IGNORED

how gifted were you as a kid?

vamos scorcho

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was basically a total fuck-up.

In grade school, was always getting in trouble, detentions, suspensions, you name it.

In high school, I took a remedial science class for 2 years and got straight A's.

I also took remedial math for 2 years and got straight A's (the math thing was the result of straight up sabotage by my 8th grade math teacher. No kidding. She told me to throw out my assignments when I completed them. At the end of the semester, she had a meeting with me, my mom and my principal and basically lied and tried to frame me by saying that I didn't do any assignments that semester. I pulled out my stack of assignments and said "you mean these assignments you told me to throw out?". She went white in the face. It was awesome. I got sick soon after during the time everyone learned cross-multiplying and missed a week of class. She had an after school study group for kids who wanted to catch up but she wouldn't let me in. Straight up. She just singled me out because I had long hair or something. I hope she got fired. I hated that bitch. At some point around then, I got caught sending her anonymous death threats and got in trouble with the dean. I hope she's dead now).

Long story short, when I got into freshman algebra with my peers, I had no idea how to cross-multiply (the foundation of algebra) and my then-teacher (also a massive cunt) wasn't willing to help me out. So I was placed with the twinkie-bus kids.

I looked like a burn-out metalhead, so my guidance counselor just assumed I was stupid and kept me in small classes with about 10 kids that were either gorillas with behavior problems or just border-line retarded (there were some actual retarded kids in my classes. There was this one kid who didn't speak and half of his body had stopped developing in childhood. The other half was like fucking Jean Claude Van Damme and he would have fits of rage that would usually end with him throwing a desk across the room with one hand.

At first, it was cool acing everything but then I realized I was intentionally being pushed to the margins of the system. Sooner or later, I had to insist that I didn't belong in mongoloid classes and, after much prodding, they started putting me in with freshman when I was a junior.

By senior year, I had caught up with the rest of my class.

I then went to a state school, got on the dean's list with something like a 4.8 college GPA and transferred to an Ivy-League, private university.

Fuck the system. If you don't fit in they try to crush you. Fuck them all.

that really sucks. sounds like a terrible way to experience the system.

in 1st grade i entered into my elementary school's "gifted class" of around 10 people. we went to the class and did fun educational activities. that was cool because it got us all more interested in the passion of knowledge.

4th grade i scored really high on some math exam so they put me into a special program:

"double accelerated math."

i was one of the original 5 students to participate in this program in our school system. i was great at first but slowly started getting C's.

then i fucking started failing more and more and started to hate school - i preferred getting blazed, staying up all night, browsing the internet, blazing more, etc.

now i am here after dropping out of college, and i must ask myself, where do i go now?

adventure!

now i am here after dropping out of college, and i must ask myself, where do i go now?

adventure!

We don't have special classes here. When you're gifted you just go in the next class. So I just went in the next class and quickly made new friends.

My parents told me I used to fascinate my classmate and that sometimes i would act like a guru.

Right now, i'm somehow in the same situation as you vamos, so i guess we should team up and found a sect.

Guest disparaissant

i was in hot dog math (THATS ADVANCED MATH!) in second grade we were ttly doing division and shit but i never got it so i got kicked out of hot dog math.

honestly everyones always told me im super smart and i guess my iq is really high (162) but i dont really see it and if it's true i never use that shit so fuck it.

i did start playing piano at 4 tho. thing is, i quit when i was 12 and i suck at it so WHATEVER.

dropped out of high school, dropped out of college. wasted mind.

As a kid, it was easy to coast through coursework based on intelligence, even in a gifted program. This enabled me to pursue lots of other interests, mainly music (serious piano player) and racket sports.

You realize at some point later on in life that, to be successful outside of a classroom environment, intelligence is secondary to effort. I'm still trying to adjust to this reality, which has seriously cramped my style.

Guest AcrossCanyons

I wasn't.

I always got the "you could do brilliant if you applied yourself" line - I never applied myself.

grades 1-5 i was doing pretty good, never got in any trouble, teachers loved me, my parents would kill me if i got anything less than a B, the only C i had was in english in the 5th grade, that was in russia.

grades 6-10, family migrated to israel, im a total shit at integrating and learning the language, fail on almost everything except math and english, it's becoming worse and worse the following grades, i did befriend some interesting people and we started not giving a shit about school together,

grades 8-10 im barely at school, just hanging around with a couple of friends i have, smoke cigarettes and embrace the beauty of computers and the emergence of internet, we used to fuck with ICQ a lot, amateur hacking, imposture, bloated telephone bills etc. i guess i was kind of a funny mix of a geek without the good grades and stoner without doing drugs, just the laziness. my good friend was much more punkish than i was and would try to drag me into some crazier shit but i never had the balls, we did torch a computer classroom in our school on some holiday though.

my parents would enroll me into piano lessons, and i sort of liked it and the teachers did discover some talent in me as far as i remember, but i was too lazy to practice so that failed pretty quick.

i never started 11th grade and convinced my parents i needed a better school so they enrolled me into private and pricey school that only focused on subjects that are required by universities (matriculation?) without any social stuff. i wasn't doing too good either, although i attended every class, i suspect i was kind of ADHD maybe.

(3 years of military service later :facepalm: ) i continued the studies at that private school and did significantly better, finishing with decent grades but without any clue on how to continue. after 3 years of working on minimum wage jobs (some of which were enjoyable though: a computer salesman/tech in a small shop, a postman) a natural interest in more serious studies started to arise, so with financial support from the parents i enrolled into the uni at the age of 25, i've enjoyed the fuck out of first year despite my hate of writing and my grades are very good...and i'm actually looking forward to the next year.

to answer the original question i think i'm about 2/10 gifted

2 tips for youngsters willing to skip the badly written tldr:

*manipulate your parents, it's probably their fault you're a fuckup. why the fuck did they decide make a babby if they're not able to educate it properly and make it succeed in life. with this argument you can receive financial support until the age of 30 i think.

*study only when you feel like it, otherwise it just won't work and will only make you miserable.

(it's a nice thread, move it back to genban plox)

I never made the gifted classes but I did pretty well. I always applied myself just enough (to maintain a decent GPA) in the subjects I didn't have much interest in so I could focus more on those subjects for which I did have an interest. When I got to college I took all classes that I was interested in so I did much better than I did in high school.

In elementary school, my teachers apparently wanted me to take a test to skip a grade, but my parents didn't want me to because my dad did the same thing. He flunked out of college at 17 because he was too immature and just partied all the time. It's alright, though. He went back after Vietnam, and he's a doctor now.

As far as music goes, I taught myself how to read notation and to play the double bass at 11.

Academically I was nothing special, except maybe with creative writing (does that even qualify as academic? [see what i mean?]). My grade 6 teacher told my parents to stop doing my writing assignments for me (they weren't). I picked up a guitar my mom bought at a garage sale when I was in grade 5, taught myself how to play power chords and wrote/recorded a 10 song cassette within a couple months. That's probably the most remarkable thing I did in my childhood. I wrote my first song when I was 5 while stomping around the house pretending to be a dinosaur... it was called "The Biggest Dinosaur", pretty cool melody, in a minor key, only consisted of one part that repeated, but it was a good part. My follow-up "Hornet, Hornet, Flying Around Me" didn't quite live up to its prehistoric predecessor. The subject matter was trite, and the melody was naive and overly simplistic. Kids are fucking idiots. Anyway, my brother used to listen to LG73, a gaudy 80's pop rock station, and I was big into monsters at the time, so those two things inspired me to write "Black Beast", which isn't nearly as cool as it sounds. I mean, you'd expect "Black Beast" to be an epic shredding metal tune, but it was closer in style to Cyndy Lauper, and it wasn't about a cool monster that flew around killing people and destroying cities, it was about a monster who was my friend. See, in grade 1 I didn't really have any real friends, so I had to invent them, and they were usually even lamer than I was. Their theme songs were even worse. Fucking garbage... I don't even tell my friends about that one because it's that bad. Black Beast was an asshole. The Biggest Dinosaur on the other hand I will always stand behind. To this day I don't think I've topped it. There was a gap between ages 6 and 9 where I didn't compose anything, then after getting into G 'n R, Metallica and Nirvana I started writing lyrics with semi-random melodies that I made up as I went... I did about 70 of these before I finally picked up guitar, can't remember a single one of them. For the longest time I wrote lyrics that emulated the sort of language I was hearing in the bands I heard, but they were never about anything. Formed a band in grade 6 with a couple other rug rats who lived on my street that stayed together until the end of high school. I recorded NIN/Ministry inspired industrial tracks on a Tascam 4-track in grades 8/9, under the highly original moniker of "Machine". Yep. Throughout High School I was pretty much socially retarded and a mediocre student.

spoke to much and didn't listen properly, was good at creative shit, did test to see if i were dyslexic or not, i so was and got extra time with my gcse's, still only passed two of them (art and design) the rest were d's-e's and 2 g's, did a btec in graphic design then did a ba in information design. now im unemployed.

and at 16 stated making music on fl (no musical experience expect lots of listening), now 23, still do but on logic.

We didn't have gifted classes, my school all through elementary was piss poor. I was very ahead of the class, especially in reading, writing, and math. My 1st and 2nd grade teachers told my parents that they really had nothing to offer me. I was extremely good at piano, I took lessons out of the YWCA. At recitals I received gold medals along with other performers far older than me. I was always the youngest to receive gold medals.

As I got to middle school the teachers got shittier (Wrestling and Basketball coaches as my Science and History teachers, respectfully) and so did my grades in these classes. I got my first C in 6th Grade and my first D in 7th. We moved to a new city when my parents split and my Dad took the piano. I stopped having lessons, and started trying to play and teach my self on our very old Casio keyboard. I was frustrated that I couldn't be happy with any of the music I'd try to write.

I finally decided to switch the schools at 8th Grade, after commuting for 2 years to my old school. The new school offered a higher math, since I had high test scores I was placed in it. I didn't understand it because I wasn't educated in the 7th grade high math when I was in 7th grade at my old school. I failed my Home Ec class because we had to sew and I didn't know how (They learned it the year before, like I said, I went to a different school).

I started high school with crippling depression, and got through with C's. I received a Roland Fantom X8 Workstation for Christmas. At this point I couldn't play piano with both hands at once anymore. I did nothing with it for years. I also failed math, and had to retake the entire year. Two other kids failed, but they're family members were friends with the principal, so they didn't have to retake the year.

Got through high school with a C average. While still shit at piano, I can play pretty fast. Trying to get through college, we'll see how that goes. Still struggling to write music.

That was longer than I wanted it to be.

You realize at some point later on in life that, to be successful outside of a classroom environment, intelligence is secondary to effort. I'm still trying to adjust to this reality, which has seriously cramped my style.

this is the post your entire-life-up-until-this-point thread, right?

OK, so as a child i was one innocent fuck. had a thing for doing weird or inappropriate shit to get reactions out of classmates. pants'ed the PE teacher, stood on my desk yelling "oogaloogaloooha", ran past hall monitors, stole candy and sodas from this secret storage portable for school events that was always unlocked. got average grades, right in the middle, not too dumb, not too smart. was prescribed to ritalin. crawled under one of those huge rainbow parachutes laying in the soccer field without supervision, got lost, tangled, and almost suffocated. hung out mostly with my older brother and his friends, who skateboarded. by middle school i was full-on hanging out/skating around town with my older brother and his friends. we biked, made ramps, motor scooters flying around, skateboards breaking, picking up half smoked cigarettes and trying them out, those were the things we accomplished out of school. in school i starting finding girls i liked, learned to play guitar by the 7th grade and was pretty good by 8th, and still am to this day. STARTED SMOKING WEED in mid-7th grade. popped about 14 coricidin with my friend bradley before school in 7th grade as well, we both threw up at lunch a few hours later. i was in the lunch line and did it rather nonchalantly. bradley was at his table eating and threw up all over the table and himself. we both got sent to the nurse and bradley's mom, who worked there, called my mom, and we both went home and got HUGE bitching's. our older brothers got in the biggest trouble for being an influence.

throughout 7/8th grade i was known to roll my pants up half way, wore shit inside out, colored my shoes, yelled out in class, just being weird/humorous in general for laughs. eventually teachers scheduled a conference w/ the principle and my mom by the 8th grade to consider putting me in special classes. being a sensitive kid, i never saw why they would think such a thing. innocent and oblivious to the system and it's conventions, i was just in it being me. grades were so-so; mostly C's and B's, some D's, occasional F. took some private learning classes with other "troubled kids".

i took a weed-break throughout the 9th grade and the bigging of high school, in the 10th grade. i was a regular stoner within my tight group of friends by the end of the 10th grade to the end of high school. me and the guys would smoke everyday after, during, before school, you name it. hung out mainly at one of my best friends' houses who had a private basement/tv room/music room/video game room/everything room, with a porch and a beautiful backyard filled with florida vegetation. his mom would never bother us, unless things got too rowdy, and they often did. the cops started checking out the place near the end of 12th, but never an altercation. started experimenting with psychedelics in 11th grade. which started with a huge bong hit of salvia, then numerous mushrooms trips. tripped on weekends a lot. by the start of 12th, i was reading terence mckenna, alan watts, emma goldman, and alot of anarchist texts. i really didn't want anything to do with careers, money, and relationships, as they are today and i graduated, with a humble 2.2 GPA. took 2 semesters of freshman community college (took acid for the first, second, third, and fourth times), and here i am now. i haven't been to community college since last spring, and plan on going back this spring. living on my own, working part time. fuck the system. TALENT.

Archived