IGNORED

my flatmate has a cat

Guest jim

Contrary to what venetian snares might think, cats are not cool. I came back from a half term holiday and walking through the front door was horrible. The whole flat reeks something awful. Carpets all torn up and stained and the fucking thing was sitting on the kitchen counter (yeah where you prepare food) staring at me. Had to buy carpet cleaner and a whole bunch of those expensive plug in air fresheners to make the place habitable again.

I reckon it knows that it's not supposed to be on the worksurfaces or the (very expensive looking) mahogany dinner table which belongs to the landlady, it's just a complete dickhead.

Is this what you're supposed to expect from a cat? I wouldn't even mind so much if it was in any way charming as an animal but the little bastard doesn't even let you pet it!

(also for anyone who actually owns a cat, how do you stop them from jumping up on your clean worksurfaces and treading their own shit into your plates and teatowels?)

First, the cat is probably cleaner than you are (and I mean that in the nicest way), as they fastidiously wash themselves. Cats do not smell. Getting kitty to not get up on countertops and tables is a matter of training (scold the animal when it does wrong/in the act, not after the fact).

It's owner is responsible for changing it's litter box, which is what you smelled. Perhaps locating the box in an area (such as a closet or a laundry room) out of the way so any recent action in the box won't come to your nose's attention.

(also for anyone who actually owns a cat, how do you stop them from jumping up on your clean worksurfaces and treading their own shit into your plates and teatowels?)

Tough love. punish the bugger when it's done wrong. Most cats don't like water or you blowing on their face. Do it enough when it's near where you don't want it and it'll get the picture. Or get a fucking horrible dog.

My cat never jumps on anything, he likes being hugged and petted and he tries to hug back in a cute/pathetic cat stylee, we change his litter box every day and it doesn't smell at all, and he only scratches his scratching post.

Sounds like you/your flatmate are just too stupid to have pets. :cisfor:

If you fucked up socializing/training your cat or if you missed that opportunity and got him after he's already been fucked up, get a little spray water bottle and gently squirt the cat when he jumps up on something or does something shitty, and say NO or BAD really loudly, and that usually works.

I've had cats and dogs and while I love them both the cats have always honestly been a lot easier to deal with. But maybe you/your cat/your flatmate are just in a perfect synergy of cuntitude?

Guest ruiagnelo

and the fucking thing was sitting on the kitchen counter (yeah where you prepare food) staring at me.

*tries to imagine the picture*

:emotawesomepm9:

Well it's my flatmate's cat so she changes the litter tray. How often should you do it?

Daily. How often do you flush?

Yeah, well I'll have to have a word, she's not changing it even close to that frequently!

Well it's my flatmate's cat so she changes the litter tray. How often should you do it?

Daily. How often do you flush?

Yeah, well I'll have to have a word, she's not changing it even close to that frequently!

Hence why your flat stinks. relocate it in her bedroom closet (make sure you show kitty where it is) - she'll change it more often for sure! :emotawesomepm9:

not changing it daily is just cruel. why the fuck does she have a cat for anyway? she doesn't seem to care much if she's leaving it like that in its own filth.

I dunno, someone offered her a kitten and she took it home. She's a pro violinist and is often out of the country touring which means she left it with her previous flatmates for weeks/ months at a time... perhaps they abused it I dunno. Anyway, enough about the cat's sob story, I really couldn't care less- I'll just be happy if the house doesn't reek and I can eat my dinner without the fear of munching on bits of cat shit.

And to that end... this crystal litter, any good? She has some sandy stuff in the box at the moment. Google also tells me they don't like citrus smells and that wiping the surfaces with orange oil might put her off jumping up. True?

Fresh Step "with odor eliminating carbon" is good stuff, but the box needs to be changed every day, and if the flatmate isn't around to care for her cat, she really should try to get him adopted. That's fucking cruel, regardless of good intentions.

Guest futuregirlfriend

I dunno, someone offered her a kitten and she took it home. She's a pro violinist and is often out of the country touring which means she left it with her previous flatmates for weeks/ months at a time... perhaps they abused it I dunno. Anyway, enough about the cat's sob story, I really couldn't care less- I'll just be happy if the house doesn't reek and I can eat my dinner without the fear of munching on bits of cat shit.

Buddy film in the making. You'll start to become attached to the cat soon enough, especially if your housemate isn't really looking after it and you start taking proper care of it. Perhaps, though, it'd be better off if you found it a good owner and told your housemate it escaped.

And to that end... this crystal litter, any good? She has some sandy stuff in the box at the moment. Google also tells me they don't like citrus smells and that wiping the surfaces with orange oil might put her off jumping up. True?

Some cats don't like citrus smells, but that's not always true.

Look for any dust-free litter that has carbon, like Fresh Step. One that "clumps" is also good, as it makes removing the clumped urine and feces much easier with a sifter.

This works and is a helluva lot lighter to lug home from sainsburys.Dont even bother buying cheap happy shopper style litter unless you wanna empty a cement like,ammonia smelling tray full of shit every week.12747.jpg

This works and is a helluva lot lighter to lug home from sainsburys.Dont even bother buying cheap happy shopper style litter unless you wanna empty a cement like,ammonia smelling tray full of shit every week.12747.jpg

LOL @ "Bob Martin" brand cat litter!

Contrary to what venetian snares might think, cats are not cool. I came back from a half term holiday and walking through the front door was horrible. The whole flat reeks something awful. Carpets all torn up and stained and the fucking thing was sitting on the kitchen counter (yeah where you prepare food) staring at me. Had to buy carpet cleaner and a whole bunch of those expensive plug in air fresheners to make the place habitable again.

I reckon it knows that it's not supposed to be on the worksurfaces or the (very expensive looking) mahogany dinner table which belongs to the landlady, it's just a complete dickhead.

Is this what you're supposed to expect from a cat? I wouldn't even mind so much if it was in any way charming as an animal but the little bastard doesn't even let you pet it!

i haven't bothered reading the rest of the thread, but i would be surprised if this hasn't already been said.

i'm gonna say it anyway.

you are naive if you expected a cat (or indeed any animal) to respect the property in your living area.

cat's probably pissed the litter box isn't being changed.. or something to that effect. you have to give cats respect and they'll return it. dogs just sell out.

Archived