IGNORED

going to gigs alone..

Guest beatfanatic

Guest beatfanatic

So I am going to see Caribou tomorrow which is pretty exciting since I missed him couple of months ago. The buddy I usually go to shows with has moved to Toronto for University and I am sick and tired of taking my other friend who is not into music. He would probably enjoy it since its Caribou but I dont want to feel guilty about him not having a good time or whatever.

Also I am thinking that once the show starts, you are enjoying the music anyways so you dont really need anyone to hangout with.It might get a bit boring/awkward between the opening set (Emeralds) and the main set though and the fact that I dont drink probably makes it worse since I cant just sit somewhere with a bottle of beer.

So do you guys go to gigs alone?? What have been your experiences like??

Guest Helper ET

so i need a roomate a

nd suddenly youre not around. now and need a friend to go see your indie rock and youve come crawling back. not so funny now is it?

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

As with most things it's all what you make of it. I have had some really fucking great times going to shows alone. Mostly the positive in my mind besides being able to talk about it a little after words is being able to chill with your friends before the gig, during dead time etc. but once a good concert is in full effect I could care less about what my friends are doing.

I've only done this a few times in my lifetime, I guess I'm too shy and/or self-aware to enjoy myself without company. Probably won't do it again, unless it's something fun and I go get drunk to man up.

Guest Fishtank

I haven't done this yet but Polka Dot Cadaver is playing on the 6th and I really don't want to miss it so I'll most likely be going alone

Guest AcrossCanyons

I've been to gigs alone and at festivals I often go to see bands on my own - it can be enjoyable as long as you aren't the type of person to need company in social occasions to not feel awkward.

I saw mastodon on my own earlier this year and it was hands down one of the best gigs of my life. it helped there were plenty of other people enjoying it and dancing and moving and shouting and singing. the band before everybody was just stood around and it was a bit more awkward, but i still enjoyed absorbing the band with a quiet (or not so quiet, the band were quite loud) pint.

You'll enjoy Caribou whether with or without friends... they put on a great live show... like a pack of multi-instrumentalist monkeys.

Not sure what I'd do if I had to go alone to something I couldn't miss... getting really pissed would break down some social discomfort, but also drinking on my own is just :facepalm:

I'd have to have a fucking beard to stroke if I went to a gig on my own wouldn't I...

Archived