IGNORED

Hype Williams - One Nation

Redruth

Hype Williams - One Nation

One Nation is due for release in March by Hippos In Tanks, and follows hot on the heels of the duo’s acclaimed 2010 LPs,

Untitled and Find Out What Happens When People Stop Being Polite, And Start Gettin’ Reel, which came out on

Carnivals and De Stijl respectively. Not much else is known about the newbie at this stage;

the “trailer” below is just a tease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAik7jlZdqg

hype williams

hippos in tanks

FACT

I don't really get the hype (williams?). Tried everything they've put out so far and it just sounds like shitty lo-fi loops to me for the most part. I liked the chopped and screwed Drake track, that was pretty good, but maybe I'm missing something.

I don't really get the hype (williams?). Tried everything they've put out so far and it just sounds like shitty lo-fi loops to me for the most part. I liked the chopped and screwed Drake track, that was pretty good, but maybe I'm missing something.

eh you're probably not missing anything—it's just a matter of opinion at that point. it's not complex or mysterious music really, just lo-fi, lightly chopped, hip hop and R&B-influenced stuff. i kind of feel the way you feel, but about witch house.

that being said i just dropped $20 for two hype williams 7" releases. dang.

btw tons of slightly older hype williams stuff available at archive.org—used to have a lot more freeform improv elements—the whole lo-fi loop music only became the primary style after a few releases apparently.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this release is MUCH MUCH MUCH more accessible than anything they've done before. think twoism/hi-scores screwed&schopped...

Did this leak I can't seem to find it anywhere?

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened, some of this still sounds like lo-fi loopy filler like I found most of the first two albums to be. However, this is a much stronger releases in my opinion. The description of chopped and screwed BOC is pretty apt, there are some gorgeous moments on here. Mitsubishi is the standout on my first listen, absolutely beautiful, this seems like a much more focused effort. Interested to hear if they improve on their sound even more in the future.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

listening now. to be honest it all sounds a bit too cool

although saying that - mitsubishi and unfaithful i did enjoy

Archived