IGNORED

DJ Nate - Da Trak Genious

Guest Enter a new display name

this and the vhs head thread prove that the more replies a new & upcoming releases thread, the worse the release probably is and that i will never listen to it

VHS Head is great, so you're just an idiot.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest analogue wings

i'm suggesting you're being a bit of a luddy-duddy, sorry.

it's fun, hypnotic, intense, new. it's dumb and it fucking knows it and who cares. actually reveals hidden depths when you listen to the whole record (as i'm betting zero of the haters have). i paid for it and i like it.

all you cool kids who've heard something better in the same style like years ago mahn - post the links, i want to hear that too.

DJ Nate doesn't know where he is right now let alone if his music is dumb...

this and the vhs head thread prove that the more replies a new & upcoming releases thread, the worse the release probably is and that i will never listen to it

VHS Head is great, so you're just an idiot.

Guest analogue wings

punk:

HURR DURR THEY ONLY KNOW 3 CHORDS AND THEY CANT TUNE THEIR GUITARS

synths:

HURR DURR IT'S NOT EVEN A REAL INSTRUMENT

dub:

HURR DURR THEY'RE JUST TURNING SOME KNOBS

sequencers:

HURR DURR THEY'RE NOT EVEN PLAYING THEIR INSTRUMENTS

rap:

HURR DURR IT'S JUST SOME GUY TALKING OVER A DRUM MACHINE

house:

HURR DURR IT'S JUST GOES DOOF DOOF DOOF DOOF FOREVER

samples:

HURR DURR IT'S JUST STEALING

jungle:

HURR DURR IT'S JUST A BUNCH OF DRUM LOOPS AND REGGAE SAMPLES

juke:

HURR DURR IT'S JUST SOME KID QUANTIZING IN TRIPLETS IN FRUITYLOOPS

etc etc etc etc etc...

note: i realize you're trying to put it in a musically historic context, where old grandmas have said shit like that every time a new genre breaks old conventions/expectations, but i'm not sure it can be applied to every scenario, or it quickly just becomes a crutch. anyway, i think most of the negativity is coming from sites like boomkat etc. ultrahyping this release, when it's not really grabbing people as much as it's "grabbed" them. i think there's a space and venue for everything, and the fact that µ is releasing this shouldn't be a problem for anyone, but it's just that us old codgers that have followed the label for a long time have gotten our expectations shook up a bit these last few years.

Guest analogue wings

it pretty much sounds like what you'd expect 25 tracks of that to sound like, except for when it doesn't, which is when the magic happens. kind of a fundamental truth about minimalism really

Guest analogue wings

but it's just that us old codgers that have followed the label for a long time have gotten our expectations shook up a bit these last few years.

depends what your expectations are - IDM was cool back in the day in a large part because it was new, so i expect a decent IDM label to not just keep putting out records in a style from 1993, but also to be constantly looking out for what's new. they might not always pick a winner but personally i enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

compare with certain other artist-owned label that only signs acts that sound like that artist :whistling:

but it's just that us old codgers that have followed the label for a long time have gotten our expectations shook up a bit these last few years.

depends what your expectations are - IDM was cool back in the day in a large part because it was new, so i expect a decent IDM label to not just keep putting out records in a style from 1993, but also to be constantly looking out for what's new. they might not always pick a winner but personally i enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

compare with certain other artist-owned label that only signs acts that sound like that artist :whistling:

it's hard to take you seriously when you imply that rephlex signing 1 artist (monolith) that's being compared to tuss implies that it only signs aphex clones?

nice try.

honestly, this genre has been infested with the thought that you need to force 'invention' constantly in order for it to be valid. it seems like people are looking for the next big thing constantly now, and anything will do as long as it's deviating sufficiently from the norm. what a shit scene, really. there's no organic musical evolution here past the days of techno and house. last post, fuck this.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I wasn't gonna get this album, but so many people are complaining about it that I think I will now. hatas my motivation.

Archived