IGNORED

macbook pro

jules

so my g5 tower is pretty much dead and im going to switch to a macbook pro when the new ones get released. i have a 27" imac at work and have gotten used to the glossy screen. does anyone here have a matte macbook pro? do you like it much better than the glossy? i do graphic design so color is obviously very important. thanks for the help!

I have a glossy one and do video stuff. I like the glossy look better. It just feels more crisp. My thought is that if you are in an environment that produces a lot of glare (ie: sunny office or frequent outdoor locations) then you may want to consider matte. I prefer glossy though.

Guest Coalbucket PI

The screen on my MacBook Pro is excellent but yeah you need to be well away from sunlight

edit:MacBoko

If you get the glossy screen, there will be situations where you regret having it. Rooms with lots of light sources (coffee shops with wall lights, overhead lights, and big bright windows, for example) can be especially annoying. You'll find yourself putting the screen at sub-optimal angles just to avoid blinding reflections.

It's not always a problem, and most times you won't really notice, but sometimes it just sucks.

The upside is deeper colors and improved sharpness. If you look at a matte display close enough, you can see the matte finish, maybe even see the slight shimmer it causes. Flat glass doesn't have that.

Also: Matte version has a silver bezel, instead of black. Doesn't look as nice, imo.

[youtubehd]bx23N6qFqRg[/youtubehd]

I think matte version is great for outdoor use, my friend has a glossy screen and it sucks outdoors

edit: i prefer the silver bezel, with the black it looks too much like a PC Laptop, and i like to have my mac faggery served extra hot ;)

i mean seriously it's not that bad of an issue is it? if you've bought a massive 27" of glossiness in your iMac, you'll be able to live with it probably. It will fit the looks of the big one better. and to anyone saying glossy screens are not good for print, where did you hear that, on youtube? these screens are not able to be properly calibrated, glossy or not. Buy a decent, reasonably sized, external screen if you need that sort of accuracy. I'm tempted to bet none of you have a calibrated screen because you don't really need it.

(edit: calibration by sight is not calibration)

a more interesting question would be, is the bigger 3D graphics thing worth the extra cash?

the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT thing.

how good/bad is the cheaper Intel integrated graphics for the stuff you're going to do?

how good a value are the more expensive models to the one without the nvidia graphics card?

Guest blicero

If you do anything with design and colors always use a matte screen

Why is that? I would think that matte might make things look fuzzy.

BTW, don't buy a Macbook yet. quadcore i7s are coming.

the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT thing.

how good/bad is the cheaper Intel integrated graphics for the stuff you're going to do?

how good a value are the more expensive models to the one without the nvidia graphics card?

id prefer a better card obviously, from what ive read, the new ones can now switch without a restart?

BTW, don't buy a Macbook yet. quadcore i7s are coming.

yea, thats what im waiting for. its been this this coming tuesday for months, but really, this time it may be this tuesday...

Guest blicero

its been this this coming tuesday for months, but really, this time it may be this tuesday...

yeah, fucking tell me about it. i'm supposed to get one for work when they release the i7, so i've been very very eager.

ssd cuts load times by a huge amount. totally worth it if you have money to blow.

[youtubehd]Elujjdo_8XU[/youtubehd]

you'll love it every time you open an app.

they'll also give you about 20% more battery life.

its been this this coming tuesday for months, but really, this time it may be this tuesday...

yeah, fucking tell me about it. i'm supposed to get one for work when they release the i7, so i've been very very eager.

so it really does look like tomorrow is the day.

no, they arent that much faster for the ridiculous price jump. 7200 rpm hard drive upgrade is good enough.

id like to see the price diff. i dont need a huge hd, i have externals. maybe if one ships with a smaller ssd drive (like 150 gb) it would be worth it?

40 gig is all you need. just enough to fit the OS and your apps. everything else can be put on an external firewire drive (or even a shared network drive) and you won't notice.

check it out, only $125 for the 40 gig:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167025

or, if you want a little more breathing room, $225 for 80 gigs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167023

both of these will give you massive performance gains when it comes to booting and launching apps.

ah, i love this thread. i'm looking into buying a laptop this summer cause i'll need it for school and i'd like it to be a macbook pro. i think i'm gonna go to the apple store and check out the difference between matte and glossy. common sense tells me to go with a matte finish because i don't want glare, but if the texture is really that noticeable, i might just have to go with the glossy.

also, solid state drive or regular hard drive? i'd really like a solid state drive, but the ones apple is offering right now are smaller than the regular hard drive and they cost a lot more, so it's $500 for a hard drive that's 250 gigs smaller... but solid state. is it worth it?

i kinda wanna use this laptop i'm planning on getting as my main computer because the one i have now is an old dinky imac with 2 gigs of memory. whatever macbook pro i get, it'll actually be more powerful than my desktop i think.

i think if you buy the solid state direct from apple its very pricey, get an intel one and self install it instead like the one chaoasmachine is linking to

2 of my friends have the glossy mac book pro and they are jealous as hell of my matte screen. :whistling:

ssd cuts load times by a huge amount. totally worth it if you have money to blow.

[youtubehd]Elujjdo_8XU[/youtubehd]

you'll love it every time you open an app.

they'll also give you about 20% more battery life.

i stand corrected, i also forget how much prices go down on computer components over time. they actually seem reasonably priced now

i'd do that if it didn't void my warranty and if i knew my way around computers better. i don't feel like exploding my pretty new macbook pro after buying it.

i guess, for me, it depends on what they are offering when they get announced tomorrow (hopefully) maybe the midrange 15" will have a ssd option. fingers crossed that matte vs glossy is same price too.

Archived