IGNORED

The Hobbit loses Guillermo Del Toro

Rubin Farr

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait for this film, i hope the dodgey Narnia animal CGI will be improved for the final movie. The original trailers for King Kong made King Kong himself look kinda shit, but in the end he looked really solid ( i thought)

one thing i just found out that makes me a little bummed out about the Hobbit is no bigatures this time around. Something about not being able to film them in 3d to match them up with the live action scenes. Oh well, from the trailer it looks alright but now at 2nd glance i can definitely tell we're seeing a much more CGI-ified landscape, especially in the shots of Rivendale. To me the bigatures in the LOTR trilogy is part of what makes it so breathtakingly beautiful. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. King Kong had some great bigature work as well

Haven't been this excited for some jaw dropping visuals in awhile. I suspect this will be the best 3D film (if @ 48fps) yet.

I feel like I'll have to see it in 3D/48fps, just because it was shot in that format. I usually prefer to skip 3D presentation, unless it is a horror movie.

I'm still suspicious as to how 48fps projection will look. I'm a die-hard film nerd and something in my gut tells me it won't feel as "filmic" as good ol' 24 fps.

I guess we'll see, won't we?

guess the camera rigs are too large. that is a bummer, but I suspect the CG will look more impressive at 48fps as well because for me one of the bigger issues with CG currently is how it blurs and composites with the surrounding real elements and with its own elements. with everything at a higher frame rate the motion blur will more naturally impact around/surrounding where you focus, providing a more fluid and constantly detailed rendering that has depth and details depending. basically its more precise and relies less on artificial blurring. more akin to real life

Home.PNG

maybe it's not that big of a difference, but

rivendell-and-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-gallery.jpg

couldn't find a bigger picture unfortunately

to me it just looks slightly less realistic and more of a Pixar cartoon, i hope i'm wrong in the end though

guess the camera rigs are too large. that is a bummer, but I suspect the CG will look more impressive at 48fps as well because for me one of the bigger issues with CG currently is how it blurs and composites with the surrounding real elements and with its own elements. with everything at a higher frame rate the motion blur will more naturally impact around/surrounding where you focus, providing a more fluid and constantly detailed rendering that has depth and details depending. basically its more precise and relies less on artificial blurring. more akin to real life

That makes sense, but higher playback frame-rates usually end up looking "video-y". I think all of this was discussed in this thread at some point. I'm not about to look it all up.

at least we'll just some score work that is actually halfway decent and memorable. One of the thing that bothers me about modern hollywood movies is the scores are so fucking mundane. There are a few exceptions though, the score to Dark Knight Rises, a handful of modern Elfman scores like his score for the Errol Morris doc Standard Operating Procedure and Speilberg's Tin Tin film. Inception was alright too but beyond those i have little to no memory of anything that's stuck with me after watching a new movie.

That makes sense, but higher playback frame-rates usually end up looking "video-y". I think all of this was discussed in this thread at some point. I'm not about to look it all up.

My suspicion is that it looks videoy in 2D but in 3D it looks realer... just as 24fps frame rate in 3D looks stuttery (when elements are moving faster/panning shots). The higher level of detail at 48 in 2D is bringing more attention to the fact that you are looking at something on a plane. 24fps provides a natural blur/softness to motion that resembles real life. 48 in 3D is closer to reality (has natural blur). Natural 24fps blur/softness is over the top in 3D basically and makes a more blurry image that causes headaches.

Cameron is shooting Avatar 2 at 60 fps.

Archived