IGNORED

when your vinyl crackles

YEK

Guest cult fiction

Depends how old the vinyl is. I always find it distressing when a newish record starts to crackle. It's like a sad little reminder that everything in life is transient.

agreed

my problem is some of my records are scratched more than others becuase before i owned my 1200's i was just using some dinosaur turntable from the 70's.....

i don't really mind the crackle i guess

Depends how old the vinyl is. I always find it distressing when a newish record starts to crackle. It's like a sad little reminder that everything in life is transient.

or much rather that it was a shit pressing :-/

Guest ansgaria

It wouldn't be the same if vinyl sounded exactly like CD now would it.

As already mentioned, it depends on the level of crackiness. A little bit doesn't concern me, and there's a fair deal of it on some of the used vinyls I buy. It's too much when the noise is actually persistent and takes over the music. I bought a used copy of Zappa's Overnite Sensaiton and the first side is almost completely ruined by noise, such a damn shame.

Pretty much already said, but it depends how bad it is. If it "adds" to the whole "Yay I'm listening to vinyl woop woop" experience then I'm ok with it, if it's "Hey there, I'm vinyl, I like to ruin all your favourite tracks" then I'm totally let down.

If I'm sampling something, I like it- adds character and a nice texture.

For listening, a little is fine too, as long as it's not a recurring pop or something caused by a huge scratch.

mostly nailed it right there.

Crackles can be infuriating, but not as much as when vinyl jumps or sticks.

have you listened to the sample i posted? the entire fucking album is like that, it's definitely just as infuriating. i'm gonna have to try and source another copy from somewhere

have you listened to the sample i posted? the entire fucking album is like that, it's definitely just as infuriating. i'm gonna have to try and source another copy from somewhere

i remember my copy being a bit noisy too. it's probably not just you.

Oi, if JB could've done something about that atrocious kick pedal squeaking--literally "The Biggest Band In The World" and your pedal's squeaking? :facepalm:

nothin' wrong with a bit of pedal squeak!

Guest ansgaria

my copy of spirit of eden by talk talk is noisy as fuck, kinda sucks because the album is so quiet in parts.

Some of the beauty of it is that it never really goes completely quiet, it always has a tiny bit of natural ambience, I really like that. I've inherited my dad's UK pressing of the CD and the first three tracks are put together as one, and for some reason, at the end of it, it has 30 seconds of complete silence - now THAT's annoying.

I remember you posting about that a while ago. Nothing destroys your enjoyment of a record more. Years ago I got 'Hyaena' by The Banshees on vinyl, and the record was virtually inaudible (some might say not a bad thing) because of the surface noise in places. Bought it from Chester as well, so couldn't get back for ages to change the fucker.

my copy of spirit of eden by talk talk is noisy as fuck, kinda sucks because the album is so quiet in parts.

Some of the beauty of it is that it never really goes completely quiet, it always has a tiny bit of natural ambience, I really like that. I've inherited my dad's UK pressing of the CD and the first three tracks are put together as one, and for some reason, at the end of it, it has 30 seconds of complete silence - now THAT's annoying.

maybe the silence is to simulate flipping the record :lol:

also i have to say, after owning it for years on cd, getting the vinyl version was like :emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9: :wub::cry: in terms of dynamics, fucking amazing

Guest ansgaria

also i have to say, after owning it for years on cd, getting the vinyl version was like :emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9: :wub::cry: in terms of dynamics, fucking amazing

I own the three first Talk Talk records on vinyl, I need to hunt down Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock soon - to the 2nd hand shops.

I own the three first Talk Talk records on vinyl, I need to hunt down Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock soon - to the 2nd hand shops.

laughing stock goes for at least $100 on discogs, you'd be lucky to find it at a second hand store! i'm gonna snap up the first <$100 copy i can find, i think.

as for spirit of eden, i paid about $30AU for mine, and the quality isn't the best.. might buy another one on discogs and put mine on ebay soon.

and as for mark hollis' solo album, the only copy i've seen on ebay was listed at $400, eep.

Guest ansgaria

laughing stock goes for at least $100 on discogs, you'd be lucky to find it at a second hand store! i'm gonna snap up the first <$100 copy i can find, i think.

as for spirit of eden, i paid about $30AU for mine, and the quality isn't the best.. might buy another one on discogs and put mine on ebay soon.

and as for mark hollis' solo album, the only copy i've seen on ebay was listed at $400, eep.

Oh shit, it's rare then. I hope I can snatch it up at the messy second hand shop - I did found a first pressing vinyl copy of Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica which I got for a mere 200 DDK (=about $35). A mate of mine found a pretty rare Nirvana vinyl that goes for a shitload of cash on eBay and such, he got it for next to nothing.

I already got Hollis' solo record on CD, I'm not craving a vinyl copy at this time. I'll let you know if I find multiple copies, haha.

Actually, it can be quite remarkable how well a record can hold up.

Agreed.. secret to non-crackly vinyl that lasts.. a good cartridge, a couple drops of cleaning solution and a soft brush.

Guest Greg Reason

Like the first time I listened to the vinyl edition of The Fragile on a Technics with Shure White Label stylus - I nearly jumped for joy! Years of listening to the shitty CD and thinking it was the greatest sounding album in history and the vinyl fucking slayed it!

Archived