IGNORED

If you're in college or university..

Dale

I don't understand why people are talking about teaching and PhDs? A PhD is a research degree, what does it have to do with teaching?

Teaching at university. Generally if you want to be considered for sessional postings, you need to at least be working on your doctorate. Usually post-doc though. Assistant professor or up you need to have a PhD.

Also going to university for classes like Computer Science or Architecture is silly in my opinion. Those are trades, do them at trade school.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

teaching at a university is like a fraction of a single percent of what you can do with a degree though.

and sorry if im wrong chengod, but do you have a single idea about wtf architecture is like? i personally dont, but i know that the course is seven years of hard work, and i dont know any achitects who didnt get to where they are by studying at a reputable university.

at the end of the day, ive just finished my first year studying concert piano at one of the best uni's in the country for it, and i know for a fact that if i continue to do well and get a good degree from the rsamd, its gonna rate me a fucking shiteload higher than any cunt in the entire country apart from ones who've studied in the london academies. i may not know anything about any other subjects but still.

teaching at a university is like a fraction of a single percent of what you can do with a degree though.

and sorry if im wrong chengod, but do you have a single idea about wtf architecture is like? i personally dont, but i know that the course is seven years of hard work, and i dont know any achitects who didnt get to where they are by studying at a reputable university.

I know quite a few architects, some of them went to uni, some of them went to trade school (college). 7 years? for a masters i guess.

Like I said, I don't why you'd get a PhD unless you were going to teach at a uni (and I've had more than a few PhDs tell me that themselves). A doctorate of course is not just a degree.

who knows then. the only people i know with doctorates are my dads mates, who are all into quantum physics and equations and pure shit i dont really care about. a Phd in music is actually almost on the brink of impossible due to the need for an exploration into something that hasnt actually been proven yet so im not even gonna think about it.

ive had a really fucking good e tonight

I know quite a few architects, some of them went to uni, some of them went to trade school (college). 7 years? for a masters i guess.

Like I said, I don't why you'd get a PhD unless you were going to teach at a uni (and I've had more than a few PhDs tell me that themselves). A doctorate of course is not just a degree.

A PhD is a research degree, people generally do a PhD so they can undertake research at a uni. Once you have a PhD then it's easier to get more research funding to set up a whole programme of research and to carve a career out of it. I teach and research at a uni and haven't got a PhD yet, I'd ideally need a PhD to progress as a researcher, but it isn't a prerequisite. Often a PhD is an easy way to show that you have a certain set of skills. However with suitable experience and a track record you can show off those skills and expertise too.

There is a subtle difference between those on the teaching scale (Lecturers) and those on the research scale (Research Fellows). We tend to require a PhD or equivalent experienced if you want to be a Senior Lecturer.

I'm sure that in the UK it's a little bit different, but here in Canada it would be quite rare to be a full lecturer or sessional without at least being a doctoral candidate. At least all the applications I've seen come through the offices (Departments of Anthropology/Sociology) where i work have that as a minimum.

Bear in mind too I'm thinking mainly of the faculty of arts, not science/engineering.

Also I'm sure there are some cultural differences in how you lot do things back in the halls of Oxford.

I'm sure that in the UK it's a little bit different, but here in Canada it would be quite rare to be a full lecturer or sessional without at least being a doctoral candidate. At least all the applications I've seen come through the offices (Departments of Anthropology/Sociology) where i work have that as a minimum.

Bear in mind too I'm thinking mainly of the faculty of arts, not science/engineering.

Also I'm sure there are some cultural differences in how you lot do things back in the halls of Oxford.

Yeah, you can't be an architect here without the paperwork from uni which takes 7 years to get.

You can be a chartered architect but they don't earn as much and don't tend to get to work on massive 'city-scale projects'.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I'm not sure if I follow you because there is a word missing in there somewhere, I think... but i'm guessing youre talking about arts subjects or something? I'm about to do a PhD in biochemistry and I'm not going to teach or work at a university afterwards.

I don't "see" why you 'd get a PhD....

Is a PhD really necessary for what you want to do? If you're going into private industry surely it's better to get in now and work the job market with experience?

Archived