IGNORED

Peter Christopherson

Atop

i sent him an email a year or two ago and he responded with a generous reply. im glad i got to tell him how much his music meant to me. throbbing gristle, coil, soisong and the threshold houseboys choir will continue to enrich my life for years to come. thanks unkle sleaz.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Greg Reason

Had a drink and a smoke tonight, being happy as he would want us to be

Saw that Boards of Canada posted a condolence on his myspace, and Ken from tBd posted on their forum about how Peter sent him CDs and a message to keep going after Plaid left

Had a drink and a smoke tonight, being happy as he would want us to be

Saw that Boards of Canada posted a condolence on his myspace, and Ken from tBd posted on their forum about how Peter sent him CDs and a message to keep going after Plaid left

I saw that. Thanks Peter for keeping tBD alive :flower:

Guest Greg Reason

Yes, my goodbyes are there along with Chris, Cosey, Danny, Ivan, Bee and so many others

There are a number of individual tributes up now:

Chris Carter

Cosey Fanni-Tutti

TG

SoiSong

Danny Hyde

David Tibet/C93

Brainwashed

Ivan has stated on the SoiSong myspace that he (and his mysterious helpers in SoiSong) would continue and complete the work they had started with Sleaz, which is fucking great news indeed. The last thing I want to hear right now would be that all the doors were closed.

I hope that TG and Danny Hyde can follow suit and finish Desertshore, and that perhaps even Danny can arrange to have the expanded Moon's Milk finally issued.... I know it will be hard for them to carry on, but I hope that they can go back to the work with a mind to presenting the final things he was working on.

I've wanted to listen to Coil for a while now... their material is so vast I don't know where to start to be honest...

Whats a good album to start with, or a compilation even? I feel I owe it to them since they influenced so many artists I listen to.

It sounds like Peter was much loved by his fans and band members alike. RIP bro

ooh, im not a GIGANTIC coil fan, but i can certainly give you some recs:

my personal favorite is their second? album Horse Rotorvator....songs like Slur, Ostia, and Penetralia are fantastic and pretty epic, dark, but fairly accessible....its almost like industro-pop if one could use that phrase.

others worth mention are

Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1 and 2 (more ambient/spoken word pieces)

How to Destroy Angels (a bunch of mixes and the original, very droney)

Red Light District

Music for Films Vol.1, and maybe 3 for Baby Food

Love's Secret Domain (their most "poppy", mixes a lot of techno/triphop/ambient elements which just seem to work)

Backwards and Red Antlers are my favorite of their later period material

Guest the anonymous forumite

Who knew this ??? I didn't.

Filmography

Music video as director

* Marc Almond - "Waifs and Strays", "Tainted Love '91", and "Say Hello Wave Goodbye '91"

* Björn Again - "A Little Respect"

* Jerry Cantrell - "Cut You In"

* Coil - "The Wheel", "Tainted Love", "Windowpane", "The Snow (Answers Come In Dreams II)", "Love's Secret Domain"

* The Crystal Method - "Comin' Back"

* Erasure - "Chains of Love", "A Little Respect", "Stop"

* The Firm - "Radioactive", "All The King's Horses", "Satisfaction Guaranteed"

* Gavin Friday - "Falling off the Edge of the World"

* Filter - "Welcome to the Fold"

* Front 242 - "Rhythm of Time"

* Diamanda Galás - "Double Barrel Prayer"

* Gemini - "Another You Another Me"

* Barry Gibb - "Now Voyager" (long form made-for-television music film)

* Hanson - "I Will Come to You"

* Nona Hendryx - (track unknown)

* K's Choice - "Not an Addict" (live version), "Everything for Free"

* The Law - "We Are the Law"

* Magnum - (track unknown)

* Paul McCartney - "Going Home (From Rio to Liverpool)"

* Ministry - "N.W.O.", "Just One Fix", "Over the Shoulder"

* Nine Inch Nails - The Broken Movie ("Pinion", "Wish", "Help Me I Am in Hell", "Gave Up"), "March of the Pigs" (two versions: one officially released, with clips of the scrapped version available on the Closure DVD)

* Robert Plant - "Tall Cool One"

* Rage Against the Machine - "Freedom", "Killing in the Name", "Bombtrack", "Bulls on Parade", "People of the Sun"

* Rollins Band - "Illumination"

* Senser - "Age of Panic"

* Sepultura - "Refuse/Resist"

* Silverchair - "Pure Massacre"

* Stabbing Westward - "Lies"

* 10cc - (track unknown)

* The The - "Infected", "The Mercy Beat", "Heartland"

* The Threshold HouseBoy's Choir - "Mahil Athal Nadrach", "So Young It Known No Maturing", and other videos from the album Form Goes Rampant.

* 3 lb. Thrill - "Something Will Come"

* The Wildhearts - "Suckerpunch"

* Van Halen - "Don't Tell Me", "Can't Stop Lovin' You"

* Jah Wobble - "Becoming More Like God"

* Yes - "Owner of a Lonely Heart"[5]

its how he made his living for quite some time..

was doing a bit of reading and found this amusing. in regards to his work with hipgnosis:

"Peter had a habit of surprising Storm and me with his particular outlook on life," recalls Hipgnosis' Aubrey Powell in the 2008 book For The Love of Vinyl: The Album Art of Hipgnosis. "Hipgnosis were once asked to design a cover for Paul McCartney for his album Tug Of War," he continues. "You couldn’t find a more conservative fellow in the album cover department than Paul McCartney yet, knowing this, Peter presented a picture, beautifully crafted, of a man hanging himself, surrounded in gold leaf, in the style of Gustav Klimt. Paul said politely, “Just not my image.” Pity, as it would have been a brave move. I think I got a bit of stick too, for being audacious enough to show that idea to Paul."

tugofwar_1.jpg

Guest margaret thatcher

i have only just found out about this - been on an internet exile for a while.

i am greatly saddened. i was at the last ever tg show, only a month ago, an experience never to be repeated.

he looked extremely happy. after they performed for an hour and 45 mins or so, peter came back onto the stage, and apologised for the lack of encore, being very jetlagged.

then he said "oh, go on then", and they performed discipline.

its mildly irritating to see how many times Sasha Grey's name is mentioned in press mentions of Peter Christopherson. I remember once on the Coil mailing list that people had the assumption that PC was behind most of the music in Coil, Jhon came on the list to set everybody straight and actually identified a bunch of Coil songs that were just Jhon solo. I wish i could find that posting now, it would be interesting to know which tracks were by both, pc or just jhon.

This Mortal Coil: A Final Report on Peter “Sleazy” Christopherson

Peter “Sleazy” Christopherson, who in the ’80s pioneered the industrial aesthetic with the band Throbbing Gristle, died in his sleep at his home in Bangkok on November 24. He was 55.

NOV. 29, 2010 By MARK DERY

I REMEMBER THE ’80s. I remember reading about the New Romantics in Rolling Stone, sniggering at the silliness of the French-poodle quiffs and the geometric maquillage that turned nightclubbers’ faces into Russian Constructivist paintings but thrilling, nonetheless, to the return, after what felt like 40 years’ exile in the wastelands of punk’s squatter style, of glam. (With Bowie’s benediction, no less. For his “Ashes to Ashes” video, he lifted Steve Strange’s Pierrot costume and recruited the Blitz Kids as extras.) I remember leafing, with a sort of rapt contempt, through Face cover stories that split the difference between breathlessness and bored hauteur, assuring us on the other side of the red-velvet VIP rope that Haysi Fantayzee or Blue Rondo à la Turk or Blancmange or Bronski Beat or Rip Rig + Panic or [fill in the blank] was—yawn—the Next Big Thing. I remember a Face feature that took readers on a guided tour of August “Kid Creole” Darnell’s wardrobe, fondling his vintage suits, oggling his hand-painted 1940s’ neckties. I remember wearing a silver sharkskin suit, blindingly white Capezios (I retouched any smudges with White-Out), and a pink leopardskin tie from Fiorucci’s to Depeche Mode’s first gig in L.A., doing that electro-pop dance move everyone was doing then, cheeks sucked in like one of those mirrorshaded models in a Nagel poster, arms bent at the elbow, swiveling from the waist up, feet nailed to the floor, while the band played “Just Can’t Get Enough.” I remember moving to San Francisco in the summer of ‘82, after graduating from college in Los Angeles, writing for little magazines with names like Poetry Flash and Art Com, walking home late one night after tending bar in a South-of-Market performance-art space (never an art “gallery,” always an art “space”), shuffling through snowdrifts of X-rated fortune-cookie slips disgorged by some loosely tied trashbags. I remember watching Deborah Iyall of Romeo Void, in a rented room so small you could barely wave your elbows, ironing her wedding dress. I remember how, before the Net—before the personal computer, in any real sense—magazines were the catacombs of cool, a subterranean network connecting kids who felt marooned in the tract-home desolation rows of suburbia with subcultural trends and weirdos like themselves. I remember the pre-Web sense of isolation from like minds, that Bruce Dern-in-Silent Running feeling of deep-space alienation that came from being the only kid in your high school who loathed jockdom and the bong-erati, the only one who’d rather sit in his room listening to Patti Smith’s Radio Ethiopia than go to the homecoming dance—a state of mind summed up by a poster for the L.A. punk band The Weirdos, a détourned comic-strip panel featuring a spiky haired, Raybanned guy saying, “Just think of it, Ellen—a world full of weirdos!” To which Ellen replies, “That would be wonderful…” I remember discovering Re/Search magazine’s “Industrial Culture” issue, with its grainy black-and-white photos of a band with the incomparable name of Throbbing Gristle, a band unlike any I’d ever read about in Creem or Circus or Rolling Stone, a band whose idea of a promo photo was recreating an archival image of the Manson family huddled in a cave at Spahn ranch, a band whose idea of a day off was taking William Burroughs target shooting, a band whose brain-stretchingly erudite, reference-studded interviews were a graduate seminar unto themselves, ricocheting with references to Situationism and sadomasochism, Surrealism and survivalism, the Viennese Aktionists and the Moors murderers, muzak and mind control, mail art and something called The Colour Atlas of Forensic Pathology, Nazi occultism and how to listen to Abba “against the grain,” with ears warped by irony. For industrial aesthetes, “access to information” was mission-critical, Jon Savage wrote, in his introduction. “The struggle for control” [in the Burroughsian sense of social control through mass media] “was now not territorial but communicatory.” Music, to TG, was just another media channel, “a vehicle for the transmission of information,” says Simon Reynolds in his book Rip It Up and Start Again: Postpunk 1978-1984, noting that if you took that philosophy literally, “there was a sense in which one might as well skip the records and just read the eloquent interviews…” Here was a world where the insurgent intellect was cool, where forbidden knowledge was coin of the realm—a world full of weirdos! The industrial aesthetic had come to kill hippie dead and beat on it—and not a minute too soon in a state that, in 1982, still reeked to heaven of patchouli and Spiritual Sky incense, and in a city awash in toxic runoff from the Summer of Love: Deadheads, New Agers, kooktopian commune-dwellers, love-bombed cultists, trust-fund votaries of saffron-robed shysters. “By ‘industrial,’ we mean the grim side of post-Industrial Revolution society—the repressed mythology, history, science, technology, and psychopathology,” wrote Re/Search editor V. Vale, in his preface to the Industrial Culture Handbook, making the grim side sound like a nice place to live, intellectually. Throbbing Gristle were the house band for postpunk’s cultural unconscious. Ballardian and Burroughsian to the core, they made the first truly post-industrial music; unmoored from any roots in the Afro-American blues tradition that anchored Rock as We Knew It, TG made sonic statements—sound as information—that, like Ballard’s Crash and Burroughs’s Nova Trilogy, responded to the media landscape and the built environment around them, anatomizing the posthuman psychology and social pathologies native to these environments. Mordant observers of “the savage realities of fading capitalism,” Throbbing Gristle were “writing about the future by looking at today,” says vocalist Genesis P-Orridge, in Rip It Up and Start Again. The band had “moved beyond the agrarian blues roots of rock and created a new kind of music (or antimusic) appropriate to postindustrial society,” writes Reynolds. I remember insinuating my starstruck twentysomething self into the inner circle of Re/Search magazine and being told at dinner by one of the editors, without a hint of irony, “The coolest people in America are right here at this table!” I remember moving in 1983 to New York, an island whose teeming millions of hipsters begged to differ with the Re/Search editor, and interviewing the poet John Giorno in the legendary windowless basement apartment where Burroughs had lived (“the Bunker”), drinking tumblers filled to the brim with vodka in a former YMCA shower room that Burroughs liked to say was haunted by the nude ghosts of wild boys, and waking up with a start, stupefied in my chair, in the small hours of the morning, the interview presumably over. I remember summiting a Kilimanjaro of cocaine with Nick Rhodes, the impossibly pretty keyboardist for Duran Duran, in a bathroom stall at Nell’s, a swank nightclub run by Little Nell of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. (I was nobody; I just happened to have a friend with a magically inexhaustible vial of coke.) I remember subjecting Rhodes to a lapel-grabbing, evangelical sermon on the genuis of Brian Eno, my astonishment growing by the minute as the keyboardist, taking the piss out of me with his best poker face, insisted that, no, he’d never heard of Eno. (I tell you these things not because they embroider my storied history, but to give you a thick description of the ’80s—to help you feel the texture of everyday life in that fulsome decade.) I remember finagling an interview with Peter “Sleazy” Christopherson, formerly of Throbbing Gristle, on the release of his band Coil’s album Horse Rotorvator—for the gearhead trade magazine Keyboard, ridiculously enough—because I simply had to interview a man named Sleazy whose record included songs with titles like “The Anal Staircase” and “Blood From the Air,” not to mention a goose-pimply, black-mass desecration of Leonard Cohen’s existentialist kaddish for suicides, “Who By Fire”:

And who by brave assent, who by accident,

who in solitude, who in this mirror,

who by his lady’s command, who by his own hand,

who in mortal chains, who in power,

and who shall I say is calling?

I remember interviewing him in the Broome Street Bar, in Soho. He was softspoken, diffident, with a coruscating intelligence and a sense of humor dry as bone dust. With his talk of sex magick and blood sacrifice, anal staircases and tape recordings of “this little kid laughing and saying things like, ‘My legs are starting to sweat,’” I found him genially, discreetly depraved. Which, then as now, impressed me no end.

Coil: The Darker Side Of Sampling

From Keyboard magazine, July 1987

Mark Dery

LONG BEFORE the verb was coined, Coil keyboardist Peter Christopherson started sampling.

As the tape player for Throbbing Gristle (a proto-industrial group whose music mixed boom-chuck machine rhythms, perky melodies, and mordant lyrics), Christopherson used a jury-rigged one-octave keyboard to trigger Sony stereo cassette decks. With it, he added shadows to such TG tunes as ‘Persuasion’ (Twenty Jazz Funk Greats), in which taped voices of kiddies at play underscore flatly intoned lyrics about a man who’s “got a little biscuit tin/to keep your panties in.”

“It was a box that [TG synthesist] Chris Carter made for me, to my design,” Christopherson recalls, “that basically switched on and off – through inputs on tape recorders – six cassette machines, the output of each going to a different key. Many of the machines I used in TG were cassette machines that were stripped down and altered to play backward and forward and four tracks at once, the speed variable by flywheels. The very first sampling device there ever was, as far as I know, was manufactured by Mountain Hardware for Apple computers. It was designed to reproduce voice samples, and had a very limited selection of pitches. I was using that onstage in ‘79 or ‘80, which was before the first Fairlight was used commercially. So I’ve always had a soft spot for sampling.”

That soft spot popped up in Christopherson’s work with Psychic TV, after Throbbing Gristle split up, and has become almost a raison d’etre in his current project, Coil, which formed around 1983. Strictly a studio band, Coil comprises himself and lyricist John Balance, who sings and plays Chapman Stick and some keyboards. They get an occasional hand from Steven E. Thrower, who mainly plays drums and brass.

Coil’s latest, Horse Rotorvator, hodgepodges Fairlight brass, sniff-clank percussion, Gregorian choirs, and lyrics about death, sex, and divine cannibalism. The real star, though, is Christopherson’s sampling. “In ‘Ostia’,” he informs, “there’s a recording of some grasshoppers that we made at Chichen Itza in Mexico. Chichen Itza is a pyramid that was used for the sacrifice of young men. Blood flowed down the steps of the pyramid and made it impossible to climb up.” The murmuring insects add atmosphere to the song, whose jumping-off point is the life and death of Pasolini, the Italian film director who was murdered by a “rent-boy” in Ostia, Italy.

The story behind the background scuffles and squeals on ‘The Anal Staircase’ is equally odd. “A tape was sent to us by a guy who’s sort of a fan of ours,” Christopherson says. “It’s the sound of him playing with his son. But because of the title of the song and the rather explicit nature of some of the lyrics, we thought it would be interesting to counterpoint the tape’s harmless sound with a lyric that had other overtones, to see if it would change the listener’s perception of this little kid laughing and saying things like, ‘My legs are starting to sweat.’ Immediately one begins to think that there’s something going on, some sort of torture scene.” As if that weren’t weirdness enough for one song, Christopherson adds with a chuckle, “the basic loop is a section of ‘The Rite Of Spring’ backward and upside-down, and at a quarter of the pitch. Somebody actually once told me that they recognized it.”

Making Stravinsky turn back-flips might sound a little theatrical, but that’s just the point. Coil strives for what Christopherson calls “a ‘big movie theater’ ambience”: a spacious, symphonic sound that echoes to the soundtracks of Arthurian romances, biblical epics, or old Steve Reeves movies. “We’ve always liked movies about Turkish prisons and Roman galleys,” Christopherson says. “Most contemporary music draws its imagery from the past 30 years, going back to the ’50s. But there’s a whole wealth of imagery from earlier times that’s fascinating to draw from.” Such Coil songs as ‘Slur’, ‘Ostia’, and ‘The Golden Section’ – with its clopping horses, voiced-over narration, and chanting galley slaves – are straight out of Cecil B. deMille.

Balance’s lyrics are also cinematic. Some songs were pieced together imagistically, like movie storyboards – such as ‘Blood From The Air’, a musical evocation, Christopherson says, of “something John read about a schizophrenic who lived in Alaska.” The song was “constructed by us just imagining a film in our heads about somebody walking through a very cold landscape and occasionally having mental attacks.”

Theatrics aside, Coil’s music has some decidedly down-to-earth aspects – namely, the hardware Christopherson uses. “Apart from the guitars and brass instruments and some live strings mixed with Fairlight III strings, everything else on Horse Rotorvator is artificial,” he notes. “Quite a lot of those sounds were created using an Emulator II function to destroy the original sample and produce something else. I used the VCAs and VCFs to do real-time modulation of the original sample.” The Emulator II also played a starring role in the songwriting. “The initial sequences consisted of multi-tracked sample combinations done on the Emulator,” he explains. “In most cases, what I did was download those sequences into a Fairlight by means of the MIDI output. You can edit much more easily on a Fairlight than on an Emulator.”

To avoid the android stiffness of sequence-based songwriting, Christopherson and company “try and con the machines into doing what we want, even though sometimes the machines weren’t designed to do that.” For Horse Rotorvator, the conned machines include a Fairlight II and III for sequencing and editing, Emulator II as the main sound generator, Yamaha DX7, PPG Wave 2.2, and an EMS Synthi for the heavy, distorted sounds. “The Synthi,” Christopherson says, “was like a portable version of their VCS-3, from ‘72. It has a collection of VCAs and ring modulators. The way you connect the oscillators and filters is via a matrix board, where you put pins in to make the connections.” Additional artillery included “a few old Woolworth’s-type flangers and distortion pedals.”

But don’t be fooled by all the bits and bytes. Coil are not master musicians. “I can’t really play properly,” Christopherson asserts blithely. “None of us can really play in the conventional sense.”

For once, that old hokum about players “painting with sound” rings true. An artist whose bread and butter comes from directing TV commercials and pop videos (spots for the Firm and The The are among his recent credits), Christopherson composes Coil songs visually rather than musically. “As long as I can remember, I’ve approached music from a visual point of view,” he says. “Any technique that you can apply to a film, you can also apply to a piece of music. Our tunes that start off with a sort of film script or filmic picture are much more successful than the songs that start with a riff or bass line or conventional musical cue.”

Let other bands write songs; Coil makes ear movies.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2010/this-mortal-coil-a-final-report-on-peter-sleazy-christopherson/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Babaluma

I was very gutted to hear this. those that know me, know that I have been a huge Coil fan for many many years, and that they have had the largest influence on me, my music, and the way I try to live (and love) my life. They will be sorely missed. John and Peter RIP.

• 4 weeks later...

From Surgeon's blogspot

The first hour of my DJ set at Bleep43 on December 3rd was a tribute to Peter Christopherson, who died on November 25th.

I chose tracks that either featured his voice, or that I especially connected with him.

Many people have asked me about the set and if it was recorded, so I've decided to make it available.

Recorded at Corsica Studios, London, between 11pm and Midnight on December 3rd, 2010.

Coil Vs. ELpH - pHILM #1

CoH & Coil - My Angel (Director's Cut)

Coil - Moon's Milk Or Under An Unquiet Skull (Part 2)

Coil - Various Hands

Coil - Red Weather

Coil - Cardinal Points

Coil - At The Heart Of It All

COH - Silence Is Golden (voice Peter Christopherson)

Coil - Are You Shivering?

Coil - Going Up

Coil - The Hills Are Alive

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hof80q

Guest Greg Reason

Gen finally offers his condolences

OUR DEAR AND HEARTLOVED COUMPANION IN CREATION…Peter Martin “Sleazy” Christopherson, who chose to drop his body on November 24th 2010, laid at rest and then was cremated in Bangkok 7 days later. We feel consoled and comforted to know that another very dear friend BEE (who lives in Bangkok) was able to be there, as was JENKS.

Apart from participating in the vigil as loving representatives of us all, Bee took these photographs as a memorial document. In our grief, we naturally crave evidence to fulfill our inescapable need to believe something that seems to be an irreversible finality cannot TRULY be so. And, of course, our gift from Sleazy is one we can see all around us.Thousands of flowerings of empathy and love. Each of us taking that facet of Sleazy that is most precious to our personal understanding of him and amplifying it within our own mind, through Creation, adding our own frequencies to those of Sleazy so that his most favorite of Nature’s elements may grow ever brighter, ever purer and ever whiter…LIGHT! -BREYER P-ORRIDGE nyc 2010

and Jhonn's boyfriend Ian Johnstone posted this:

Death brought Sleazy and me together, closely, for the first time and changed our lives irreversibly. I knew Sleaze as a sweet, lovely, generous, patient, and amazingly self assured man. He lived his life without compromise, from a great understanding and ease with himself it seemed. He was a beautifull soul, adorable and easy to love.

Caligulian in all his proportions, he indulged in life deeply. Sleaze was someone to learn from. I imagine he died as he lived: without regrets, the taste of life still tingling in his mouth. Content.

Too soon , as always.

AVE SLEAZY

R.I.P.

From Surgeon's blogspot

The first hour of my DJ set at Bleep43 on December 3rd was a tribute to Peter Christopherson, who died on November 25th.

I chose tracks that either featured his voice, or that I especially connected with him.

Many people have asked me about the set and if it was recorded, so I've decided to make it available.

Recorded at Corsica Studios, London, between 11pm and Midnight on December 3rd, 2010.

Coil Vs. ELpH - pHILM #1

CoH & Coil - My Angel (Director's Cut)

Coil - Moon's Milk Or Under An Unquiet Skull (Part 2)

Coil - Various Hands

Coil - Red Weather

Coil - Cardinal Points

Coil - At The Heart Of It All

COH - Silence Is Golden (voice Peter Christopherson)

Coil - Are You Shivering?

Coil - Going Up

Coil - The Hills Are Alive

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hof80q

this is an absolutely gorgeous mix. for anyone looking for an introduction to coil etc. (and i am relatively noob to coil myself), i can't recommend this enough.

Guest Billov

this is an absolutely gorgeous mix. for anyone looking for an introduction to coil etc. (and i am relatively noob to coil myself), i can't recommend this enough.

Was about to drop a comment saying this is just what I was looking for, thanks

Archived