IGNORED

Synthpop music

gunnar

I caught this band in Manchester a few weeks back....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjKtbCx3piM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LJtMrhb558

Wow, she has a fucking beautiful voice!

This thread is pure win.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

just checked out austra, reminded me of fischerspooner, wasssup whit all the fs hate???

[youtubehd]HZFk8LzLvH8[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]GzuIn-qj_P8[/youtubehd]

i can't simply hate them cause their dicks... it's not enough these days... what would be left?

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

• 1 year later...

just checked out austra, reminded me of fischerspooner, wasssup whit all the fs hate???

[youtubehd]HZFk8LzLvH8[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]GzuIn-qj_P8[/youtubehd]

i can't simply hate them cause their dicks... it's not enough these days... what would be left?

Man, FS were pants. They couldn't program a drum machine worth beans, and all they did is discard the futuristic side of Human League or Kraftwerk and play up the fashion aspect which incidentally was what originally destroyed synthpop. That said, there was a more positive side to them than the usual indie fare: for example covering Wire's The 15th was a good move, so maybe it's OK that FS existed. I definitely listened to them a lot when they were new.

God, the drums on Emerge are completely whack.

I don't know, when I think of that particular time in music I can only think of the opposition between Dopplereffekt and Miss Kittin. Dopplereffekt is no-nonsense and has a lot of conceptual integrity, while Miss Kittin is all about style and virtually all formal aspects of her tracks are arbitrary (you could change the instruments, the arrangements, everything, because the point is just to have something that's provocative, danceable and sexy, which is fun but I don't need music for that.)

• 6 years later...