IGNORED

Why is this happening?

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest ruiagnelo

So after some time using itunes i discovered there is a cover art view, which is definitely my favorite and the one i am using now, but there is this annoying problem, because itunes separates compilation tracks, as i have observed, by artist like this:

wtfproblemitunes.jpg

(it was supposed to be a compilation of carl craig's remixes, which obviously contains plenty of tracks having the same album tag and different artist tags. However itunes just ignores it and takes it as separate tracks)

Instead of having the entire compilation display, with all the different artists and respective tracks in the same page when i double click the cover, like for instance, a normal one artist only album:

Untitled-1-1.jpg

I get this:

Untitled-2.jpg

Is there a way of getting this right without having to modify all the compilations tags? Or is it even possible with the tags?

Guest ruiagnelo

144726-itunes-compilations-menu-386_original.jpg

that should solve the issue

One more thing: when i perform changes as these, am i modifying the tracks as files (tags) or simply as itunes library objects? If you get my point...

Guest Sprigg

I usually do that for comps anyway... I hate having 6,000 artists that I only listen to cuz they're on the compilation clogging up my mp3 player.

Guest carthief

You could also try changing the "album artist" name

Yes, if the first suggestion doesn't work, I rename album artists and individual artists to reflect a common theme, thereby keeping the album organized as one. For example, the Hyperdub "5" compilation I have the album artists and each track with the artist being "Various Artists - Hyperdub." I then, for each track, add the actual artist's name to the beginning or the end of the trackname: Various Artists - Hyperdub - Burial - Fostercare.

I'm pretty anal about keeping music organized, but I can see how my method would annoy people with similar organizational needs but who are unwilling to modify the track information so drastically for the sake of keeping a compilation as one. I couldn't manage to find another way though.

144726-itunes-compilations-menu-386_original.jpg

that should solve the issue

One more thing: when i perform changes as these, am i modifying the tracks as files (tags) or simply as itunes library objects? If you get my point...

you are modifying the tracks as files. anything you do to a song in itunes gets linked to the actual file.

put your music in a folder, browse said folder and click on the track you want to play :flower:

and also dont use ipods unless its a 1st gen shuffle

Guest Rambo

woah look at Chico Buarque, he is the dude. I imagine him in a outdoor pool doing leisurely breast stroke and winking at children (no pedo)

Guest ruiagnelo

woah look at Chico Buarque, he is the dude. I imagine him in a outdoor pool doing leisurely breast stroke and winking at children (no pedo)

if he wasn't a successful brazilian musician and i had the chance to look at his face i would def see him as a pedophile

stop using itramps

Alternative suggestions for Mac users?

VLC_icon.png

vlc has build in last.fm support and plays all formats. but no cover artwork and no sync to idevices. so no replacement. I wish they would port mp3toys to OS X as it is superior to itunes for decades but sadly it will stay windows exclusive:

mp3toys-62598-1.jpeg

That's a crazy busy interface - what the hell is going on in there?

the cover artwork at the bottom can be managed via a very fast search engine that also breaks its results into artist clouds. right and left you have playlists you can drag and drop from the small playlist bar at the very right. the big artwork is the track currently playing. looks complicated but works much better than itunes in reality. also it downloads cover art from google by its self.

this is an earlier version screenshot that makes a bit more sense if you are not familiar with it:

marv2.png

I bought it when I was running windows and its the only tool I kind of miss on os x

edit: one of the big features is to play your local playlist randomly in sync with your last.fm profile habits. they had this feature working perfectly years before itunes was even talking about the shitty genius feature that does only work for crappy mainstream artists

Oh. I guess whatever works. I don't use the genius feature, or last.fm. 99% of the time, I just choose an album and play it. So the iTunes works just fine for me.

And since I use one of the evil iPods, the sync is nice.

Sorry for the derailment.

Oh. I guess whatever works. I don't use the genius feature, or last.fm. 99% of the time, I just choose an album and play it. So the iTunes works just fine for me.

And since I use one of the evil iPods, the sync is nice.

Sorry for the derailment.

Itunes is not bad I use it most of the time on os x too but its just some collective rip off from many other programs. even cover flow was bought

Archived