IGNORED

Soup appreciations thread

Guest Promo

thread needs more recipes. that black bean soup sounds awesome.

Ask and ye shall receive. I shared this with a friend on another forum two years ago. She calls it Sidewinder Soup, her and her husband love it. :smile:

Black Bean Squash Soup:

Original recipe by Becky Boutch. Serves 4, I usually double everything for leftovers.

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash

• 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

• 1 cup diced canned tomatoes
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 4 1/2 cups cooked black beans (canned is fine, just drain the liquid)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (probably not enough)

Garnishes:

• Sour cream
  • Lightly toasted pumpkin seeds (I toast them with a little soy sauce)
  • Crumbled Cotija cheese (not in original recipe, but yum!)

Instructions:

• Heat a heavy 6-quart kettle over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and onion. Saute until onion turns translucent. Add squash and cook until it begins to soften. Add garlic, cumin, and pepper and saute a minute longer.
  • Add tomatoes, vegetable stock, half of the beans, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook 20 minutes, until onions and squash are tender.
  • Puree soup. Add remaining beans. Stir until heated through. (I usually add the remaining beans before pureeing...it's up to you what consistency you want. Just don't do it long so it's not too liquid).
  • Serve soup and garnish with sour cream, toasted pumpkin seeds and crumbled Cotija cheese.

A few thick slices of warm & buttered multi-grain bread always go really well with this.

Enjoy! :cisfor:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i make this by the bucketload, it freezes very well.

CREAM OF WINTER VEGETABLE AND FRESH CORIANDER & BASIL SOUP

1kg carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks

500g turnip, peeled and chopped into chunks

500g potato, peeled and chopped into chunks

250g onions, peeled and chopped into chunks

250g parsnip, peeled and chopped into chunks

250g tomatoes, chopped into chunks

real butter

(rough measurements, you should have about twice as much carrot as turnip and potato, and about twice as much turnip and potato as the rest)

5 big coriander sprigs

1 medium fresh basil plant

tabasco sauce

worcestershire sauce

olive oil

boiling water

500g cream cheese, like philadelphia

sea salt

freshly ground black pepper

parboil all the veg, then sautee with plenty of real butter until semi-soft

meanwhile, blend the coriander and basil with enough olive oil to make a paste

add worcestershire and tabasco sauce to the paste to taste

add the paste to the sauteed veg and fry for a minute or two

blend to a chunky, varied consistency either with either a hand blender or a food processor

add enough boiling water to bring to a thick but not sludgy consistency and simmer for 30 mins

add the cream cheese and simmer until it has properly melted

season with black pepper and sea salt

made my very first soup today cuz I've been firing jets for three days straight, and someone told me soup was good for that (SOMEHOW!?!)

3 cloves Garlic

1 Leek

Rosemary

1 Onion

2tbsp Peppercorns

3tbsp Olive Oil

^ blend these, add to:

4 cups Peas

Diced Ham

3 Bay Leaves

4 sliced Carrots

2 cups Water

fucking delicious

BUCKFAST AND GUINNESS SOUP WITH STILTON

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

3 tablespoons butter

2 large onions, thick sliced

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 cups Buckfast Tonic Wine

6 cups water

3 tablespoons bisto

2 cans of guinness

1-2 drops tabasco sauce

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Stilton cheese to serve

Directions:

Add oil and melt butter in large cooking pot.

Add the onions, salt, pepper, brown sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until onions have turned deep golden in color

this will take 45-60 minutes. Be careful not to burn the onions.

When onions have reached the "perfect" color, add 1 cup buckfast to deglaze and cook for 5 minutes.

Add water, Bisto, Guinness, tabasco sauce, and thyme.

Bring to a boil, add the other cup of Buckfast, and cover.

Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. .

Ladle soup into oven-proof bowls.

Crumble in some Stilton and bake for 5 minutes at a preheated gas 8.

Guest Coalbucket PI

While the UK in general has a hearty history of sludged out savory stews that are delicious, the Vietnamese just threw down the gauntlet with pho bo.

One time I thought, "hey I can make this". WRONG! The process to make the broth is a true witch's brew and takes ages. I can only get holy basil in huge fucking wads that go bad before I can ever hope to consume.

Best just to go to my local---fully load the basil, sprouts and lime squeeze. I do a spiral of sriracha and 6-7 dots around the outer edge of hoisin. It's definitely the most ritualistic eating experience I've known but oh does it pay off. Pho has actually been like a friend in some rough times. It's like the best wordless conversation.

mmmm, Vietnam Cafe, I love you. 4.5 out 5 stars on yelp.com across 34 reviews. It's proof positive

34216906.png

Oh fucking WORD, pho is the absolute shit. In vietnam eating out can get quite pricey, at least compared to neighbouring countries, but there is always some brilliant tiny ageless vietnamese woman out on the street with the smallest plastic stool-and-table set you've ever seen selling noodle soup and beer for virtually nothing, it's the most furiously fantastic thing that ever existed and you can legitimately eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner

Although I don't like the bloke his recipes are fucking awesome.

Try this baby out:-

lrg_1500.jpg

creamy asparagus soup with a poached egg on toast

800g asparagus, woody ends removed

olive oil

2 medium white onions, peeled and chopped

2 sticks of celery, trimmed and copped

2 leeks, trimmed and chopped

2 litres good-quality chicken or vegetable stock, preferably organic

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

10 small very fresh free-range or organic eggs

8 slices of ciabatta bread

a knob of butter

extra virgin olive oil

Serves 8

Chop the tips off your asparagus and put these to one side for later. Roughly chop the asparagus stalks. Get a large, deep pan on the heat and add a good lug of olive oil. Gently fry the onions, celery and leeks for around 10 minutes, until soft and sweet, without colouring. Add the chopped asparagus stalks and stock and simmer for 20 minutes with a lid on. Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand-held blender or in a liquidizer. Season the soup bit by bit (this is important) with salt and pepper until just right. Put the soup back on the heat, stir in the asparagus tips, bring back to the boil and simmer for a few more minutes until the tips have softened.

Just before Im ready to serve the soup, I get a wide casserole-type pan on the heat with 8 to 10cm of boiling water. Using really fresh eggs, I very quickly crack all 10 into the water. Dont worry about poaching so many at the same time. They dont have to look perfect. A couple of minutes and theyll be done, as you want them to be a bit runny. Toast your ciabatta slices. Using a slotted spoon, remove all the poached eggs to a plate and add a knob of butter to them. To serve, divide the soup between eight warmed bowls and place a piece of toast into each. Put a poached egg on top, cut into it to make it runny, season and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.

i just made a lot of beef soup last weekend and deep-froze it.

it's my best yet, i'm going to un-freeze some right now :D

when someone says soup, i think of beef soup. BEEF SOUP FTW!

i will make the wife some sidewinder soup. then i will try kaini's.

is that in the recipe list i have bookmarked from you?

holy shit that asparagus soup looks killer!

this thread is an a+

Lobster Bisque is definitely my fucking jam.

There is a spot by me that serves it only for brunch but they do it proper with massive chunks of claw and tail.

I'm gonna cum in my pants thinking about it.

Also,

Tom Kha, FTW.

I make a really fucking amazing black bean squash soup. In fact it's that time of year and I should be making some!

And I dip buttered multi-grain bread in it YUM.

That sounds ace.

I had some cold mango soup the other day, it was probably my favourite soup I've ever had.

Guest HerculesCzar

What I really need to do is make some nice, thick potato soup. If anyone's got a recipe for something along those lines, it would make my day. The last soup I made was some corn chowder in mid-August. I think I cooked the butter and flour too hot. I fucked up real bad.

just made a carrot-ginger-honey soup (taste reminds me of pumpkin-soup)

1 onion, garlic, chili

500g carrots

2 pieces of ginger

1 celery stalk

fry everything in a splash of oil and butter (I use a lot of butter) until the carrots soften.

add 3/4 broth and cook for 15min.

shred everything with a mixer, add crème fraiche, salt, pepper, parsley and honey. heat again and serve.

btw the n2o-capsules are rather expensive, but every soup taste twice as good, if you turn it into an espuma with one of these :spiteful:

21JN0W%2BF2-L.jpg

many winners already mentioned . .

BORSCHT

TOMATO BISQUE

CREAM OF . . (broccoli, potato, mushroom, . . .)

and the classic

STUFF YOU HAVE IN YOUR FRIDGE IN BOILING WATER!

winter ftw!

FRENCH FUCKIN ONION SOUP

There are few things more comforting than making a real French onion soup - slowly cooked, caramelised onions that turn mellow and sweet in a broth laced with white wine and Cognac. The whole thing is finished off with crunchy baked croutons of crusty bread topped with melted, toasted cheese. If ever there was a winter stomach warmer, this is surely it!

Serves 6

Ingredients

1½ lb (700 g) onions, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 oz (50 g) butter

2 cloves garlic, crushed

½ level teaspoon granulated sugar

2 pints (1.2 litres) good beef stock (see link to recipe at the end of the method)

10 fl oz (275 ml) dry white wine

2 tablespoons Cognac

salt and freshly milled black pepper

For the croutons:

French bread or baguettine, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) diagonal slices

1 tablespoon olive oil

1-2 cloves garlic, crushed

To serve:

6 large or 12 small croutons (see above)

8 oz (225 g) Gruyère, grated

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C).

you will also need a large heavy-based saucepan or flameproof casserole of 6 pint (3.5 litres) capacity.

Method

First make the croutons – begin by drizzling the olive oil on to a large, solid baking-sheet, add the crushed garlic and then, using your hands, spread the oil and garlic all over the baking sheet. Now place the bread slices on top of the oil, then turn over each one so that both sides have been lightly coated with the oil.

Bake them in the oven for 20-25 minutes till crispy and crunchy. Next place the saucepan or casserole on a high heat and melt the oil and butter together. When this is very hot, add the onions, garlic and sugar, and keep turning them from time to time until the edges of the onions have turned dark – this will take about 6 minutes. Then reduce the heat to its lowest setting and leave the onions to carry on cooking very slowly for about 30 minutes, by which time the base of the pan will be covered with a rich, nut brown, caramelised film. After that, pour in the stock and white wine, season, then stir with a wooden spoon, scraping the base of the pan well.

As soon as it all comes up to simmering point, turn down the heat to its lowest setting, then go away and leave it to cook very gently, without a lid, for about 1 hour. All this can be done in advance but, when you're ready to serve the soup, bring it back up to simmering point, taste to check for seasoning – and if it's extra-cold outside, add a couple of tablespoons of Cognac! Warm the tureen or soup bowls in a low oven and pre-heat the grill to its highest setting. Then ladle in the hot soup and top with the croutons, allowing them to float on the top of the soup. Now sprinkle the grated Gruyère thickly over the croutons and place the whole lot under the grill until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately – and don't forget to warn your guests that everything is very hot!

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

The cheddar vegetable soup from the Brick Oven Bistro here in Boise is fucking insane. Mashed taters in the middle, soo good, I can't begin to describe its beauty.

I cook a lot of various soups, but most have the same basic broth that I stole/made up:

about 8 large lemongrass stalks; root & grass fringe trimmed, split & chopped into 10 cm chunks

thumb-sized chunk of fresh ginger, grated

2 finger-width chunk of tamarind paste: I buy the seedless bricks (not the reconstituted liquid) but fresh tamarinds would work - maybe 10-15 would do it

4 or so dried shiitake

2 kaffir lime leaves

Boil in 2 litres of water until the lemongrass becomes dull tan in colour. Strain out all the solids (save the shiitakes - you'll want to slice those & put back in). The resulting broth is fucking amazing - I always pour myself a glass of it when I make this and drink it straight. I then add other soup ingredients; eggplant, sweet potato, leafy greens (mustard is really good in this), courgette, okra, tomatoes, etc. Anything will work, really.. Damn it's been too long since I made this! Time to make a run to the Vietnamese grocery for lemongrass... Luckily I have a kaffir lime tree - if you don't have access to these leaves, a small amount of lime zest would work. Tamarind is really essential however.. not sure how you could replace it. If you've never had it, it's a wonderfully sour & sweet sticky paste.

tamarind_sm.jpg

Very weird fruit, but delicious!

The cheddar vegetable soup from the Brick Oven Bistro here in Boise is fucking insane. Mashed taters in the middle, soo good, I can't begin to describe its beauty.

*masturbates to mashed potatoes in soup*

hot & sour soup

This place in my home town had the best hot & sour soup I've ever had. I bought it by the quart and consumed it vigorously.

Archived