IGNORED

Plastikman - Arkives

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest ruiagnelo

I am pretty excited about this because i barely know Richie's music as Plastikman, but always sort of had in mind to check it one day, and this comes as the perfect moment, because one can get everything, including unreleased and b-side stuff.

But for the average fan, following him from the beginning i don't think this sounds so amazing at all, but more like a marketing strategy or even Richie's way of saying goodbye.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ruiagnelo

kind of interesting video if just for the archival photos etc.. weird how he had such an expansive studio in the 90s!

for some reason this keeps showing up as 'doesn't not exist' if i try to embed it but it's there! so you'll just have to copy and paste it

edit: ironically if i post the url with no tags it it does work

edit: *hand gesture*

that is a nice video! thanks for sharing.

richie sure put a lot of work into creating the arkives and this video shows it. even if it is just a marketing strategy (come on, everyone likes to get extra cash anytime) it sure is a wonderful package and seems to portrait plastikman in the best way possible. i am very excited about it.

he mentioned some albums are different in some ways, but even if it is just small things, they are also being remastered, so i wonder if they will keep the original sound...

Guest Greg Reason

I find him a bore. Closer was naff.

I love Closer. The spoken word shit is very dorky but musically I think it's fantastic.

i honestly havent listened to much of Plastikman stuff, save for Musik

the DE9 series is fucking massively awesome however...but 200 bucks for this??? i dunno....i guess ill get some mp3s and see what i think from there.

whats a good place to start?

also, is the System 7 Alpha Wave remix considered Hawtin or Plastikman? because thats a jam.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Greg Reason

Just got an email:

To my fans, supporters and those who are eagerly waiting for their copy of Arkives to arrive!

Greetings to everyone from cold and snowy Canada! Matthew and I have been locked into The Building here in Windsor for the past weeks putting the finishing touches on the Arkives release. While finishing book layouts and CD mastering we were lucky enough to find even more material for the release. We unearthed more never seen before photos and even additional unreleased recordings from the original U.T.K. studio!

Realizing that you only get one chance at a project like this, we've decided to EXPAND Arkives, ensuring that this is the definite, most comprehensive, Plastikman anthology possible!

The Arkives Reference Edition book has now been expanded to 100 pages, including even more rare photos with extra accompanying text, offering further insight into the Plastikman project. In addition, due to the newly found unreleased material, we are expanding the original 12-disc set to 16 discs (15 CD's, 1 DVD) including a specially mixed disc of unreleased material!

For everyone who ordered Arkives Reference and/or Komplete there will be NO extra charge for all of this extra material! For those who ordered Arkives Digital, we've also expanded the content on this edition. (see final edition track listings below)

Unfortunately, all this good news does come with a downside. Due to the extra work in expanding the release, Arkives, we will not be shipping until the end of April. (This includes all versions: Reference, Analog, Digital & Komplete)

I know that many of you will be disappointed, but I hope that you can wait a little longer for this once in a lifetime release! Believe me, it's an incredibly beautiful package and the extra material is well worth the delay!

Thank you for everyone's patience and support!

Warm regards,

Richie

AN extra four CDs!! Woot

Guest ruiagnelo

Just got an email:

To my fans, supporters and those who are eagerly waiting for their copy of Arkives to arrive!

Greetings to everyone from cold and snowy Canada! Matthew and I have been locked into The Building here in Windsor for the past weeks putting the finishing touches on the Arkives release. While finishing book layouts and CD mastering we were lucky enough to find even more material for the release. We unearthed more never seen before photos and even additional unreleased recordings from the original U.T.K. studio!

Realizing that you only get one chance at a project like this, we've decided to EXPAND Arkives, ensuring that this is the definite, most comprehensive, Plastikman anthology possible!

The Arkives Reference Edition book has now been expanded to 100 pages, including even more rare photos with extra accompanying text, offering further insight into the Plastikman project. In addition, due to the newly found unreleased material, we are expanding the original 12-disc set to 16 discs (15 CD's, 1 DVD) including a specially mixed disc of unreleased material!

For everyone who ordered Arkives Reference and/or Komplete there will be NO extra charge for all of this extra material! For those who ordered Arkives Digital, we've also expanded the content on this edition. (see final edition track listings below)

Unfortunately, all this good news does come with a downside. Due to the extra work in expanding the release, Arkives, we will not be shipping until the end of April. (This includes all versions: Reference, Analog, Digital & Komplete)

I know that many of you will be disappointed, but I hope that you can wait a little longer for this once in a lifetime release! Believe me, it's an incredibly beautiful package and the extra material is well worth the delay!

Thank you for everyone's patience and support!

Warm regards,

Richie

AN extra four CDs!! Woot

APRIL?! :cry::shrug::yeah:

• 2 weeks later...

Shit, I'm not sure I can handle that much in a single release.. There comes a point where the content drowns in itself.

It's great to have the whole package, but I'll need to divide it into eras, and take'em one at the time or something!

Will be a great experience anyway.. really looking forward to hearing the sound on the remasteres..

So wait, I have Consumed, Closer and Decks, EFX & 909.

What else should I listen to? There are around 7 different albums with DE9 on it... which one should I check out?

So wait, I have Consumed, Closer and Decks, EFX & 909.

What else should I listen to? There are around 7 different albums with DE9 on it... which one should I check out?

One Sheet, Musik, and his stuff under the alias 'Concept 1' is excellent - http://www.discogs.com/Concept-1-Concept-1-96CD/release/13780

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

There are around 7 different albums with DE9 on it... which one should I check out?

other than Decks, EFX & 909 there are only two other mixes from that series: 'Closer to the edit' and 'Transitions'. The rest of the DE9 releases are just different versions of those three.

Transitions is the best DE9 release so far imo

Sounds good, I'll grab Transitions and Concept 1. I find Decks, EFX & 909 highly repetitive. And not in the good sense.

well here's the thing, Concept 1 is probably Richie's most minimal/clinical/experimental release. It's not for everybody, but if you are a fan of Consumed (my favorite plastikman album) you will find Concept 1 very familiar and engrossing.

I like how it almost blurs the line between techno and accidental rhythms, in a lot of ways it reminds me of a proto Mark Fell/snd only in the rhythmic conceptual sense.

2 of the more dancefloor tracks on Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvydkMqE6wI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW7iLJomEho&feature=related

sheet one was my introduction to good acid techno, before that album i hadn't heard anything that sounded so 'serious' and foreboding before. Some of the best 303 lines ever recorded are on Sheet-one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNF6Bn-Anw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBzLXq84QIE

a lot people in the IDM scene are totally unaware that Richie Hawtin is also 'F.U.S.E' an early player in the Warp 'Artificial Intelligence' series along with Polygon Window, autechre etc

although i personally don't like the F.U.S.E. stuff very much, its a little too up beat for me

Edited by Awepittance

Sounds good, I'll grab Transitions and Concept 1. I find Decks, EFX & 909 highly repetitive. And not in the good sense.

I'd definitely recommend DE9:Closer To The Edit as well, it's my personal favourite of the Richie Hawtin mixes - It reminds me of the progression of music you get in Rez.

F.U.S.E. too up beat? What do you mean with up beat? From the 13 tracks on Dimension Intrusion there's only a couple (4?) with the four to the floor heavy-techno thing going on. The rest was what was about to be called braindance, or whatever the term you want to give it. It's a hugely underrated album, imo.

F.U.S.E. too up beat? What do you mean with up beat?

it's much more floaty and happy with pads appearing occasionally, it's not dark like his plastikman stuff, thats what i mostly meant.

Guest ruiagnelo

wouldn't the logical thing to do be to release a modest 4cd box set of unreleased music?

i get your point, and it seems logical to me.

altough i would love to hear a remastered Sheet One.

Guest Hanratty

wouldn't the logical thing to do be to release a modest 4cd box set of unreleased music?

i just dont understand remastering. I can understand if you're talking about some blues from the 1940s being remastered to sound better. But techno from the 90's? Isn't it already sounding its best?

Guest ruiagnelo

i just dont understand remastering. I can understand if you're talking about some blues from the 1940s being remastered to sound better. But techno from the 90's? Isn't it already sounding its best?

Sheet One sounds very good, but the volume is kind of low.

Also Richie mentioned new versions not only remastered, but slightly changed.