IGNORED

Gen has quit Throbbing Gristle

Guest Greg Reason

Guest Greg Reason

In the evening 27th October TG members and their associated managements

received two emails from Genesis P-Orridge stating he was no longer

willing to perform in Throbbing Gristle and returned to his home in New York.

Cosey, Sleazy & Chris have concluded that once more, and for the time being,

Throbbing Gristle has Ceased to Exist, at least as a live entity.

Therefore, and with deepest apologies, TG must cancel their scheduled

performance at Archa Theatre, in Prague, Czech Republic on 30th October.

It being too short notice to offer an alternative set.

In order not to disappoint fans of the old quartet, Cosey, Peter & Chris

have offered to perform live under the name X-TG at Arena Del Sole, Bologna, Italy

on 2nd November & at Casa Musica, Porto, Portugal on 5th November.

We hope fans will appreciate and enjoy this new project and the trio is looking

forward to performing exciting new and radical electronic musics together.

throbbing gristle

Seriously?

Why would he pick now to quit?

They're all geezers.

I got to see TG in Brooklyn a year or two ago. It was cool and meh at the same time.

Every now and then, I see Genesis on the train. He likes to dress like a hood rat, teenage girl.

ps

welcome to the 1k club !

:beer:

Guest Scrambled Ears

Every now and then, I see Genesis on the train. He likes to dress like a hood rat, teenage girl.

lol...isnt he supposed to be supporting a book at desert island soon? was thinking about going maybe it already passed though

LOL an uber geek hipster mate of mine was boasting about seeing TG soon :emotawesomepm9:

personally I think they're good at doing one thing and one thing only and have to blagg conceptual claptrap to justify their lack of skill in other areas

a mate said his old tutor sucked off ole P-Orridge whilst on stage back in the day, the dirty fecker :rhubear3:

i'll miss the studio material but i can't say the TG reunion show that i saw was great. In some ways i almost wish i didn't see it so i can idealize in my own mind what a TG show might have been like back in the day.

Guest analogue wings

i'll miss the studio material but i can't say the TG reunion show that i saw was great. In some ways i almost wish i didn't see it so i can idealize in my own mind what a TG show might have been like back in the day.

that's why i hardly ever go to reunion shows. the gig in my head is usually better

Guest Greg Reason

Yeah I loved their recent records but the footage I saw of that last show was abysmal. Gen was pretty hopeless. I think they'll do much better without him to be honest

Yeah I loved their recent records but the footage I saw of that last show was abysmal. Gen was pretty hopeless. I think they'll do much better without him to be honest

Pretty much this, it's a bit shitty but I'm mainly in it for the Cosey nowadays.

Guest Greg Reason

I still think Sleaz is the man. Coil, SoiSong, his solo stuff as Threshold Houseboys Choir, it's all so mad that I'm keen to listen to anything he's involved with. And since the reunion he and Chris were the two who ran the show anyway so I can't see them sounding too different without Gen. There'll just be a lack of occasional incoherent ranting and bleating.

Gen is just kidding himself if he thinks he's relevant outside of TG. He can go back to doing his PTV3 or whatever but in all honesty his day has passed. He was very relevant in the '70s and I guess a little bit in the '80s (Psychic TV did help push along the rave thing a little) but by the '90s Coil was the dominant force.

And in any case he announced a year or so ago that he wasn't going to do any more TG and then that statement disappeared from his website without any fanfare and back he was. Wonder how long it'll take him to change his mind again.

I still think Sleaz is the man. Coil, SoiSong, his solo stuff as Threshold Houseboys Choir, it's all so mad that I'm keen to listen to anything he's involved with. And since the reunion he and Chris were the two who ran the show anyway so I can't see them sounding too different without Gen. There'll just be a lack of occasional incoherent ranting and bleating.

Gen is just kidding himself if he thinks he's relevant outside of TG. He can go back to doing his PTV3 or whatever but in all honesty his day has passed. He was very relevant in the '70s and I guess a little bit in the '80s (Psychic TV did help push along the rave thing a little) but by the '90s Coil was the dominant force.

And in any case he announced a year or so ago that he wasn't going to do any more TG and then that statement disappeared from his website without any fanfare and back he was. Wonder how long it'll take him to change his mind again.

great points, PTV3 and thee majesty and everything GPO has been involved in during and after his association with Cleopatra records (with the exception of TG) has been laughable. The Electric Newspaper series was a fun idea but i'd be willing to bet that was mostly the work of Larry Thrasher.

The only PTV album that i can call truly great is Dreams Less Sweet, i also like Pagan Day, Force Thee Hand of Chance and Towards the infinite beat, but they are much more pop albums in my mind than anything that can hold a candle to TG or Coil. Trip Reset was arguably a decent modern PTV album, but only in the pop sense.

I almost look at Dreams Less Sweet as a quasi Throbbing Gristle album in a lot of ways (makes a lot more sense if you look at this album almost as a sister LP to TG's last official studio outing, Journey Through a Body), chris & Cosey weren't involved but the mark of Sleazy can definitely be heard.

GPO is a drama queen, an artist who i am working with on the new compilation was associated with TOPY back in the 80s and early 90s. They opened for PTV/gpo in europe and as a joke played a sample from one of PTV's live records with an audience cheering followed by an announcer saying 'lets hear it for PTV'. GPO was so angry with it that he essentially kicked them off the tour.

For as crazy acting as the guy is ,he needs to work on his sense of humor.

r.e. PTV pushing along the rave thing. Really? How? Weirdly, the Infinite Beat stuff is the only PTV i can be arsed with these days and even then i definitely have to be in the mood.

i do agree with the idea that X-TG will be better for not having Gen involved. if ever there was an example of someone with a skewed view of their own import then it's him.

quite lame considering all the effort that went into building new gear for this series of shows. from christophersons blog:

TG will be showcasing the results of our efforts a few times around Europe over the next few months, trying out a lot of new equipment, some being commissioned specially (or software written) for us by boffins, some of whom have the most severe cases of Asberger's Syndrome I have ever come across, but make gear that is literally unsurpassed, and others whose day-jobs are so dangerous that we are genuinely not allowed to tell you about them, for fear of our lives.

i hope x-tg continues.. guess i wouldnt miss gen all that much..

Gen didn't really do much other than ramble anyway did he?

if ever there was an example of someone with a skewed view of their own import then it's him.

Think that sums him up personally.

Guest margaret thatcher

i was at the last ever throbbing gristle gig.

highlights were "the world is a war film", "the old man smiled" and "discipline" as the encore.

lowlight was genesis using an iphone app as a theremin.

over an hour of the two hour gig was instrumental anyway. genesis just sat there, looked bored and drank red wine through the instrumental parts.

won't be missed.

or not? chris carter is rightfully pissed and annoyed. from the quietus:

There seems to be some confusion as to the future of Throbbing Gristle. As previously reported on the Quietus, Genesis P*Orridge quit the group shortly after their London show. He has now responded to the initial statement from the rest of TG via his website under the heading "GENESIS BREYER P-ORRIDGE – HAS NOT QUIT TG!" In the statement, he said "We want to make it clear right now that we did not, and have no wish to quit TG" going on to criticise various websites and the nature of the internet for the story getting out there.

P*Orridge has said that he will comment more in due course: "As soon as we have composed a written version of what series of events we believe led to my feeling unable to remain part of THIS short tour by the re-grouped TG that feels acceptable we will post it here."

But there were more words from the other side of the fence today too. Music magazine Side Line reported the following statement from Chris Carter, who said the rest of TG were "shocked as everyone else" at the decision to quit, and that the reason for it happening "is a question only Genesis can answer."

Carter went on to say "What bothers us, and probably more than the financial burden this situation has created - for us, the promoters and the fans - is a total lack of any kind of apology (public or private) from Genesis. Which frankly is utterly disgraceful. And you can quote me on that..."

http://thequietus.com/articles/05239-throbbing-gristle-split-gets-more-confusing

Cool to see Carter speak up about it, GPO should be called out for being such a drama queen. I'm honestly really surprised the reunion of TG ever was formed in the first place because of his unpredictable (or should i say predictable?) behavior

the only time i got to speak to GPO in person he asked me 'what drugs are you on tonight' i said 'none' and he said 'and you're happy?!?!'

oh and if you guys are interested in listening to a relatively offensive and over the top rap parody of Psychic TV look no further

white sands (took a huge shiter in E's mouth)

E don't believe what tiy said

OV power

doo ee doo doeodoeee doo dee doo (the story about how GPO lied about his 'exile' from the UK) <-- this last song is my favorite

the only time i got to speak to GPO in person he asked me 'what drugs are you on tonight' i said 'none' and he said 'and you're happy?!?!'

i dont want to get all gossipy but i kind of get the impression (through interviews and such) that the man has done WAY too much ketamine and other hallucinogens. I still have some respect for him but hes clearly lost the plot.

Archived