IGNORED

Midi Sequencer

bossman

Hey, I have a YamahaAN200 desktop synth, it has a very rad PLG150 board inside that I can tweak w/ an old software editor, BUT the 16-step sequencer fucks up whenever I try to chain patterns together, it skips the first few steps when it makes transitions, so I was hoping somebody could recommend amazing midi sequencers I could try out as a master. I'm totally new to this.thx

depending on how much you want to spend I would recommend:

Analogue Solutions Europa

Doepfer MAQ 16/3

MFB Step64

Future Retro Orb

all the above are fantastic pattern sequencers, but most are quite expensive. they are all best suited to making analogue style acidy type patterns, basslines and lead synth lines.

the only other sequencers you can buy new are things like the Yamaha QY range and the various Grooveboxes on the market. They're all a bit shit though really.

I see.. the yamahaQY's are looking more my price range.

have you used one? looks like QY100>70>22>10 but wondering if a cheaper 70/22 will do what I want. just want to chain basslines and leads... you know if storage is an issue? qy100 has the smartmedia drive, but do you need it??

i used to have a QY70 and a QY10 yeah, used them for ages to sequence a Creamware Pro-12 and an Alesis Micron, as well as using the drum and synth sounds on the QY70. to be honest i have got a bit of a soft spot for the QY series really, but i did eventually get tired of the constant fiddlyness of scrolling through different menus and programming patterns on the little keyboard. i sold them a while back and now use Cubase and a Future Retro Revolution for sequencing. anyway, they're pretty powerful little sequencers and you can get some good results so yeah go for it - you can always sell it again if you don't like it i guess...

edit: storage was never an issue for me

Guest Ramses

Hey guys, I haven't really looked into external sequencers too much but I am curious about polyphony. Would it be possible on any of these (futureretro orb for example) to program a chord that is fired to a poly synth (DSI tetra for example)?

Much appreciated!

Hey guys, I haven't really looked into external sequencers too much but I am curious about polyphony. Would it be possible on any of these (futureretro orb for example) to program a chord that is fired to a poly synth (DSI tetra for example)?

Much appreciated!

no the FR stuff is strictly monophonic but you can program note lengths/slides/accents/transpose and shuffle all on the fly

squarepusher sequenced 'go plastic' on a qy 700 if that is any indication of how useful it is.

are you sure? i thought he was well into computers at that point, and reaktor.

squarepusher sequenced 'go plastic' on a qy 700 if that is any indication of how useful it is.

on one of the interviews on his website (whenever it was promoting "Hello Everything") definitely stated that he did not use any computers on Go Plastic. search the sp forum, they might have more there. now whether or not he is telling the truth, i guess we'll never know, but i'm inclined to believe him. i would bet that most of the mangling that seems to be computerized is due to the eventide processors. of course i could be wrong.

I am right.

edit: thought I'd add some proof:

- In "ULTRAVISITOR", you revived the authentic Squarepusher sound by integrating the free jazz approach in "Music is Rotted One Note" and laptop originated sound in "Go Plastic", "Do You Know Squarepusher". Would you say that having recorded "ULTRAVISITOR" had a positive effect on "HELLO EVERYTHING"?

First of all, I didn't use a computer on "Go Plastic". It was made with a Yamaha QY700, TX81 and FS1R, an Eventide DSP4000 and Orville, an Akai S6000 and a Mackie 16 channel desk.

i think he was just bullshitting if he's said otherwise. My take? he did not use a QY or an eventide harmonizer on this LP but it sounds better to say you used those rather than saying you used only a computer

ok ok i can buy that he used an eventide and a qy700 for some of the sequencing, say of like the amen break fuckery etc. Very impressive if he did, the guy is a genius. However there is quite a lot of linear digital editing done on this album, so much so that it would be nearly impossible for him not to do it on a computer running some kind of DAW software . All of the quick stops and starts of reverb bursts had to have been done on some kind of audio editing workstation.

more interview quotes because, hey, if people can't be arsed to do their own research:

- On the front cover you have a picture of a Yamaha QY700. In an interview we did with you in the past you had told us that you use this and was wondering if you still use it. If so, why do you choose to keep using the QY700 as opposed to using the more recent computer + sequencing software approach?

I am confident enough in both my tools of choice and my compositional ability that I don't need to be using the most up to date equipment to keep my music up to date. I really must emphasize that I think the obsession that a lot of musicians have with continually updating their studios with the most modern equipment is totally absurd. The supposed correlation with modern music and modern equipment is primarily an industry propagated myth that keeps musicians enslaved to this pointless process of continually buying new music gear. It is much more important to apply ingenuity to the usage of music making tools than it is to make sure you have the latest tools.

It is sad how ready people seem to be to obey this myth propagated in endless advertisements and articles. I would suggest that it has something to do with the capitalist inheritance of assessing one's and other people's worth via the value of their possessions. Musicians see themselves as being more credible if they have more equipment. Certainly if I was to publish pictures of my studio, it would impress very few people, as it contains hardly any gear. I just have a set of bare essentials that I know absolutely inside out.

I suspect also that people get obsessed with buying new music gear because it distracts them from the sad fact that they have very little actual inspiration. The manner in which equipment is advertised encourages the less critical musician to think that a new piece of gear can offer them a way out of a creative impasse. Which of course, it could -but then so could a brisk walk in the countryside, or going to a good musical performance.

Obviously there have been times for me when I have felt the need to update equipment. Although the range of possibilities are vast with any equipment, it sometimes occurs that the necessary enthusiasm to use a piece of equipment beings to wane, on account of the steadily diminishing amount of new ideas that can be explored with it. At that point and only at that point would I advocate investing in new gear. Perseverance is the only thing that can remove the contemporary musician from the trap of equipment obsession.

Archived