IGNORED

amstedizzle

Guest A/D

don't do anything, walking down the street there costs a whole wallet full of euros.

maybe find an aldi and get some cheap beer sit in vondelpark and smoke hash oil till you go insane.

oh yeah the rembrandthuis (rembrandt's house) in between waterlooplein and rembrandtsplein is very cool

this and exploring the canals by boat are the only positive memories I have of Amsterdam. well, that and the weather, which was cold but nice and held out from rain.

I had a great time at the pianola museum (http://www.pianola.nl/Pianola_Museum/Homepage.html) as well as some of the classics, like the Van Gogh museum. I loved the atmosphere for a city - energetic but peaceful, relaxed but competent. Maybe it's different living there, I wouldn't know. Very pleasant to walk around in West and get some stroopwaffel or whatever. I wouldn't mind living there for a year or two.

So I'm not the one to ask for the best tourist hangouts, that's already been posted anyway. Whatever you do, skip the Anne Frank house in any case. Unless you like hour long lines and looking at empty walls.

For drinking great beers, go to In De Wildeman. For buying great beers, go to Bierkoning. For the best burgers in town, go to Burger Bar (next to Wildeman, both close to Central Station) or Burgermeester. Another fave restaurants of mine are Kantjil & De Tijger (Indonesian food).

For buying music, go to Rush Hour / Concerto / Recordfriend (vinyl only) / Distortion Records. For clubbing, try before mentioned Trouw or Studio 80. For alternative music you could try OCCII. And depending on what is playing, Paradiso, Melkweg or Bitterzoet could be nice too, mostly a bit mainstream though. Don't mind what you're wearing, it's not like Berghain.

Museums to check out: van Gogh museum, Hermitage and of course Artis. If you want to chill out with plants, Hortus Botanicus.

Places you could check out: Amsterdam Roest (artificial city beach near Central station, pretty creative place, functions as a club too), Cafe Noorderlicht (in Amsterdam Noord, take the free ferry behind Central Station, lots more creative stuff over at NDSM Werf, as well as some parties, the hipster place to be these days) and of course Vondelpark.

And maybe mister Ross 154 / Newworldaquarium could also help you :)

So I'm not the one to ask for the best tourist hangouts, that's already been posted anyway. Whatever you do, skip the Anne Frank house in any case. Unless you like hour long lines and looking at empty walls.

For drinking great beers, go to In De Wildeman. For buying great beers, go to Bierkoning. For the best burgers in town, go to Burger Bar (next to Wildeman, both close to Central Station) or Burgermeester. Another fave restaurants of mine are Kantjil & De Tijger (Indonesian food).

For buying music, go to Rush Hour / Concerto / Recordfriend (vinyl only) / Distortion Records. For clubbing, try before mentioned Trouw or Studio 80. For alternative music you could try OCCII. And depending on what is playing, Paradiso, Melkweg or Bitterzoet could be nice too, mostly a bit mainstream though. Don't mind what you're wearing, it's not like Berghain.

Museums to check out: van Gogh museum, Hermitage and of course Artis. If you want to chill out with plants, Hortus Botanicus.

Places you could check out: Amsterdam Roest (artificial city beach near Central station, pretty creative place, functions as a club too), Cafe Noorderlicht (in Amsterdam Noord, take the free ferry behind Central Station, lots more creative stuff over at NDSM Werf, as well as some parties, the hipster place to be these days) and of course Vondelpark.

nice one mate, that's great. so trainers jeans and t-shirt would be fine for trouw or need to be smarter?

I was there a few weeks ago, some recommendations of things worth seeing at the moment in the dam:

- As someone said earlier, behind central station leave free ferries. Take the one to ndsm-werf. You'll have a nice view of the city and will end up in a Berlin like place. Stroll around and make sure you sneak into one of the big factory buildings. All kinds of artists work there. And: find your way to a bar called pllek. Made from old sea containers, overlooking the ij. It's to the right when you leave the ferry. Also, noorderlicht is a nice cafe.
-in the pijlsteeg, a narrow street behind dam square, there is a liquor place called wijnand and fokking (so Dutch). Since 16 something you can drink poetic liquors there. Like tears of a bride or bitter taste of comfort. There's no music, just a bunch of old locals.
-go to the noordermarkt and then to a cafe called winkel. They serve the best apple pie in town, with cream.
And if you want to see another very old cafe, follow the street in the direction of the church and on the other corner you will find it. A very tall blonde lady who is serious as you like and a short fat guy usually run the place.
Also can drop your bag off in free lockers in the Eye cinema if you need to lug them around before your flight leaves.

nice one mate, that's great. so trainers jeans and t-shirt would be fine for trouw or need to be smarter?

Yeah, why not? Never heard of anyone being refused in Trouw because of clothing. I just looked up the rules on their site and it says they support the wearing of 'exuberant or creative clothing'. and only maybe refuse someone if they are wearing a suit, uniform or something too posh :)

ahh FEBO.... mmmm vending machine kroket. so wrong but so right.

Haha, too wrong for me. I never go there, except when I have no choice :)

I was there a few weeks ago, some recommendations of things worth seeing at the moment in the dam:

- As someone said earlier, behind central station leave free ferries. Take the one to ndsm-werf. You'll have a nice view of the city and will end up in a Berlin like place. Stroll around and make sure you sneak into one of the big factory buildings. All kinds of artists work there. And: find your way to a bar called pllek. Made from old sea containers, overlooking the ij. It's to the right when you leave the ferry. Also, noorderlicht is a nice cafe.
-in the pijlsteeg, a narrow street behind dam square, there is a liquor place called wijnand and fokking (so Dutch). Since 16 something you can drink poetic liquors there. Like tears of a bride or bitter taste of comfort. There's no music, just a bunch of old locals.
-go to the noordermarkt and then to a cafe called winkel. They serve the best apple pie in town, with cream.
And if you want to see another very old cafe, follow the street in the direction of the church and on the other corner you will find it. A very tall blonde lady who is serious as you like and a short fat guy usually run the place.
Also can drop your bag off in free lockers in the Eye cinema if you need to lug them around before your flight leaves.

The church? Which one? There are more than a few I'd say... The oldest cafe in Amsterdam is called In 't Aepjen, one of two remaining authentic wooden buildings from the 16th century. But yeah, NDSM werf is worth a shot. Pijlsteeg too!

Yeah, why not? Never heard of anyone being refused in Trouw because of clothing. I just looked up the rules on their site and it says they support the wearing of 'exuberant or creative clothing'. and only maybe refuse someone if they are wearing a suit, uniform or something too posh :)

So i wouldn't get in then, i don't wear children's clothing.

When in Amsterdam, go to the train-station, than straight to Rotterdam kbyetnx.

haha, champion. [-;

Aye it was drizzly and cold when I was in Amsterdam too. Went to hear music at some sort of abandoned waterworks, down by the harbour on the other side of the tracks. Is it still there I wonder?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived