IGNORED

Moving

Blir

Hiiiiiii - Advice time

So I'm in a situation where I need to move out within the next four weeks. This was dropped in my lap the other day and due to my plans to be moving around February onwards it has left me financially a bit fucked.

Currently I don't know anyone who's looking to move out, due to being happy where they are or having recently moved themselves so it looks like I'm going it alone. Basically I'd like advice from any WATMMer who's done this before (preferably if they live in or just outside of the London area)...

At the moment it looks like getting either a studio/1 bedroom flat or do a house share type scenario... But I'm unsure how to play it. The way I see it, getting my own flat would be much more expensive, but will be my own home, privacy and all that. But doing a house share would be less my own space, but cheaper due to bills included and the adventure (I suppose) of meeting random new people. Money is kind of an issue - I take home about £1200 a month, so I'm hoping if possible to not spend more than £600 on rent and bills... I'm not sure how realistic this is though.

Share your stories, recommended areas to live, apathy etc etc.

I prefer to live by myself, but if it's about the money, then try to find a spot with someone else. Use craigslist if you can. It's great for apartment searching.

I wouldn't recommend living alone and paying half your wage to rent. If you can't find someone to live with, go for something cheap. Good locations are nice, but costly.

I don't know how your work situation is, but it will make things a lot more complicated if you ever got fired or decided you want to do something different. I've got a few friends in that situation (high rent, no savings) and they are stuck until they move back somewhere cheaper and build some savings.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I'd look for a house with other people in it. It can be tricky and seem hopeless sometimes but it is very possible to find reasonable people. It's cheaper and I think it's nice to live with people; you might find yourself wander in after a hard day being an angry IT guy and find someone passing you a beer and inviting you to join them in watching Jeff Bridges annecdotes on youtube. I mean sure you can do that on your own but you wouldn't, you'd end up on 4tube having a good old hand shandy, and you'd be paying at least a third more rent for that depressing life.

I wouldn't worry too much about location really. Some boroughs are extremely close to the city and you can still get fairly good rates. Being on your sort of wage I would definately go for a house share if you can find one. I was living with a girl a little while back in Finchley, house sharing with three others and that cost me around £500pm. The house was very nice and a great size. There is surprisingly a lot of decent dwellings about for sharing. You just need to spend time looking.

Good luck mate.

I'd look for a house with other people in it. It can be tricky and seem hopeless sometimes but it is very possible to find reasonable people. It's cheaper and I think it's nice to live with people; you might find yourself wander in after a hard day being an angry IT guy and find someone passing you a beer and inviting you to join them in watching Jeff Bridges annecdotes on youtube. I mean sure you can do that on your own but you wouldn't, you'd end up on 4tube having a good old hand shandy, and you'd be paying at least a third more rent for that depressing life.

LOL - I'm not angry! I'm as chilled as they come.

Cheers for the thoughts though duders, I'm getting some ideas and I'm going to organise some viewings tomorrow morning... Here's hoping I land somewhere at least half decent eh?

If you end up paying £600+ a month it'll be rubbish, I earn about the same as you and I pay £400 a month plus bills, and I find it easy to overspend anyway on luxuries like records, going out etc (I live with 3 other friends) and it's a bit of a struggle sometimes!

Also Coalbucket speaks good sense

Guest Coalbucket PI

My income is roughly the same as yours too but I'm in south Kent and I believe you to be in London. I'm paying £360 plus bills to have an enormous room I don't even need and it's a bitch being fucked for rent, it's the easiest way to piss away your paycheck. As soon as I fuck a few girls in my unnecessary double bed it might seem worthwhile but as it stands its just terrific hand shandies at cost price. they used to be free. FREE

My income is roughly the same as yours too but I'm in south Kent and I believe you to be in London. I'm paying £360 plus bills to have an enormous room I don't even need and it's a bitch being fucked for rent, it's the easiest way to piss away your paycheck. As soon as I fuck a few girls in my unnecessary double bed it might seem worthwhile but as it stands its just terrific hand shandies at cost price. they used to be free. FREE

masturbation is always free... wat/

Archived