IGNORED

I don't care for Lost.

Guest Spittal

Guest Spittal

I watched my first episode a couple weeks ago... and I was all like... "This is strangely like any sci-fi drama ever"

My friend really wanted me to watch this episode and afterwards I told her about how the storyline pretty much followed EXACTLY what happened in one of the episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation". I don't know any names of characters on Lost but there's this one bald dude who apparently knows everything and he manipulates people to stuff for him and shit, and I was like "man, this character is an awful lot like that character Q"...

I'm not gonna go listing off how unoriginal Lost may or may not be (keep in mind I've only seen one episode). I'm just curious how a show like this could be soo popular among the hipster demographic when a show like Star Trek, or Star Gate, or Battle Star never could be. Even though when you strip them down, they are the exact same...

oh and P.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbLbbNVRmtY

Guest disparaissant

it's not a show you can judge on just one episode, and really to get "into" it, you have to watch it from the beginning. i can admit it's not very original (and often times not even very good) but at some point i just got sucked in entirely. it's like an addiction, in a way.

Guest Enter a new display name

Yeah this is the kind of show you feel constantly psyched for the next episode, then the hype is postponed for maybe 2 or 3 seasons until you realize nothing really happens.

I stopped watching in the second season or very early in the third season, because it seemed like the writers had no idea what they were doing, and any "answers" just seemed like a retcon to wedge in the next round of "mysteries."

The first season was pretty fun, legitimately, and it felt like there could actually be someone steering the ship at that point.

That said, I still check in with the Lost thread to see if any of the story lines are resolving in any reasonably coherent manner-- I'd really love to have it all come together brilliantly at the end, but I can't imagine that happening at this point. If it does, I'd netflix the series.

Also, if the writers weren't continually stringing people along with the promise that all will be revealed (didn't the show runner say everything would be explained by "science" originally? lawl) it wouldn't matter. I mean, I can swallow six seasons of Lynchian dream logic (I'd do it happily), but Lost seems cynically designed to draw people in with the promise of revelation (which increasingly looked like it was just going to be very kludgy at best) for six seasons; that is, to make money from six ad-supported seasons.

I've never seen a single episode of Lost. But I know from other shows I watch that one episode is rarely enough to make a proper judgment.

And it can be very easy to get sucked into shows even if they suck. I mean look at all the shit that's popular out there.

Guest Sprigg

I watched the first three seasons, then started working the same day Lost was on, and now i'm too lazy to catch up on three seasons of it.

I'm just curious how a show like this could be soo popular among the hipster demographic when a show like Star Trek, or Star Gate, or Battle Star never could be.

1. "...how a show like this could be soo popular among the hipster demographic..."

You are an idiot.

2. "...when a show like Star Trek, or Star Gate, or Battle Star never could be."

I know that Lost veered into the direction of science fiction, but you're comparing it to outer space television shows (for a lack of better description). Are you serious?

Guest theSun

i like the people who get pissed because they don't explain how everything works in the first season. what's the use of watching an action/drama/mystery show if you know how everything works and what's going to happen? i think they've done a great job writing the show so that it goes in unpredictable directions (like the ae discography).

it has its cheese moments (like the ae discography), but in the context of the show it would be dull without the humor. you can't expect lost to be the endall of tv shows because it's not. it's just an extremely complex story that keeps expanding, hinting that it will be things that it is not, but leaving the main questions open to interpretation.

in my mind, lost is more about how humans draw conclusions based on the information they have access to, which is totally subjective and can lead to many different ideas of the truth. people are quick to define good and evil, but i don't think lost will make it a good vs evil thing. they hint at it with the black vs white symbolism, but i don't think it's that simple.(we'll see)

ps - i didn't see last nights epi

Guest theSun

pps - have you guys heard that the same story telling devices are often recycled not just through one generation of entertainment mediums, but many generations? also, these devices can appear in unique ways even if they use the same general principles?

ppps - you're the hipster

I got "into" it for the 1st season. But when nothing was answered at the end I said fuck it and stopped watching. It just seemed like they were making it up as they go along with no planned ending.

If it turns out that it actually does have a sweet ending, I'll watch the whole thing through.

I really think anything with a continues plot line should only be 1 season, 2 max.

i like the people who get pissed because they don't explain how everything works in the first season. what's the use of watching an action/drama/mystery show if you know how everything works and what's going to happen? i think they've done a great job writing the show so that it goes in unpredictable directions (like the ae discography).

it has its cheese moments (like the ae discography), but in the context of the show it would be dull without the humor. you can't expect lost to be the endall of tv shows because it's not. it's just an extremely complex story that keeps expanding, hinting that it will be things that it is not, but leaving the main questions open to interpretation.

in my mind, lost is more about how humans draw conclusions based on the information they have access to, which is totally subjective and can lead to many different ideas of the truth. people are quick to define good and evil, but i don't think lost will make it a good vs evil thing. they hint at it with the black vs white symbolism, but i don't think it's that simple.(we'll see)

If that was in any way a response to my post, let me just say I was never "pissed," I just didn't feel like it was engaging/good enough to eat up an hour of my time a week. If it was more abstract/subtle/complex I probably would have been more engaged, tbh.

Guest disparaissant

I really think anything with a continues plot line should only be 1 season, 2 max.

gonna have to disagree with that, it takes a lot of shows more than 1 or 2 seasons to really get going in a decent way. actors gotta find characters and all that.

gonna have to disagree with that, it takes a lot of shows more than 1 or 2 seasons to really get going in a decent way. actors gotta find characters and all that.

Band of Brothers.

Guest mafted

i started with the first season and stopped once the 300th plot line came about. i could handle it up until about 299. once you realize they're basically writing it as they go.. the allure KIND OF goes away.

Guest theSun

If that was in any way a response to my post, let me just say I was never "pissed," I just didn't feel like it was engaging/good enough to eat up an hour of my time a week. If it was more abstract/subtle/complex I probably would have been more engaged, tbh.

not to you specifically, but everyone knows of the people who are like LOSTLOLOLHIPSTERFAGGOTS. part of the fun of the show is that they make you think they're going a certain direction, then shit totally changes but the old parts of the story still fit and help explain lost "reality" in the new context.

again, why would you want all the questions answered after 1 season? especially since at the end of the first season you still think it's like gilligans island.

Guest theSun

q is sort of like jacob. extremely powerful within the context of the island/space, though complicated and quite childish. q just likes to fuck with human noobs, while jacob is trying to save the world though. or is he?????

I watched Lost until about halfway through season 3. Then it just turned to complete shit... I stopped caring, and it seemed like they were just making it up as they go along. Yes I know that supposedly the whole story arc was pre-planned, but whatever.. I just couldn't stand it anymore, so I quit watching.

All I have to say is that there has never been a TV show with so many rabid fans that can't wait for it to end :emotawesomepm9:

not to you specifically, but everyone knows of the people who are like LOSTLOLOLHIPSTERFAGGOTS. part of the fun of the show is that they make you think they're going a certain direction, then shit totally changes but the old parts of the story still fit and help explain lost "reality" in the new context.

again, why would you want all the questions answered after 1 season? especially since at the end of the first season you still think it's like gilligans island.

Eh, I don't begrudge anyone for liking Lost, people seem to have a lot of fun watching/thinking about it, and at least that's something. It is a little annoying seeing some of the fan wank fill up my facebook feed, but then again, it's annoying having a facebook feed.

I didn't really want all answers revealed early on or anything, I just had hoped that if the answers were going to be so drummed up, they'd be more internally consistent with what came before. But no big whoop, it's TV.

I think Lost would have been more fun if it had been more Prisoner/Twin Peaks-style surreal with less focus on "answers," and I have a hunch JJ might have felt that way initially, but that isn't really sustainable on network TV, so the show was reshaped a bit to focus on big reveals, to its detriment. Sort of like how BSG kind of devolved into "who are teh final five?" and "what is Starbuck?," and the end result was a bit kludgey.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I stopped watching in the second season or very early in the third season, because it seemed like the writers had no idea what they were doing, and any "answers" just seemed like a retcon to wedge in the next round of "mysteries."

The first season was pretty fun, legitimately, and it felt like there could actually be someone steering the ship at that point.

That said, I still check in with the Lost thread to see if any of the story lines are resolving in any reasonably coherent manner-- I'd really love to have it all come together brilliantly at the end, but I can't imagine that happening at this point. If it does, I'd netflix the series.

Also, if the writers weren't continually stringing people along with the promise that all will be revealed (didn't the show runner say everything would be explained by "science" originally? lawl) it wouldn't matter. I mean, I can swallow six seasons of Lynchian dream logic (I'd do it happily), but Lost seems cynically designed to draw people in with the promise of revelation (which increasingly looked like it was just going to be very kludgy at best) for six seasons; that is, to make money from six ad-supported seasons.

I watched up til the end of season 2 and then I was sure they were making it up with no idea where they were going... it was entertaining enough but when I know it's going to get dragged out for as long as possible and get nowhere I lost all interest. Besides, by season 2 they were already doing episodes that were so obviously filler it was infuriating.

I think I read somewhere around the time I gave up on Lost that the writers of 24 started filming the series having only written the story 2-3 episodes ahead... if they were doing that I'm damn sure the Lost writer's are too.

Archived