-in-hand with my general disdain, as a country lad, for starbucks-loving metro people who live in London and look down on anywhere that isn't London. actually they're pretty much the same thing in my mind.

lol

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess my original post was inspired by a confusion over the reasons behind people's critique of hipster fashion: I think the "oh they're just trying to look nerdy" or "fuck you glasses are for seeing better" explanations are inadequate. like, if David Bowie wore hipster glasses I'd be like, damn that dude is awesome. but when I see some fucker cunt on a fixie cruising by w his messenger bag, tight pants, "Arab" scarf, hipster glasses etc I just think "FUCK YOU."

and ultimately, it's just this Holden Caufield outrage at phonies. wearing glasses just for fashion is fine, but when you're presence on the planet is just a pathetic attempt to fit in an such it really is annoying.

and I think te reason watmm hates them especially is bc they come much closer to watmm's style than yuppies or jocks or whatever. I mean, if the currently reading thread isn't a hipster library...

I don't understand WATMM's obsession with hipster? I'm pretty much new here .. did something happen in the past? (Like a traumatic experience involving a hipster?)

im not sure. plus there have been hipsters for decades, they are not a new breed. its just their costumes change every ten years or so. they used to refer to kramer on seinfeld as a hipster doofus. i think the current incarnation of these creatures is particularly grating for a lot of people though. me included.

Yeah, the transition between Kramer-type hipster, who's heart was in it, and the current more fashion-specific brand of hipsterism is really off-putting. It's more of a trend now, and it's adopted some of the iconography of hipsterism past, but in a really shallow way. It's solidified and shallow group-think the way "scene" and "emo" is. Basically, fuck Gen Y for fucking everything up, shallow little fucks.

I don't understand WATMM's obsession with hipster? I'm pretty much new here .. did something happen in the past? (Like a traumatic experience involving a hipster?)

they used to refer to kramer on seinfeld as a hipster doofus.

this is true, it was george who said it right?

Hey, remember the hipster grifter?

ht_kari_ferrell_090911_mn.jpg

I didn't realize they caught her last summer.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/hipster-grifter-kari-ferrell-speaks-jail-bad-checks/story?id=8552059&page=1

Her third and final tattoo, on her back, which carried the message "I Love Beards" in words and images.

lol?

i have glasses for distance. it also helps when i watch hockey/get drunk.

and the 'betes, what with fluctuating blood glucose, can mess your vision up.

i hate "hipsters" who wear tacky glasses cause it's ironic or what the fuck ever, is just dumb.

Guest Gary C

Iain C was silly enough to wear non-prescription glasses for a period. He even needs glasses.

As a person who has worn prescription glasses and, in recent years, contact lenses since I was 7 years old I'm saddened by these people. I had to put up with bulky frames too big for my face, the weight on my nose, the stigma of wearing glasses, the inability to play sports properly and the years of having no confidence at all.

FTW

i almost want to say im "offended" at people wearing non-prescription glasses......as a man with near sightedness why on earth would i want to voluntarily wear these abominations?

maybe i should use a wheelchair from now on. that'll be the new "hip" handicap.

• 3 months later...
Guest acknowledgeandproceed

what is ironic about it? aren't they just wearing them cuz they think it looks cool?

I'm wearing 'em because my old pair is dead and the jackasses at the shop didn't have anything less pretentious.

I miss your face. Please answer me next time I call.

Love,

Your mom

Could it have anything to do with the fact that the current generation of hipster, unlike previous, is younger than most of us?

Damn kids, with their bikes and attractive girlfriends.

i have a very weak prescription for distance viewing, i wear them all the time because even the slightest blur in my vision annoys the fuck out of me.

also re: hipsters, i think the only reason people here hate them is because they're just like us, except they get laid more often, lol.

Guest tht tne

also re: hipsters, i think the only reason people here hate them is because they're just like us, except they get laid more often, lol.

idm nerds do it better

Guest Calx Sherbet

It just seems like a pathetic attempt to look smart

never talking in class will make everyone think you're incredibly smart. never failed for me. it got old quickly

Guest catacombus

The real irony is that those big black frame glasses don't make people look smart, they make it look like they're trying to look smart. But real prescription glasses do make people look smart, at least that's what I think when I see a chick wearing normal glasses.

Archived