IGNORED

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Atop

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

anyway this made me pretty angry - as it's clearly one of the greatest novels ever wrtitten - but i'd say the problem comes down to lazy TEACHING rather than lazy parenting.

but ultimately it's the responsibility of the parent, not the teacher. i mean i think realistically it's a combination of the 2.

Lazy teaching, lazy parenting... who gives a fuck... how about we just DON'T CENSOR BOOKS!!!

I'm getting sick of these fucking retards dragging everyone down to their level. I don't care who is offended by the word Nigger. Mark Twain didn't write this novel so assfucks in 2011 wouldn't wring their hands over some naughty language.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no, you don't replace the word, you teach the context. you open up a discussion about the word and its usage. this is just lazy american whitewashing of anything that might upset special interest groups or parents who shouldn't have had children in the first place.

I wasn't serious about replacing the word and I agree with the lazy American sentiment as I said in my previous post...

Blame the school boards and white southerners who can't cope with their past.

Indeed

no, you don't replace the word, you teach the context. you open up a discussion about the word and its usage.

no. Either you can teach the word or you cant. Plain and simple. You risk losing your job if you teach banned material. The banning of the book is what you should('ve) be(en) complaining about. Not this new version. I also really dont get why people think gratuitous use of the n word is necessary to the reading of this book for a discussion on prejudice and slavery. People should know the word and its context, but why does it need to be thrown at you more than a hundred times from mark twain to make you understand it?

Yeah I don't agree with banning or censoring any art...

Mark Twain didn't write this novel so assfucks in 2011 wouldn't wring their hands over some naughty language.

a great response to 42Orange's last sentence...

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

I'm just pissed off because the SeaNiggers are in the process of prolonging the biggest travesty in the history of the NFL

no, you don't replace the word, you teach the context. you open up a discussion about the word and its usage. this is just lazy american whitewashing of anything that might upset special interest groups or parents who shouldn't have had children in the first place.

I was being sarcastic, wasnt that abundantly clear. I was making fun of this stupid fucking nannyism.

I was being sarcastic, wasnt that abundantly clear. I was making fun of this stupid fucking nannyism.

i wasn't responding to your quote.

nannyism

no, you don't replace the word, you teach the context. you open up a discussion about the word and its usage.

no. Either you can teach the word or you cant. Plain and simple. You risk losing your job if you teach banned material. The banning of the book is what you should('ve) be(en) complaining about. Not this new version. I also really dont get why people think gratuitous use of the n word is necessary to the reading of this book for a discussion on prejudice and slavery. People should know the word and its context, but why does it need to be thrown at you more than a hundred times from mark twain to make you understand it?

well...no actually. censorship, whether you personally think there's "gratuitous" use of the word, is not acceptable in a so called free society. banning the book is a form of censorship, and so is changing a word that certain people are offended by. when i say "discuss the context" i mean discuss the word in context. it's not a matter of whether it "needs" to be thrown at you hundreds of times. that's a choice made by a writer and no real teacher (or educational system) should prohibit discussion of that choice.

I think it would be hilarious if someone made a very effective computer virus that did absolutely nothing but replaced a certain word on everyone's computer with that word, but it without any context it would just suck anyway. It would have to be the right word that is replaced so that everyone knows the intent, like 'politically correct' etc.

republican

please watmm we must do this

Edit:

The _________ Party

_________ Convention

this is sacrilegious! changing huckleberry finn is like changing the original gospels in and outside the bible when something offends the delicate little sensibilities! do people actually think that maybe it's supposed to be in there

so all that read it will see it and then have the option to wake the fuck up!? have these horse arses ever heard of accurate documentation of an era? can't just scribble something out that happened

because you don't like it, because you want to cover your eyes and not see it, it should remain for all to see and decide for themselves!

there is a gross minority in america that is still righteous and true, the others can eat a dick!

fuck!

Guest hahathhat

indeed, and surprised at the amount of fuckwords in your post, angry TROON is intense

what's the point in doing the font if you do it every time? use it selectively, when it matters. or i'll come 'round with a brick, 'cos it's fucking annoying. :emotawesomepm9:

this is Amurcah! We can do anything we want! Even fuck with our own national treasures. BECAUSE!

It's fitting that but note that the recent congressional reading of the U.S. Constitution on the floor specifically skipped over the 3/5 compromise. I guess the red-blooded, angry patriots finally embraced some form of the "political correctness" they love to hate. :emotawesomepm9:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2011/01/huck_finning_the_constitution.html

you live your life and I will live mine....

well we're having to live your life with you apparently. it is annoying, but i can't complain about how things are written, i don't exactly have the best background from which to ground my authority to complain, where this topic is concerned. Still though, i didn't giant font everything.

Auburn University's publishing company is changing the text...

Surely theres some law against desecration of art. This is so fuckin' stupid.

yeah surely there must be some law against editing things you have every right to edit. What would this world be if we just let anyone do anything they want with our treasured works of art

Waterlilies-Banksy-Graffiti-Art.jpg

why... someone could replace the soundtrack of metropolis with some sort of disgusting techno music and thered be no one to stop the gross injustice! Someone could put a rap acapella over the American national anthem! There really ought to be a law! Soon theyll be removing the dirty language and questionable content from classic films for broadcast on television! How would i decide for myself which versions to consume?

I think you missed the point. Censoring one word and leaving the rest the same doesnt change the artistic merit of the piece, its simple tampering.

EDIT: Also the fact that theyre going to publish and sell this piece of shit.

you live your life and I will live mine....

well we're having to live your life with you apparently. it is annoying, but i can't complain about how things are written, i don't exactly have the best background from which to ground my authority to complain, where this topic is concerned. Still though, i didn't giant font everything.

yeop..

I'm getting sick of these fucking retards dragging everyone down to their level. I don't care who is offended by the word Nigger.

yeop ..

YEOP

yeah, you really have no right to complain about the way I present threads, and just because you are a moderator now don't start paying attention to what I say now because you never have/and definitely don't start messing with me....we have suffered through year after year of trying to decipher what you say. It was never fun. And I never complained.

this thread isn't about the way I write

Archived