• n/a
  4. 4. which version have you read?

• king james version
    • new american standard
    • new international version
    • douay?rheims bible
    • other
    • n/a
  5. 5. have you read any of these other sacred texts?

• mahābhārata
    • threefold lotus sutra
    • qur'an
    • tanakh
    • dianetics
    • te-tao ching
    • other
    • n/a
    • orange shart napkin from subway

Guest nene multiple assgasms

proverbs, ecclesiastes, and song of solomon all go right hand-in-hand... i'd like you to point out where ecclesiastes says no afterlife though

maybe you're thinking of "eat, drink, and be merry: for tomorrow, we die" which does not equal no afterlife, plus solomon was human after all

from ecclesiastes 9:

3 This is the evil in everything that happens under the sun: The same destiny overtakes all. The hearts of people, moreover, are full of evil and there is madness in their hearts while they live, and afterward they join the dead. 4 Anyone who is among the living has hope—even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!

5 For the living know that they will die,

but the dead know nothing;

they have no further reward,

and even their name is forgotten.

6 Their love, their hate

and their jealousy have long since vanished;

never again will they have a part

in anything that happens under the sun.

I just remembered another of my favorite parts from the bible so far. when some greeks mistake paul and barnabas for hermes and zeus it felt like a marvel and dc comics crossover. I got a similar vibe when paul debates a group of epicurean and stoic philosophers. I wonder if the epicureans laid the problem of evil on paul.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tht tne

proverbs, ecclesiastes, and song of solomon all go right hand-in-hand... i'd like you to point out where ecclesiastes says no afterlife though

maybe you're thinking of "eat, drink, and be merry: for tomorrow, we die" which does not equal no afterlife, plus solomon was human after all

from ecclesiastes 9:

3 This is the evil in everything that happens under the sun: The same destiny overtakes all. The hearts of people, moreover, are full of evil and there is madness in their hearts while they live, and afterward they join the dead. 4 Anyone who is among the living has hope—even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!

5 For the living know that they will die,

but the dead know nothing;

they have no further reward,

and even their name is forgotten.

6 Their love, their hate

and their jealousy have long since vanished;

never again will they have a part

in anything that happens under the sun.

I just remembered another of my favorite parts from the bible so far. when some greeks mistake paul and barnabas for hermes and zeus it felt like a marvel and dc comics crossover. I got a similar vibe when paul debates a group of epicurean and stoic philosophers. I wonder if the epicureans laid the problem of evil on paul.

you might want to remember that "dead" in the bible often refers to those not saved by grace through faith

Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Ezekiel 18:4... the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

everyone dies, but not everyone is resurrected to life eternal

are you seriously suggesting ohinternet as an ED replacement? :facepalm:

there's nothing wrong with it, but it's more watered-down wikified knowyourmeme than ED.

if you need convincing, just register an account, make an article, and use the word nigger in it.

nigger is a terrible, offensive word, which has no place anywhere, and it is in fact part of the reason ED went to shit in the last two-ish years (speaking as an ED editor). we spent most of our time deleting unfunny articles which were either just racism and nothing else or else 'john is a guy i go to school with. fuck him.' - anyway, try and use the 'n' over there. you can't.

Guest tht tne

are you seriously suggesting ohinternet as an ED replacement? :facepalm:

there's nothing wrong with it, but it's more watered-down wikified knowyourmeme than ED.

if you need convincing, just register an account, make an article, and use the word nigger in it.

nigger is a terrible, offensive word, which has no place anywhere, and it is in fact part of the reason ED went to shit in the last two-ish years (speaking as an ED editor).

but still, try and use it over there. you can't.

look at your logic here, please

your logic: ED is gone, please use ohinternet as your ED replacement.

my logic: ED was the home of unrestricted, uncensored, make-it-as-offensive-as-you-like humour. ohinternet is not that.

Guest tht tne

your logic: ED is gone, please use ohinternet as your ED replacement.

my logic: ED was the home of unrestricted, uncensored, make-it-as-offensive-as-you-like humour. ohinternet is not that.

it's still amazing me how you know the intent behind my posts

not

Guest tht tne

please explain the intent behind your posts. preferably with diagrams.

i don't need to, because you apparently think you already know everything, e.d. editor

Guest tht tne

lame, lame, lame

there's more than me on watmm, dude

and i have no beef with you

well you could stand to be a bit nicer, i think

Guest tht tne

I haven't read it but I have no particular reason not to. I feel like the Bible would be a pretty badass read so long as you read it as fiction and not non-fiction.

i have to admit some of it is repetitive and boring, but i get a lot out of it each time i read it... then again, i believe it's true

Read up heavily on Quantum Physics and String Theory and then tell me you still believe that religious nonsense.

Actually, it has been my personal experience from school and whatnot that Ph.D level folks in chemistry and physics have been some of the biggest defenders of a God concept. I don't know as many Christian biologists though. I think the constant retard argument on the public level regarding evolution either turned them off or they didn't want to self-identify with Evangelicals.

i haven't read heavily on either of those topics, but all they do is strengthen my faith... people espousing those schools of thought admit themselves that there's far more they don't know than what they do know - how is an omniscient god not more appealing than that?

you might want to remember that "dead" in the bible often refers to those not saved by grace through faith

Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

ecclesiastes is the old testament. the author of the book would have known nothing of jesus much less paul's doctrine.

Guest tht tne

ecclesiastes is the old testament. the author of the book would have known nothing of jesus much less paul's doctrine.

that is quite an atheist thing to say... are you telling me that no one in the bible knew who jesus would become?

Isaiah 9:2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined .

the lotus sutra is the biggest load of bullshit i've ever read.

The Lotus Sutra also indicates (in Chapter 4) that emptiness (śūnyatā) is not the ultimate vision to be attained by the aspirant Bodhisattva: the attainment of Buddha Wisdom is indicated to be a bliss-bestowing treasure that transcends seeing all as merely empty or merely labeled.

that's not bullshit, imo... still needs more jesus christ though

I haven't read it but I have no particular reason not to. I feel like the Bible would be a pretty badass read so long as you read it as fiction and not non-fiction.

i have to admit some of it is repetitive and boring, but i get a lot out of it each time i read it... then again, i believe it's true

Read up heavily on Quantum Physics and String Theory and then tell me you still believe that religious nonsense.

Actually, it has been my personal experience from school and whatnot that Ph.D level folks in chemistry and physics have been some of the biggest defenders of a God concept. I don't know as many Christian biologists though. I think the constant retard argument on the public level regarding evolution either turned them off or they didn't want to self-identify with Evangelicals.

this, for me, is one of the most interesting aspects of quantum theory. it really is a headfuck. sooooo, observing an experiment can change its outcome? that must imply that there's a god!

nope.

it's a classic example of 'look at it the other way round, and the paradox disappears' stuff. in order to observe something, photons need to reach your 'eyeballs' - in quotes because eyeballs aren't up to the job - we need a more precise measuring device! so, in order to observe this particular something we need to have photons reaching a measuring device. BUT the particles we're measuring are so tiny and so easily perturbed that the sheer fact that we're bouncing photons off em - the same photons that are reaching our measuring device - well, these photons just by bouncing off the particles in question influence their outcome, and what happens. what goes into our measuring devices are tiny tiny little pool balls. and even though they're tiny, they still manage to influence the bigger pool balls - the ones involved in the experiment.

i haven't read heavily on either of those topics, but all they do is strengthen my faith... people espousing those schools of thought admit themselves that there's far more they don't know than what they do know - how is an omniscient god not more appealing than that?

Here here! A scientist blinding himself away from archaic religious connections is only dampening his aperture on the reality of science. Also, using Quantum mechanics/astrophysics/mathematical theories as arguments against religion as being illogical is only selling one's self to the idea that science is its own religion. Making base conclusions on the harmonies and intricacies of the universe ultimately strengthens the existence of God. It's like being on two different mountains but still looking upon the same vast ocean. Two different perspectives, but the same ocean still exists.

the lotus sutra is the biggest load of bullshit i've ever read.

The Lotus Sutra also indicates (in Chapter 4) that emptiness (śūnyatā) is not the ultimate vision to be attained by the aspirant Bodhisattva: the attainment of Buddha Wisdom is indicated to be a bliss-bestowing treasure that transcends seeing all as merely empty or merely labeled.

that's not bullshit, imo... still needs more jesus christ though

it's not bullshit i suppose, but certainly the western ideas and stereotypes of buddhism COMPLETELY shatter to the ground after reading the lotus sutra. a bunch of sexist, racist, classist fables that are more hateful and discriminatory than any christian story i've read.

now the tao te ching.... it's like the music for airports of religious texts.

The Tao Te Ching is my favorite sacred text. The I Ching is pretty good too.

same. i think it is like the most 'accurate' and clearly reasonable spiritual / sacred writing or explanation.

i think it might open up.

in fact, i was at a certain point where i really basically wrote off most other stuff in place of the Tao because I felt the Tao / Zen was the only way to go.

actually, I think I'll probably return to that point soon.

the Tibetan Book of the Dead is very intriguing though and I'm starting to actually really want to read up on some perhaps more 'mystical' things. such as higher entities, Gods, spirits, and so on. the Tao doesn't touch on that sort of thing very much.

it basically gives the description of the universe as essentially clarified by science and the direction science is heading in, and the logical way to go with that 'knowledge / wisdom.'

it seems as though Buddhism preaches additional bits on top of the Tao... I'm having trouble seeing the difference. but it's there. Tao has this kind of rigid but simple quality to it. while Buddhism [as far as my very limited understanding goes] is more based around this idea of joy and love/compassion.

suffice to say, I've been living the Taoist mindset for a while and I'm definitely going to be heading more towards the colors of Buddhism over the next year or so.

you know, pick and choose.

that is quite an atheist thing to say... are you telling me that no one in the bible knew who jesus would become?

Isaiah 9:2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined .

gee golly it's funny you should say that seeing as I am an atheist. I doubt there's any such thing as the future apart from its use as a conceptual tool. that isaiah quote is vague as shit. have you done any research into how the bible was put together e.g. the documentary hypothesis and such?

http://madmikesamerica.com/2011/04/six-failed-bible-prophecies/

Archived