IGNORED

free portal

o00o

Guest ruiagnelo

i guess some people don't realise how popular Portal is.

Valve included

Portal has a whole cult following it. Surprisingly.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest iamabe

my gf cried when she had to kill the Companion Cube

hell yeah @ bender rodriguez figure. I've got a mini Zoidberg and Leela too.

The Indie Games Bundle (Machinarium, World of Goo + 3 others) is a realllllly good deal. world of goo and machinarium are each worth 20 (seriously, both great puzzle games with lots of charm and good art).

Also Torchlight is quite good, if only for being a mindlessly fun diablo clone. Only $10!

also wtf, can't DL portal because the servers are too busy to handle my request. :facepalm:

I was thinking of giving that a DL today, those look pretty great.

Obviously, being around geeky internet groups, I knew what to expect re: Portal long before actually playing it (as in, long before last night), but it's still so refreshing. I know it's ridiculously short, but for $0 I am not going to complain!

It plays/looks pretty fine for me (I backed off on the resolution and a few settings, but the difference wasn't huge), but I've been away from gaming since HL1 and SC1, so I'm easy to please. There's a little lag/hitch every time you run through a portal but it's not terribly noticeable.

As long as the rest of the Orange Box playable (I'm a little more anxious about true FPS stuff running at usable frame rates, but I guess I could turn off antialiasing and pick up a few?), I'll be set for a while between that and more casual/less graphics intensive games.

That, and uh, Star Craft 2 in July.

Was playing Portal today and when I'm riding the platform into the incinerator my fucking game locks up... Every time. I haven't had an issue with it at all until that moment. Windows 7 Ultimate x64, i7 920 @ 3.6gHz, 6Gb RAM, 2x 9800GTX+ 1GB. Recommended settings @ 1600x900 blah blah ya... so annoying. Graphics just stop and then draw maybe 1 frame every 10 seconds for like 3 frames than it just locks. Sound continues though.

what about that diablo clone is it any good?

gametrailers says yes

just bought Bob Came in Pieces petty nice but I expected more

Was playing Portal today and when I'm riding the platform into the incinerator my fucking game locks up... Every time. I haven't had an issue with it at all until that moment. Windows 7 Ultimate x64, i7 920 @ 3.6gHz, 6Gb RAM, 2x 9800GTX+ 1GB. Recommended settings @ 1600x900 blah blah ya... so annoying. Graphics just stop and then draw maybe 1 frame every 10 seconds for like 3 frames than it just locks. Sound continues though.

right click on Portal in Steam, then goto Properties, then goto the Local Files tab and click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

that should fix it.

Guest ruiagnelo

I just bought the LucasArts adventure pack *cums stupid hard*

Paulie! Where's my scarole?!

right click on Portal in Steam, then goto Properties, then goto the Local Files tab and click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

that should fix it.

I shall try this after I take my final exam of the semester! Thank you sir

if I get a friend to download it then copy it off him will it still work or me? (I don't have a big enough download limit)

if you grab their cache file, yeah that'd work. you'd still have to make sure that you "buy" it first though through Steam.

if I get a friend to download it then copy it off him will it still work or me? (I don't have a big enough download limit)

if you grab their cache file, yeah that'd work. you'd still have to make sure that you "buy" it first though through Steam.

thanks, I'll give that a go

just in case you're not sure where the cache files are, they're located in

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps

of course, replace "C:\Program Files" with whatever your install directory is. the files you need should just be

Base source engine 2.gcf
Portal content.gcf
Portal english.gcf

of course, replace "C:\Program Files" with whatever your install directory is. the files you need should just be

Base source engine 2.gcf
Portal content.gcf
Portal english.gcf

I'm a Mac

Base source engine 2.gcf
Portal content.gcf
Portal english.gcf

I'm a Mac

file structure should be somewhat similar, it'll probably be /Applications/Steam/steamapps, although it could end up being in your ~/Library/Application Data folder.

the files you'll need will still be the same though, so you could even copy the files from someones Windows installation

Guest Coalbucket PI

heard about Portal for the first time yesterday, completed it by the end of the day. It was fucking good though! Think they've probably just sold themselves a copy of Portal 2

Edit: it is a little bit glitchy though, feels like I'm playing a cracked version

aye i've bought the orangey boxy thing a year ago or so.. nice to have it again on the mac. though some of the graphics effects don't translate into OpenGL it seems? like the motion blur?

Edit: it is a little bit glitchy though, feels like I'm playing a cracked version

running on a Mac or PC?

there are known issues with the Mac version at the moment, there is nothing wrong with the PC version.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Mac!

It works fine but it tends to tell me it quit unexpectedly when it hasn't, and a few jerky in-game errors that didn't matter much

Archived