IGNORED

Yummy

miles36

He envisions football field-sized buildings filled with large bioreactors, or bioreactors the size of a coffee machine in grocery stores, to manufacture what he calls "charlem" -- "Charleston engineered meat."

lol!

charlem? hardly knewem!

i know i'm probably in the minority when i say this sounds like an awesome idea. i don't think many people would accept this technology. it's so silly though, can you imagine what the human race could achieve if people just fucking embraced this ridiculous future world we live in?

Guest fiznuthian

yeah i won't be eating that shit

grass-fed-beef-before-grilling-le-cense-0209.jpg

i'll have some pasture fed beef thank you

i'm willing to bet his lab grown meat will be deficient in fatty acids, fats, vitamins, and minerals

just like run of the mill supermarket steaks already are

Guest fiznuthian

h, he's making turkey meat.. well its probably still going nutritionless junk that gets subsidized and sold to poor people

why the fuck would you bother engineering food people wouldn't eat

why the fuck would you eat food you thought wasn't good enough for you

why the fuck would you bother bitching about it in this thread.

animal cruelty or not, i won't be eating this because meat is honestly kind of gross. i did briefly flirt with the stuff again last year, but it really just confirmed that for me. if they could grow a cruelty-free salmon fillet i might eat that.

in fact, having properly read the article this seems to rely pretty heavily on animal "by-products anyway". i'll pass.

i've been vegetarian for about 10 years (though i started eating fish about a year ago), and im all for this stuff. i haven't read the article, but yeah, if it's fake meat that looks, smells and tastes like real meat, then who cares, i'll eat it. just like i eat all these damn quorn products that are available now. also, this shit is totally future/blade runner.

i've been vegetarian for about 10 years (though i started eating fish about a year ago), and im all for this stuff. i haven't read the article, but yeah, if it's fake meat that looks, smells and tastes like real meat, then who cares, i'll eat it. just like i eat all these damn quorn products that are available now. also, this shit is totally future/blade runner.

quorn is awesome! i'm not a vegetarian but i love fake meat.

Guest fiznuthian

[fungophile]

yeah, quorn is awesome unless you're one of the few people who are allergic to

fursarium venenatum, the fungus from which quorn products are made..

kinda rare though.

it is entirely a mold, grown in giant vats and fed glucose.

it can grow 5 times its size on a substrate every hour.. :ohmy:

total blob status

i'd probably like it more if it didn't have so many flavorings and additives..

the nuggets would probably taste awful otherwise.

it seems quorn stopped using hydrogegenated oils and battery eggs in their products,

so i gotta give kudos for that.

[/fungophile]

there are a bunch of swedish quorn-like products too, tbh i've no idea what they're made of, some of them are awesome though.

Bacon240.jpg

^this stuff in pasta carbonara mmmhmm

Did you guys miss this part of the article?

"Bringing any new technology on the market, average, costs $1 billion. We don't even have $1 million."

They don't have the money to really get this project out of the lab.

Archived