IGNORED

dvorak keyboard layout

kokoon

Guest Helper ET

everyone is a brainwashed indoctrinated slave

i care not of the history behind this obscure keyboard style, nor am i interested in participating with childish games that will surely arise from discussion of this waste of time

if anything, design a keyboard that has some kind of logic behind it. like how about having the most typed letters and words used on the top line, or in some kind of linear fashion. fuck, ill make my own god damn keyboard design in 20 minutes and type faster than i ever had on this qwerty excuse of a device. wow, buttons, im really impressed. fuck you bill gates. kill bill gates

everyone is a brainwashed indoctrinated slave

i care not of the history behind this obscure keyboard style, nor am i interested in participating with childish games that will surely arise from discussion of this waste of time

if anything, design a keyboard that has some kind of logic behind it. like how about having the most typed letters and words used on the top line, or in some kind of linear fashion. fuck, ill make my own god damn keyboard design in 20 minutes and type faster than i ever had on this qwerty excuse of a device. wow, buttons, im really impressed. fuck you bill gates. kill bill gates

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

Dvorak layout uses less finger motion, increases typing rate, and reduces errors compared to the de facto keyboard standard QWERTY.

History of QWERTY

In early typewriters neighboring typebars had a great deal of overlap in their paths, making jams common when keys were struck rapidly in succession; avoiding this was the basis of the QWERTY layout.

The history of the keyboard layout starts with the advent of typewriters. Christopher Sholes invented the first typewriter capable of being mass-produced (before Sholes, 51 inventors received patents for their various typewriters, but none were suitable for mass production).[14] Sholes began building his typewriter in 1867, starting with an alphabetical order layout. However, Sholes’s typewriter jammed when a typist struck two adjacent keys in succession too quickly, causing the second type bar to jam the first type bar before it could fall back into place. Exacerbating the problem, the type bars struck the rear side of the paper thus making the jamming imperceptible to the typist until the paper was pulled out.

Sholes thus focused his efforts on stopping jams, rearranging the keys to this end. According to legend, he did this to deliberately slow down the typist; however, this claim has been disputed.[15][16] Sholes commissioned a study to determine the most common letters and letter combinations used in the English language. Sholes then used the results of the study to scatter the common letters and combinations across the keyboard.

When Sholes sold his typewriter design to the Remington company, Remington engineers made an additional change to the layout by transferring the letter “R” to the upper row so their typewriter salesmen could quickly type the word “typewriter” to potential clients by locating all of the necessary letters in the upper row.”[12]

QWERTY vied for dominance amongst a variety of competing formats over a period of years, eventually becoming the standard as both Remington and its chief rival, Underwood, became leaders in typewriters sales using the QWERTY format.[12][16]

History of the Dvorak Layout

Dr. August Dvorak was an educational psychologist and professor of education at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington[17]. Dr. Dvorak became interested in the keyboard layout while serving as an advisor to Gertrude Ford, who was writing her master’s thesis on typing errors. Touch typing had come into wide use by that time, so when Dr. Dvorak studied the QWERTY layout he concluded that the QWERTY layout needed to be replaced. Dr. Dvorak was joined by his brother-in-law Dr. William Dealey, who was a professor of education at the then North Texas State Teacher's College in Denton, Texas.

Dvorak and Dealey’s objective was to scientifically design a keyboard to decrease typing errors, speed up typing, and lessen typer fatigue. They engaged in extensive research while designing their keyboard layout. In 1914 and 1915, Dr. Dealey attended seminars on the science of motion and later reviewed slow-motion films of typists with Dr. Dvorak. Dvorak and Dealey meticulously studied the English language, researching the most used letters and letter combinations. They also studied the physiology of the hand. The result in 1932 was the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard.[18]

In 1933, Dr. Dvorak started entering typists trained on his keyboard into the International Commercial Schools Contest, which were typing contests sponsored by typewriter manufacturers consisting of professional and amateur contests. The professional contests had typists sponsored by typewriter companies to advertise their machines. Ten times between 1934–41, Dvorak’s typists won first in their class events. In the 1935 contest alone nine Dvorak typists won an astounding twenty awards. Dvorak typists were so successful that in 1937 the Contest Committee barred Dvorak’s typists for being “unfair competition” until Dr. Dvorak protested. In addition, QWERTY typists did not want to be placed near Dvorak typists because QWERTY typists were disconcerted by the noise produced from the fast typing speeds made by Dvorak typists.[19]

In the 1930s, The Tacoma, Washington school district ran an experimental program in typing to determine whether to hold Dvorak layout classes. The experiment used 2,700 students to learn the Dvorak layout and the district found that the Dvorak layout students learned the keyboard in one-third of the time it took to learn QWERTY. However, a new school board was elected and chose to close the Dvorak layout classes.[19]

Writer Barbara Blackburn was the fastest English language typist in the world, according to The Guinness Book of World Records. Using the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard, she has maintained 150 words per minute (wpm) for 50 minutes, and 170 wpm for shorter periods. She has been clocked at a peak speed of 212 wpm. Blackburn, who failed her QWERTY typing class in high school, first encountered the Dvorak keyboard in 1938, quickly learned to achieve very high speeds, and occasionally toured giving speed-typing demonstrations during her secretarial career. Blackburn died in April 2008.[20]

Exactly, the whole point of the dvorak keyboard is to put the most commonly used letters in English on the home row.

I've always wanted to try it, but after becoming quite proficient with QWERTY after 20 or so years of everyday use, it's hard to think about starting over. My fingers think in qwerty at this point.

I've always wanted to try it, but after becoming quite proficient with QWERTY after 20 or so years of everyday use, it's hard to think about starting over. My fingers think in qwerty at this point.

that's exactly my case as well, that's why i want to try it.

i can't wait to find out how easy/difficult it is to switch between the two. proper mindfuck!

Dvorak and Dealey meticulously studied the English language

i'll keep my AZERTY keyboard then

yeah, a valid point, but after some consideration i found out i definitely type more english than any other language.

Guest Helper ET

my point was that everyone just sucks dicks everywhere they go. oh my god, another concept for a computer keyboard exists...my god lets masturbate to the picture of it on my computer screen, save the image to desktop, then send the image to my own self via upload image inside of gmail and then ill cum so stupid hard joyrex will have an orgasm. hey lets just stick a bunch of y's, o's, u's, s's u's c's, and k's in there, so you can sit alone in your tiny little bedroom and feel alone, while i eventually crawl off my 4 multi-cultures 5-star models to reach over onto the laptop to tell you how much you suck.

that's exactly my case as well, that's why i want to try it.

i can't wait to find out how easy/difficult it is to switch between the two. proper mindfuck!

A friend of mine is really good at it and does it on a qwerty keyboard. Which always annoys the bejeezus out of anyone who sits down on his computer. You'll probably wind up ambidextrous in a couple years if you can switch between multiple keyboard layouts :emotawesomepm9:

Guest Helper ET

ok there arent 5 top models crawling on top of me right now (only three), but guess whats in you! besides arsenic, lead, fluoride, aluminum, chlorine, barium, msg, corn syrup with mercury in it, and everything is genetically modified

have fun dying

"pm me if you want to live"

p.s. - im the real deal (wink)

Guest Helper ET

A friend of mine is really good at it and does it on a qwerty keyboard. Which always annoys the bejeezus out of anyone who sits down on his computer. You'll probably wind up ambidextrous in a couple years if you can switch between multiple keyboard layouts :emotawesomepm9:

how do you use a qwerty keyboard on a "dvorak" keyboard exactly? i mean, if your not living inside of some kind of dream world, this doesnt even make any sense. yesterday, i was inside of a super 8 motel, they kicked me out by 10 pm but i was cool because i was out by 9:30 yo, there for i have now become I Free Am

multiple keyboard settings come pretty much standard with most os's on the market these days..

believe it or not I can type in japanese on my keyboard too このようです

if anything, design a keyboard that has some kind of logic behind it. like how about having the most typed letters and words ......

That's the entire fucking point behind the dvorak layout. genius.

ET, wanna grab a beer? you seem tense...

beer has arsenic, lead, fluoride, aluminum, chlorine, barium, msg, and corn syrup with mercury in it, you indoctrinated fool!

Archived