IGNORED

Oldboy

Bubba69

Guest AcrossCanyons

Anybody who wasn't amazed by the final (by final, I mean the big reveal) scene is a cyborg in my eyes. I was absolutely shocked and amazed by it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squee, have you seen the original 1960 "The Housemaid"? Fantastic movie, and pretty shocking, especially for 1960.

[youtubehd]cm7zZcvnw04[/youtubehd]

No, I haven't but I will now. They've just made a remake of it, right? It looks sexy.

i keep meaning to watch thirst but i never get around to it. someone tell me its worth watchign please

i enjoyed the vengeance trilogy very much

thirst is definately worth a watch. how many times have we heard a film promoted as a vampire film with a modern twist? this is exactly that imo.

if u like korean films i suggest u watch my girlfriend is a nine-taled fox i watch it every night before bed it is a lot like oldboys

400px-MyGirlfriendGumiho.jpg

yo my girlfriend is a gumiho is literally nothing like oldboy lol. but it is absolutely adorable and really fucking entertaining to watch, especially if u have a korean girlfriend like i do <3<3<3

Oldboy is far from perfect... lets face it, the big reveal at the end is RIDICULOUS, and it's probably not as groudbreaking as many seem to think it is, but that didn't stop me from thinking it was freakin' awesome! I can never find the DVD of this anywhere, and I don't really like ordering online that much anymore... but I guess I'll have to give in if it means I can finally watch it again.

I wasn't into Mr Vengence or Lady Vengence AT ALL. That said, Sympathy for Mr Vengence is certainly well crafted, and I can respect it, but it wasn't as... engaging (I don't think enjoyable is the right word for a films like these) as Oldboy. Lady Vengence is just plain awful. Really painful to sit through.

Thirst is great! That one really does deserve the descriptor of being "fucked up" (I agree Oldboy is relatively "normal"). But it's incredibly fun to watch, and cringe at all the disturbingness. And it has a really really awkwardly long sex scene, so watching it in the cinema or with people that normally get turned off by that kind of thing is a treat :P

Then there's... I think it's called I'm a Cyborg and I'm Ok? something like that... can't be bothered looking it up... anyway, haven't seen it, but apparently it's fantastic, really keen to watch that one. I hope I'm not mistaken but I'm pretty sure it's the same director.

i am so confused—why is your judgement totally backwards? I'm A Cyborg is wholeheartedly unfantastic, Thirst isn't better than any of the Vengeance trilogy (nor is it noticeably "fucked up" in comparison to an obviously twisted, incestual OldBoy), and why do you feel that way about the big reveal at the end of OldBoy?

Guest AcrossCanyons

Oldboy is far from perfect... lets face it, the big reveal at the end is RIDICULOUS, and it's probably not as groudbreaking as many seem to think it is, but that didn't stop me from thinking it was freakin' awesome! I can never find the DVD of this anywhere, and I don't really like ordering online that much anymore... but I guess I'll have to give in if it means I can finally watch it again.

I wasn't into Mr Vengence or Lady Vengence AT ALL. That said, Sympathy for Mr Vengence is certainly well crafted, and I can respect it, but it wasn't as... engaging (I don't think enjoyable is the right word for a films like these) as Oldboy. Lady Vengence is just plain awful. Really painful to sit through.

Thirst is great! That one really does deserve the descriptor of being "fucked up" (I agree Oldboy is relatively "normal"). But it's incredibly fun to watch, and cringe at all the disturbingness. And it has a really really awkwardly long sex scene, so watching it in the cinema or with people that normally get turned off by that kind of thing is a treat :P

Then there's... I think it's called I'm a Cyborg and I'm Ok? something like that... can't be bothered looking it up... anyway, haven't seen it, but apparently it's fantastic, really keen to watch that one. I hope I'm not mistaken but I'm pretty sure it's the same director.

i am so confused—why is your judgement totally backwards? I'm A Cyborg is wholeheartedly unfantastic, Thirst isn't better than any of the Vengeance trilogy (nor is it noticeably "fucked up" in comparison to an obviously twisted, incestual OldBoy), and why do you feel that way about the big reveal at the end of OldBoy?

Might want to edit/spoiler that post.

Squee, have you seen the original 1960 "The Housemaid"? Fantastic movie, and pretty shocking, especially for 1960.

[youtubehd]cm7zZcvnw04[/youtubehd]

No, I haven't but I will now. They've just made a remake of it, right? It looks sexy.

I heard the remake wasn't as good as the original, but I haven't seen either so definitely fill us in if you watch it. My Sassy Girl is fun—pretty tame in comparison to a lot of the movies discussed in this thread, but those watching Korean dramas would fit this into their viewing routine pretty smoothly. 200 Pounds Beauty is also pretty ridiculous.

As far as Korean films go, the director Kim Ji-Woon is pretty stellar. A few movies REALLY worth checking out are:

The Good, The Bad, The Weird, which stars a personal favorite, Kang-Ho Song, who was also in The Host and one of the Vengeance trilogy movies—can't remember which:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjm9gAjgRuU

I Saw the Devil, which stars my other personal favorite, Min-Sik Choi, who appeared in both OldBoy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. This movie is especially fucked and suspenseful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY5Fq68To0E

Kim also directed A Tale of Two Sisters, The Quiet Family (which is a loose Happiness of the Katakuris remake) and A Bittersweet Life, the latter of which I didn't see, but the former two are also excellent.

And regarding Korean dramas, I cannot fucking suggest Dream High, My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, 1st Shop of Coffee Prince and Secret Garden enough. Real talk here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgfr3g2c830

try and not get this song stuck in your head. i fucking dare you.

BTW Joint Security Area by Park Chan-Wook is also great.

edit: if one of the mods wants to edit out the OldBoy spoiler from my post two posts up, that's cool. if not, whatever—the movie's been out for eight years. Bruce Willis is dead.

Guest Billov

Oldboy was great. The manga had the biggest load of shitballs ending ever, but Park really twisted it around and made something truly shocking and sickeningly satisfying.

Mr. Vengeance was good stuff, would definitely watch again.

Lady Vengeance rubbed me so wrong.. thought it was awful, it just didn't feel like a cohesive film.

I'm a Cyborg I enjoyed. Its like Park Chan Wook doing a romantic comedy, but it all comes together quite well.

This thread inspired me to treat a new ladyfriend to a viewing last night. midway through i got a bj, whislt watching oldboy. this thread wails.

also keep up the reccomendations! good bad and weird is queued along with i saw the devil!

Interesting that people are so divided on Lady Vengeance. I think it contains a lot of real Korean cultural traits that kind of make it somewhat difficult to wrap their heads around. I love the Vengeance trilogy though.

I'm a Cyborg...was not bad. Not great. Haven't seen Thirst. JSA was awesome.

Kim Ki-Duk is wonderful, but for all is fucked up shit, I really really really love "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring".

if u like korean films i suggest u watch my girlfriend is a nine-taled fox i watch it every night before bed it is a lot like oldboys

400px-MyGirlfriendGumiho.jpg

yo my girlfriend is a gumiho is literally nothing like oldboy lol. but it is absolutely adorable and really fucking entertaining to watch, especially if u have a korean girlfriend like i do <3<3<3

lol yeah, that was a joke. i do like watching it with my girlfriend as well to be honest though.

thread got off to a rocky start, but i think it's about time we had a Korean cinema thread.

I 2nd Daytime Drinking, fun movie. I'm a Cyborg was disappointing. Thirst was smokin' sexy.

but aside from Park Chan-wook, the other big director in my eyes is Kim Ki-duk.

He's made several incredible films, but here's a couple standouts:

[youtubehd]jdRkhD_hmo0[/youtubehd]

I LOVED that film! And I really wanna see 3-Iron but I always forget to look for it.

apparently Korean girls are fucking gorgeous.

and psychotic.

and no, korean-americans don't count.

edit: bittersweet life (i wonder why they chose this as the English name, the korean translates to "Sweet Life") was alright, a little predictable though. But Lee Byung-Hun is awesome in it.

Guest Al Hounos

t Dream High, My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, 1st Shop of Coffee Prince and Secret Garden enough. Real talk here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgfr3g2c830

try and not get this song stuck in your head. i fucking dare you.

ha, didn't think anyone else on WATMM watched k-dramas. i loved coffee prince and secret garden. secret garden had such an impact on korea that all the girls started dressing like Ha Ji-won, with tights and neon green nike running shoes.

i loved Personal Taste / Gaein's Taste as well.

btw, Korean girlfriend in the US? you're living the dream. :sup:

Archived