IGNORED

If you're in college or university..

Dale

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, I've thought about that a lot. It's sad that we can't do anything without money and can't get money with out a job.

I wish I could just inherit a shitload, or never sleep to make up for lost time.

Also, she's dissing America's Puclic School system. Are other country's public school systems really that different?

Guest Coalbucket PI

Yes, most of it. I suppose she has a point but if it was a particularly far-reaching one I might have missed it. School systems mean learning is often focused more on tests and grades than learning as much as possible.

Frankly if you don't think youre learning enough from school you are welcome to either leave or put in more work.

It's only your own fault when you come out of an experience with nothing to show for it.

edit: also leave it to the valedictorian to realize that toiling over grades and tests the whole time is mostly worthless

my particular discipline doesnt apply to this atall.

remember to just look out for yourself

Frankly if you don't think youre learning enough from school you are welcome to either leave or put in more work.

It's only your own fault when you come out of an experience with nothing to show for it.

edit: also leave it to the valedictorian to realize that toiling over grades and tests the whole time is mostly worthless

good comments - what are your solutions to a worthless education system?

Guest happycase

my particular discipline doesnt apply to this atall.

remember to just look out for yourself

good comments - what are your solutions to a worthless education system?

Worthless? I didn't learn much or get anything out of school, so I left, but that's because I really didn't care for most of what they wanted to make me do, and didn't have any alternative self-motivation. I think if I went back now I'd enjoy it for about a year. I think you can really make a lot of an expensive education. But yeah, mostly it's worthless.

I don't think the normal system works for me, it doesn't stimulate actual learning. It only pressures itself on you and sets arbitrary time limits and curriculum's that you don't need. Seeing as I work at a university I know that it is in fact just another corporation, a money making machine. Everything is streamlined and optimized for making a profit - this is something I believe every scientist/researcher can agree and testify to. Perhaps after grinding through countless years of studying you'll finish your doctorate thesis and if you're really lucky you'll get to spend every other semester doing actual research, the rest of the time you'll be lecturing upcoming students - repeating the same things you spent your whole life memorizing. No thanks.

Guest happycase

I guess I was interested in even more [edit] details [/edit], if you care to share.

I dropped out about 9 months ago and have been living in monasteries and meditation centers. Not really that into it anymore. It's more for maintenance of the vehicle I'm driving than for the transportation itself. I'm really interested in people and psychology, so I enjoy talking to some close friends about what's happening in the moment, why I make certain gestures, nod my head, make certain remarks, whatever. There are some of the oddest motivations and assumptions we carry around with us, so discovering those is really energizing and exciting for me. Also just whatever is interesting at the time. Using my imagination, reading on different psychologists and theories, talking to people about whatever we can both find interesting and stimulating. I feel like my 2 1/2 years at college were just sucking the life out of me, and now I feel pretty refreshed and energized by life. I find myself more deeply attracted to and actively pursuing things, whether they're relationships, books, situations, that i'll learn from.

Exactly. Learning something is actually fun and rewarding. Schools have a tendency to kill that aspect of it and instead make it into a job, a chore. Perhaps if someone is lucky, they'll find an education that fits them spot on and they'll enjoy it. I've tried many different studies without finding one that felt right. So I'd rather work and spend my spare time learning whatever I want, however I want, how fast I want - in any field.

Guest happycase

And "to learn" for me means becoming a more Whole person, which includes but isn't limited by any means to accumulating information from books, circumstances, whatever. I actually find it much more useful to let go of as much information as possible and just marvel at things. Insights come naturally that way. I'm pretty sure we (human beings, as a species, as a creature) are naturally creative and inquisitive enough about the world that if we stop trying to parrot the people we esteem, and just stay as open as possible, we come to a much more organic, natural, and fruitful understanding of life.

what the fuck. "I have no idea what I want to do with my life. So i'm going to blame it on others." Instead of just saying the system is fucked, work to change it.

yeah, high school is useless. So after high school go out and work for a few years, then go back to uni as a mature student.

Her little tidbit about critical thinking was pretty funny...seeing as she didn't exhibit much.

Impakt - If you're not going to teach at university, why the fuck would you get a Ph.D? I'm sorry that you work at a shitty university...that's not how it's supposed to be.

Impakt - If you're not going to teach at university, why the fuck would you get a Ph.D? I'm sorry that you work at a shitty university...that's not how it's supposed to be.

Well, I'm obviously not getting one. But for those who are, a doctorate is usually needed to work as a research scientist in Norway at least.

Archived