IGNORED

Wisconsin Protests

J3FF3R00

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest disparaissant

CNN Breaking: The Wisconsin Assembly has passed a GOP bill that would take away key union rights, CNN confirms.

still needs to be passed in the senate though, which should be more challenging

Democrats launched a filibuster, throwing out dozens of amendments and delivering rambling speeches. Each time Republicans tried to speed up the proceedings, Democrats rose from their seats and wailed that the GOP was stifling them.

Debate had gone on for 60 hours and 15 Democrats were still waiting to speak when the vote started around 1 a.m. Friday. Speaker Pro Tem Bill Kramer, R-Waukesha, opened the roll and closed it within seconds.

Democrats looked around, bewildered. Only 13 of the 38 Democratic members managed to vote in time.

Words fail me.

CNN Breaking: The Wisconsin Assembly has passed a GOP bill that would take away key union rights, CNN confirms.

still needs to be passed in the senate though, which should be more challenging

Democrats launched a filibuster, throwing out dozens of amendments and delivering rambling speeches. Each time Republicans tried to speed up the proceedings, Democrats rose from their seats and wailed that the GOP was stifling them.

Debate had gone on for 60 hours and 15 Democrats were still waiting to speak when the vote started around 1 a.m. Friday. Speaker Pro Tem Bill Kramer, R-Waukesha, opened the roll and closed it within seconds.

Democrats looked around, bewildered. Only 13 of the 38 Democratic members managed to vote in time.

Words fail me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGDp581g9t0&feature=player_embedded

Ahhh, good ol' 2-party American democracy - cheat to win!!!

Ahhh, good ol' 2-party American democracy - cheat to win!!!

cheating is in all forms of government, America just streamlined it!

FOX gets it right for once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuuUV94bOW0&feature=player_embedded

OMG!

1:23 ... "Just by telling the facts, you're angering a lot of people".

:ohmy:

FOX News is even cracking.

That dude is getting FIRED!

That's Juan Williams, he was that guy let go/fired by NPR. And experience with NPR is likely why he's the only rational and sane person I can think of currently on Fox News.

if youve ever had the pleasure of meeting him in real life, i think you'd change your opinion pretty quickly.

FOX gets it right for once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuuUV94bOW0&feature=player_embedded

OMG!

1:23 ... "Just by telling the facts, you're angering a lot of people".

:ohmy:

FOX News is even cracking.

That dude is getting FIRED!

That's Juan Williams, he was that guy let go/fired by NPR. And experience with NPR is likely why he's the only rational and sane person I can think of currently on Fox News.

if youve ever had the pleasure of meeting him in real life, i think you'd change your opinion pretty quickly.

I actually met with him briefly after he gave a talk here yesterday at my work. He seemed like a very reasonable fellow though a bit conservative for my tastes.

"We have been ordered by the legislature to kick you all out at 4:00 today. But we know what's right from wrong. We will not be kicking anyone out, in fact, we will be sleeping here with you!"

- Madison, Wisconsin Police

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/02/26/wisconsin-cops-for-t.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVE_rLjxnfU&feature=player_embedded

I'm going to be protesting at City Hall in NYC in about an haur. I hope to see you there.

If you live somewhere else, here is a way for you to find where your nearest protest is...

http://pol.moveon.org/event/events/index.html?rc=fb.11&action_id=238

Guest disparaissant

at the very least it will be really fun watching the media try to spin this

hopefully it at least costs walker his job. he needs to be in office a year before we can do a recall vote but at this rate he'll get nothing done in that year.

don't assume i've read this specific bill, but cops probably have the greatest incentive of all public workers to maintain their union. it's tough though because a lot of police officers make way too much in retirement and many make way too little when they're newbies on the force.

the state is basically out of money, along with many others, including NY which has been trying to deal with their budget since blind man paterson declared a statewide hiring freeze 1-2 years ago. so it will be interesting to see how they deal with it if walker can't gouge the unions, which was probably his plan all along.

Archived