IGNORED

genetic algorithm car physics (update: version 2!)

chaosmachine

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's interesting, the cars actually become more aesthetically pleasing over time.

it's not that surprising really. cars are car-shaped because there's not really that many practical shapes to be made for a four (or in this case, two) wheeled vehicle with a low centre of gravity.

Guest Dirty Protest

Ever get the feeling youve been cheated. Ive had this running through The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer and a cup of tea, so all in all about 45 mins. So at generation 67 its still spunking out monoliths with spinning tops. Every now and again it flukes a car shape and judging from the graph at about gen 30 its went about 230, but apart from the one freak its constantly been a bit shat.

yeah, i'm on gen 13 and have yet to get past it.

also i know what you mean about emotional investment... every time some improbably shaped fuckup actually gets anywhere, i find myself rooting for the underdog.

the evolution seems to show a sharp tail-off over generations (in other words the really important stuff happens in the first 5 or 6 gens). this makes perfect sense with regards to random evolution if you think about it.

Guest analogue wings

the evolution seems to show a sharp tail-off over generations (in other words the really important stuff happens in the first 5 or 6 gens). this makes perfect sense with regards to random evolution if you think about it.

:facepalm:

:facepalm:

if you take a random poly with a set number of vertices and distort it by a certain percentage with each mutation within a single generation - choosing the one that performs best as the progenitor of the next iteration - and with a limit on the amount of deformation allowed (5% the default here), then what i said above makes perfect sense. diminishing returns on each mutation.

maybe i wasn't clear enough.

Archived