IGNORED

Speaking in Code

Guest chax

At first glance, Speaking in Code would appear to be just another documentary about electronic music. But one viewing reveals a series of character studies and vérité views of a musical genre, with an intimacy not seen since Don't Look Back took us inside of Dylan's folk music or The Decline of Western Civilization showed us the LA punk scene.

Director Amy Grill follows a series of characters (including her techno-obsessed husband) over a number of years as some struggle to make it while others thrive in the world of electronic music. It's a window into a world filled with warehouse parties, endless gigs, international travel, risks, inventions, triumphs and breakdowns. The characters of Speaking in Code go through significant life changes that are as heartbreaking as they are sometimes humorous. These raw, honest moments unveil the idiosyncrasies of people who make electronic music their lives.

As the stakes get higher, Speaking in Code sheds light on the vast divide between common anti-techno attitudes in America juxtaposed with the thriving world of electronic music in Europe. Eventually, the struggle and strain to make the film begins to weigh on the director herself and her husband, who becomes more of a character in the film than she expected. Through the camera's eye she watches David Day become completely submerged in the techno lifestyle while she becomes anxious to escape.

The characters she documents are as compelling as their storylines: Modeselektor, a rambunctious producer duo, are jettisoned from playing a tiny room in the US to playing to 20,000 people in Barcelona, all the while visiting their moms on a regular basis; journalist Philip Sherburne leaves America to find a more complete techno lifestyle in Europe; The Wighnomy Brothers are catapulted from their idyllic world in the former East Germany towards ceaseless gigs and they face their breaking point on camera; Tobias Thomas contemplates the near-end of his career; while Monolake, an inventor of the software that nearly all electronic musicians use to create music, continues his steady yet quirky approach to a life in music.

And back in the US, David Day tries tirelessly to turn Boston from a rock-centric town to a techno city. Day's wanton attempts to make electronic music popular put strain on his marriage to the Director. The intertwined struggles to make the film and Day's obsession become a crucial plotline the director could not ignore.

The result is a tightly-interwoven, compelling documentary that is at times light-hearted and at times heartbreaking. It's the story of a scene from the inside out-intimate, raw and vivid.

I watched this earlier and thought it was great, check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAJMnTzHCc8&feature=player_embedded

Just finished watching the whole thing and I must say I felt emotional for the chaps and what they were fighting for. Really draws out the inspiration from the production. Excellent doc!

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Looking for somewhere to download an AVI of this right now

yeh I'm having a pretty hard time finding it

• 4 months later...

I think Amy deserves a lot of praise because she has been the only one that has made a documentary worth watching on more levels that just the music.

HER VOICE :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

It took this years to make, yet her narration sounds like a half-assed NPR story read by an intern. Really annoying, especially since she made a great documentary: it's not overly-basic and educational (i.e. here's a brief history of techno...blah blah blah) nor too involved either. Loved all the German producers, but I also enjoyed the interviews with Philip Sherburne and Robert Henke as well. I've read the former's articles on techno for years and never seen him on camera. And Henke, that man is quite underappreciated... plus he looks kind of like a David Cross character...

I love when she snagged that totally Bostonian UPS guy.

"what do you think of techno"

"s'ahright.....ya know. Not my cuppa tea but whateva"

"what about the guys that work here?"

"deeze guys are ahright. Good people."

It doesn't work unless you could see this guy and here his accent. He sounds more English than he does American.

That part was hilarious!

watched this and i sort of vomited in my mouth a little."something so simple.......like loove"barf-o-rama.

That was a pretty cornball line, part of a rather moody interview in the movie...but I enjoyed that and the other interviews with the Germans. They tend to put things in a really odd but simple way.

Or they just go full-on efficiency mode...I love watching this after reading or watching a overly long and pretentious interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wUt1fIymB4

Guest analogue wings

Tried to watch this last night. Gave up despite not even having reached Ellen Allien segment.

My synopsis of the film:

Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Techno Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me

Archived