IGNORED

how gifted were you as a kid?

vamos scorcho

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very. They all thought I was gonna be something great. They were wrong. Ha!

total badass.

same here, btw. i skipped a grade, but then later on i failed to pass a grade, like a tard :(

i bet that sup was gifted to his parents.

and by that, i mean that he was adopted.

and by that, i mean that his real parents gave him away cos they didn't want him.

I recently realized that I had synesthesia when I was younger. I was pretty high out of my mind while listening to music recently, and was experiencing it. I all of a sudden realized that I had colors for several notes and chords, and that music was so much more visual when I was younger.

Now that I'm aware that I did have, it's getting easier for me to see the color again.

That's pretty awesome. How do the colors look and feel? Is it real like an hallucination or is it a mental 'colorscape' of sorts? You have one color for each note in the scale, does that mean you can more easily see what pitch a note or chord is in, does it help with such technical things?

It's very hard to explain. It's generally not a solid color, unless something very simple like a square wave is being played. Different timbres/instruments provide different textures. I also see it in my mind, so I kind of have to be thinking about it and not super zoned-out on something else. When I was a kid, I didn't have to think about it.

I always thought I was just picturing things to go with music (generally abstract shapes/forms) but I realized recently that every time I heard something in D Major (at least Middle D, not sure how lower notes work) that the forms were Green and Yellow. So, if I start becoming aware of the note-color relationships, hopefully I can identify notes faster.

I was in the "advanced" classes in Elementary school

Same here, for elementary, middle school and junior high. The "Odyssey" program. In high school, I decided not to take AP classes, and ended up going to art school. All for naught!

I'd say 7. I was stupid in grade school, but quite able in the drawing department and crafting with wood. I also made great houses made of trash I'm still proud of and serve as good basis for future building exploits (+kickass minecraft feel)

I recently realized that I had synesthesia when I was younger. I was pretty high out of my mind while listening to music recently, and was experiencing it. I all of a sudden realized that I had colors for several notes and chords, and that music was so much more visual when I was younger.

Now that I'm aware that I did have, it's getting easier for me to see the color again.

That's pretty awesome. How do the colors look and feel? Is it real like an hallucination or is it a mental 'colorscape' of sorts? You have one color for each note in the scale, does that mean you can more easily see what pitch a note or chord is in, does it help with such technical things?

It's very hard to explain. It's generally not a solid color, unless something very simple like a square wave is being played. Different timbres/instruments provide different textures. I also see it in my mind, so I kind of have to be thinking about it and not super zoned-out on something else. When I was a kid, I didn't have to think about it.

I always thought I was just picturing things to go with music (generally abstract shapes/forms) but I realized recently that every time I heard something in D Major (at least Middle D, not sure how lower notes work) that the forms were Green and Yellow. So, if I start becoming aware of the note-color relationships, hopefully I can identify notes faster.

same thing happened to me. Train it.

Also try to see if you have other kind of synaesthesiae. For instance it seems i have muscle--> color synaesthesia (if I pay attention). Cannabis is the best drug I ever found in regards to enhancing it. Acid has also some effects on it. It doesn't really increase the stimuli i perceive, but i enhance the empathic side of my synaesthesia (I have love --> coloured textures synaesthesia as well).

everyone used to say that i was very smart and that i would do great things and that i could do whatever i wanted to do. this went all through high school, even a bit through the beginning of college. my ego has been so built up that when it finally crashed down a couple of weeks ago, it almost killed me. everything has fallen apart and i feel like a failure because everyone expected so fucking much of me. i just want to be boring. i don't want to do great things. i just want to be happy. but part of me says, "well, in that case, your life is entirely pointless. you have disappointed everyone around you and they all hate you. everyone thinks you're a fool for falling apart so easily. nobody wants to be associated with you and they only do so out of pity." it's this internal conflict that i really need to fix because crying myself to sleep every night because i dropped out of organic chemistry isn't a long-term solution.

i definitely feel like i can link it back to everyone telling me how great i was when i was younger. i'm not particularly great. i have a decent memory and i'm clever, but my neuroticism and social awkwardness basically cancels that out. however, those attributes didn't develop until later (i.e. now), so i guess i was a gifted child. the problem is, i turned into a fucked-up adult. i wish i could figure out where and why things went so downhill--but do i even want to? it's not like i can fix it at this point. the damage has been done. i am destined for mediocrity. why look back? i'll only end up blaming myself. looking forward is difficult too, because i feel like there is nothing there. i am mediocre. it hurts to admit it and know that it's the truth.

i'm having a mid-life crisis at 19; only god can help me now.

So much fuck ups in this forum. Can't you all be less self centered? I could never describe my life as a simple series of events . Dayumm.

everyone used to say that i was very smart and that i would do great things and that i could do whatever i wanted to do. this went all through high school, even a bit through the beginning of college. my ego has been so built up that when it finally crashed down a couple of weeks ago, it almost killed me. everything has fallen apart and i feel like a failure because everyone expected so fucking much of me. i just want to be boring. i don't want to do great things. i just want to be happy. but part of me says, "well, in that case, your life is entirely pointless. you have disappointed everyone around you and they all hate you. everyone thinks you're a fool for falling apart so easily. nobody wants to be associated with you and they only do so out of pity." it's this internal conflict that i really need to fix because crying myself to sleep every night because i dropped out of organic chemistry isn't a long-term solution.

i definitely feel like i can link it back to everyone telling me how great i was when i was younger. i'm not particularly great. i have a decent memory and i'm clever, but my neuroticism and social awkwardness basically cancels that out. however, those attributes didn't develop until later (i.e. now), so i guess i was a gifted child. the problem is, i turned into a fucked-up adult. i wish i could figure out where and why things went so downhill--but do i even want to? it's not like i can fix it at this point. the damage has been done. i am destined for mediocrity. why look back? i'll only end up blaming myself. looking forward is difficult too, because i feel like there is nothing there. i am mediocre. it hurts to admit it and know that it's the truth.

i'm having a mid-life crisis at 19; only god can help me now.

Get over yourself and enjoy life -please.

Guest Enter a new display name

I had a lot of potential back in elementary school and in high school until college required time and effort, which I am not totally unable to fulfill. I recently realized how much of a lazy cunt I have been in the last few years and it makes me feel bad about my skills.

i was a gifted child. the problem is, i turned into a fucked-up adult. i wish i could figure out where and why things went so downhill--but do i even want to? it's not like i can fix it at this point. the damage has been done. i am destined for mediocrity. why look back? i'll only end up blaming myself. looking forward is difficult too, because i feel like there is nothing there. i am mediocre. it hurts to admit it and know that it's the truth.

you're 19 ffs, stop making those conclusions. it reads like self-pity even tho i know that's not all there is to it (i almost got stuck in the same thoughts for awhile when i was the same age).

get laid and do some punishingly hard work, literally get your mind off of these doubts & hormones WILL flow and dopamine levels WILL even out.

...in other news, CUP is BUCT.

Archived