IGNORED

HOUSE

Guest Etch

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An excellent doccumentary about the origins of House in New York.

pib.jpg

http://vimeo.com/14316234

"It's hard to imagine a more outcast group in American society than black and hispanic homosexuals. Jennie Livingston's landmark documentary shows how this group, bound by common rejection, constructs a subculture that has its own norms, values and language. The film celebrates the vitality and resourcefulness of a group that is subcultural without being countercultural; its denizens don't wish to replace dominant culture, they long to become members of the society they imitate.

An unblinking behind the scenes story of fashion obsessed New Yorkers who created "voguing" and drag balls , and turned these raucous celebrations into a powerful expression pf personal pride. The world within a world is instantly familiar, filled with ambitions, desires and yearnings that reflect America itself.

Style is the chief weapon used by transvestites and their entourages. Style is pervasive in speech, vocabulary, manner, dress and attitude. Style is a way of appearing to be "real," a way of appearing to be something that one isn't.

Livingston aimed to raise consciousness in a film dictated by strong ideas about gender-defined behavior, homophobia, and racism. The movie was made to prove that sexual identity is a product of social construction and as such can be liberating or confining for people. "

House didn't originate in new york.

I know, I'm sorry. I worded that badly. I Should have said early days or something. I hope we can get over this. Maybe post a track or something yeah?

Guest Richy

excellent John Roberts mix here

http://www.littlewhiteearbuds.com/podcast/lwe-podcast-59-john-roberts/

01. KC Flight, “Summer Madness” (Sex For Days Mix) [RCA]

02. Robert Owens, “I’ll Be Your Friend” (Dead Zone Mix) [RCA]

03. T. Kolai, “9.11″ [ibadan]

04. Pop Stars, “Pop Goes The House” (Dub Instrumental Edit) [bCM Records]

05. Kerri “Kaoz 6:23″ Chandler, “Where Is Love” [Madhouse Records Inc.]

06. Trey Lorenz, “Photograph of Mary” (Moody Dub) [Epic]

07. Virgo Four, “Take Me Higher” [Trax Records]

08. Sfire, “Sfire #2″ [white*]

09. Virgo Four, “Take Me Higher” [Trax Records]

10. Mark Imperial & Co., “She Ain’t Nuthin’ But A Hoe” (Dissin’ All Hoes 46th Street Dub) [House Nation Records]

11. Jody “Fingers” Finch, “Jack Your Big Booty” (BHQ No Acid Vocal)[Let's Pet Puppies]

12. John Roberts, “Porcelain” [Dial]

13. Bluejeans Regime, “Untrue Affection” (Dark Club Mix) [brainiak Records]

14. MJB, “Seven Days” (Shelter Instrumental) [underground Access]

15. Blackman, “Beat That Bitch With A Bat”[Rush Hour Recordings/Trax Records]

16. G Strings, “Motivation” [G Strings]

17. Risqué Rythum Team, “122 House” [Chicago Connection Records]

18. Decadance, “On And On (Fears Keep On)” (Dub Version) [Proto Records]

The London House scene isn't very gay at all. The amount of hot women who attend is mind blowing.

Thanks to my sisters Display Name, Richy, Azatoth and funkaholic for the posts. Really great taste y'all.

xxx knows where its at.

And regardless of if you like anything to do with House music, Paris is Burning is a fucking amazing doccumentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SODzvhbbnlw&tracker=False

we watched paris is burning at work and we all loved it, its reminded us of a guy who use to work with us who was this gay black guy from new york who was a lot like some of the people in the film, anyway by the end of it we wanted to a voguing battle, unfortunately it never happened. theres a house/techno night in london called caligula, which use to be held this old bath houses near liverpool street station which, in the 1950s, was used by men to meet other men. watching paris is burning reminded me of it as the night is pretty gay and full of extravagantly dressed boys and girls. at one point this guy in drag (who also had a massive beard) jumps on stage and starts miming along to these disco tracks.

theres a good house night coming up in london, here

these two are playing

• 2 weeks later...

Archived