IGNORED

Android Tablets

Guest El_Chemso

Guest El_Chemso

So when I first saw the ipad I was a bit like meh? But then I got an android phone, fell in love, we sleep next to each other every night, me getting sleep, her getting power.

But having become a student again and an avid reader of a number of web feeds via the phone I'd now like a tablet to peruse the vast amount of online literature pertaining to my course. I don't want to sit in front of the PC as its easy to get distracted and isn't suited for straight reading. However the tablet would be ideal.

I don't want to waste money and get a single core 2.2 system when Honeycomb as dual cores are just surfacing. I was waiting to see what HTC offered this week and the disappointing 7 inch only single core process Flyer that retails at €669 which is way to much is a very bad show. I could buy an ipad or a whole laptop for that.

So the Dell Steak, Xoom and a few others are looking promising so whats your thoughts watmm. What tablet to invest in over the coming months?

99% of apps are currently designed for tiny phone screens, so i would not expect a very good experience with an android tablet at the moment. if you're just using it as a browser, it's probably ok, but otherwise, i would wait.

Guest El_Chemso

The XOOM has just been priced at $799 which is £500 in uk monies.

I do pretty much want it for Web browsing, I have all the aps I need on my phone but as apps come set up for tablet I'll be able to get them.

Guest El_Chemso

I meant Apple fan boys, please don't come in saying how much better the iPad 2 is. Therefore hopefully keeping it a civil topic.

PS. Read the rules

PPS. What has watmm come to when a n00b that joins in 08 thinks its ok to talk directly to an old senior member like me. *shakes head* Its gone down hill ever since we stopped whipping folk.

Either the Xoom or the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 seem good. I don't like Motorola's hardware policies very much so if I were going to get an Android tablet it would probably be the Samsung Galaxy...

I love seeing people who gave me shit for getting an iphone and and ipad, go out and get an android phone and tablet.

you guys realize that us iphone and ipad users got it, because at the time, thats all there was, right? sure, we could have waited several years for others to catch up, but we didn't want to. but no, it was labeled as a trendy thing. heaven forbid it was because we saw how awesome the technology was, and wanted to use it. and we were obviously right, because now everyone has android phones, and next up the tablets.

id just like everyone to apologize for being antagonizing douches.

I have no allegiance to apple. outside of the fact that I like OSX more than Microsoft. I don't think there is a version of Live for Linux. I got an iphone, because at the time, there was no android. i got an ipad, because at the time, there was no honeycomb tablets. now that they're here, Ill probably switch over. 1. because AT&T and sucks. 2. because Verizon sucks. 3 because i am learning java, and objective-c is pretty much only used by the iphone/ipad and its clear that the market is moving to android.

ok. fine. ill sell my iphone and ipad. its getting to be a level playing field. but in the mean time, I enjoyed those technologies, and their offerings, while you didn't.

just stop calling my an apple fan boy. call me a new technology junky or whatever, but at least be accurate in your condescension.

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

I have a Barnes & Noble nook color. It's grrrrrrrrrrrreat! 250$ for a capacitive touchscreen + wifi. Has hardware support for baseline h264 so it's easy to convert movies.

I can scan for BT deviecs but associating starts a ticking clock and it crashes after < 5 minutes usually. One of these weekends I will dive into the USB Host if someone hasn't already solved that.

The place where a 3g modem would be is an empty pad... I wonder if it's connected to the SOC though, since I do have access to the specific 3g modem the original nook used, and the tools needed to solder it...

But even if you don't know how to compile kernels, it's still trivial to root this thing, and upgrade to Froyo or gingerbread if you want. Hell, even the stock OS after rooting is pretty good since you have access to the market. Google maps runs very nicely on the stock os.

I have not tried honeycomb on it yet. The screen works great though -- however for some apps it would be nice to have all of the buttons persistently on the touchscreen.

Guest El_Chemso

ok. fine. ill sell my iphone and ipad. its getting to be a level playing field. but in the mean time, I enjoyed those technologies, and their offerings, while you didn't.

just stop calling my an apple fan boy. call me a new technology junky or whatever, but at least be accurate in your condescension.

Got nothing against apple at all, glad they started the push and were the takers of the first step to get it all rolling. Nothing wrong with been a fan of apple. I just don't want to hear about ipads as I'm not in the market for one.

Samsung Galaxy does look good, they need to hurry up an release a few thou.

one thing is for sure, NOW would be really bad timing to buy a tablet. Also, once there are actually different devices to choose from (summer?), prices should maybe drop also..

Got nothing against apple at all, glad they started the push and were the takers of the first step to get it all rolling. Nothing wrong with been a fan of apple. I just don't want to hear about ipads as I'm not in the market for one.

I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to rule out the iPad as a choice, unless you are specifically excluding them simply because it IS Apple, which in that case, you are still doing yourself a disservice, because beyond the marketing hype, there is a reason Apple's sold a shitload of them compared to the Galaxy Tab or Dell Streak, and I reckon once it comes out, even the Xoom (which looks like the most promising yet, with perhaps the RIM Playbook being another contender). Personally I find the Galaxy Tab's form factor and screen too narrow for practical browsing or other apps.

Joyrex: I'm talking about the upcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1 - this thing looks very nice indeed.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/13/samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-official-tegra-2-honeycomb-dual-camer/

Indeed - it will be interesting (as mentioned before) as other companies innovate, how Apple will respond - gone I think are the days where Apple dictated what goes into a mobile device (FM radios being still somewhat absent from Apple's iPod line, whereas almost any other MP3 player has one).

Joyrex: I'm talking about the upcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1 - this thing looks very nice indeed.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/13/samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-official-tegra-2-honeycomb-dual-camer/

Indeed - it will be interesting (as mentioned before) as other companies innovate, how Apple will respond - gone I think are the days where Apple dictated what goes into a mobile device (FM radios being still somewhat absent from Apple's iPod line, whereas almost any other MP3 player has one).

radio...radio...the term rings a bell but I'm lost....what is this, some form of new-fangled technology? ;)

Guest El_Chemso

one thing is for sure, NOW would be really bad timing to buy a tablet. Also, once there are actually different devices to choose from (summer?), prices should maybe drop also..

Yeah I think your right. But it would be great for some serious reading right about now. :(

I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to rule out the iPad as a choice, unless you are specifically excluding them simply because it IS Apple, which in that case, you are still doing yourself a disservice, because beyond the marketing hype, there is a reason Apple's sold a shitload of them compared to the Galaxy Tab or Dell Streak, and I reckon once it comes out, even the Xoom (which looks like the most promising yet, with perhaps the RIM Playbook being another contender). Personally I find the Galaxy Tab's form factor and screen too narrow for practical browsing or other apps.

I'm not big into the apple scene, I have an ipod mini, its been great had it since forever. I use iTunes but I don't fancy and ipad I just prefer the ethos behind android really. Plus I'm learning programming for the android system so would like to have my peripherals android. I don't know the apple IOS might be the same Java.

No, I've just begun learning. I'm in the second semester of classes at the city college. So far ive taken intro to java, intro to HTML,, and intro to unix. This semester I'm taking the next level of java, the next level off HTML/XHTML, and a class called software engineering which goes over the process of how software is developed from first idea all the way to release and support. Learning a LOT in that class. The teacher is kind of introducing us to the Ruby programming language for the purposes of the class. It's crazy efficient. I really like java though... So far it all makes sense. I'm also grading homework for the intro java class this semester. It's a good way to solidify my own knowledge! There is an android class being offered in the fall which I am going to take (same prof from the software engineering class which makes me happy). By December I'll have a certificate in Java, and then I can take the official oracle/java programmer test. Id like to do more self studying on android but it's just not possible with my schedule (full time job in addition to all of that^ no days off at all). Anyways, yeah, I really dig programming. It's fun and I get it, and there is job potential there. Kind of wish I'd have gotten into it earlier!

No, I've just begun learning. I'm in the second semester of classes at the city college. So far ive taken intro to java, intro to HTML,, and intro to unix. This semester I'm taking the next level of java, the next level off HTML/XHTML, and a class called software engineering which goes over the process of how software is developed from first idea all the way to release and support. Learning a LOT in that class. The teacher is kind of introducing us to the Ruby programming language for the purposes of the class. It's crazy efficient. I really like java though... So far it all makes sense. I'm also grading homework for the intro java class this semester. It's a good way to solidify my own knowledge! There is an android class being offered in the fall which I am going to take (same prof from the software engineering class which makes me happy). By December I'll have a certificate in Java, and then I can take the official oracle/java programmer test. Id like to do more self studying on android but it's just not possible with my schedule (full time job in addition to all of that^ no days off at all). Anyways, yeah, I really dig programming. It's fun and I get it, and there is job potential there. Kind of wish I'd have gotten into it earlier!

i've been learning java for several months (i tend to code in inform these days). By now, i think I master every aspect of java's syntax (except enums - deprecated. and some bizarre boolean shits.). I'm far from being confortable with code design (production and analysis) as i'm self taught, so i tend to code in a lazy and anarchic way. But i'd be glad to help you : i spent a considerable amount of time geTING FUCKING MAD over silly errors, so if i can prevent you from going bongo bongo in your head, I'd be relieved. Don't expect me to be able to resolve every problem you might encounter, but i might be able to quickly find solutions for a couples stuffs. Just PenisMassage me so that we share our IM coordinates.

Also, have a look at the java bytecode with (from memory): javap YourClass. It's interesting and demystifies a lot of things

And don't try understanding programming books too hard. They'll make a lot more sense later, when you know the language.

it's funny how debates break out when people start talking about cool gadgets. i don't know much about tablets but i love my android phone and i think an android tablet would be a great thing to have.

Archived